Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Excel help...

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Hi Spreadsheet Stars.

Ths is probably really easy but I don't know the correct terminology to Google it....

Column A contains names of people, e.g. A1 = John Smith, A2 = Bill Jones
Col B contains the result of a formula that produces an integer, e.g B1 = 2, B2 = 38 (there's no relationship between Col A and Col B)
I would like to use the integer from Col B to show the value of Col A in Col C.

For example if B15 = 54, in cell C15 I would like to display the the contents of A54

Thanks in advance for any help (y)

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Hi Spreadsheet Stars.

Ths is probably really easy but I don't know the correct terminology to Google it....

Column A contains names of people, e.g. A1 = John Smith, A2 = Bill Jones
Col B contains the result of a formula that produces an integer, e.g B1 = 2, B2 = 38 (there's no relationship between Col A and Col B)
I would like to use the integer from Col B to show the value of Col A in Col C.

For example if B15 = 54, in cell C15 I would like to display the the contents of A54

Thanks in advance for any help (y)

If I understand correctly it sounds like you need to use the Vlookup function

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
If I understand correctly it sounds like you need to use the Vlookup function

In which case you we need a new 1st column with the row number in eg. A1 would need 1, A2 would need 2 etc. Not sure it would work as you integer is a formula not a number unless you copied and pasted down the column with the resulting integers to overwrite the formulas

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The easiest way is to have Column A as numbers 1-X, Column B with the names, Column C with the generated integers and then in D1 have =INDEX(A:B,MATCH(C1,A:A),2) and copy this down.

Index Match is a bit more robust than a Vlookup, as it will automatically change if you subsequently add in columns.

It is possible without the column of numbers in A, but more complicated.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As above flip the columns round, so the number is COL A and the names in COL B

You can then use VLOOKUP

Or (as I tell everyone these days) dump formulas completely and use Power Query.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here