[News] Swansea to boycott social media for a week

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Yes!

Anything to raise more awareness and put more pressure on social media companies to be held more accountable for what they allow to be published.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...social-media-in-fight-against-abhorrent-abuse

Do you think we should join in with them?

I do.

I think if all the clubs joined in, this would create a powerful message

Thread rule. No need to for wider discussion about racism. More about whether more action could or should be taken against social media companies in light of the increasing reports of abuse.

It's commendable, but I'm not sure Brighton joining them for the week would impact on the social media sites all that much. It would need the big teams, it would need Man Utd, Liverpool, etc. And even then, most of these social media sites are run by Americans who probably wouldn't think too much about losing football fans. It would need a much more significant boycott that is met with regular users also boycotting. Unfortunately, too many of us are addicted to social media. For some it's not an addiction so much as their main forum for connection with family/friends/the outside world. So I'm not sure how much it would all help.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's commendable, but I'm not sure Brighton joining them for the week would impact on the social media sites all that much. It would need the big teams, it would need Man Utd, Liverpool, etc. And even then, most of these social media sites are run by Americans who probably wouldn't think too much about losing football fans. It would need a much more significant boycott that is met with regular users also boycotting. Unfortunately, too many of us are addicted to social media. For some it's not an addiction so much as their main forum for connection with family/friends/the outside world. So I'm not sure how much it would all help.

Maybe, you're right, but if 2 or 3 clubs said they were joining in, you can imagine the stream would quickly become a torrent with nobody wanting to look like they were last.

If all the football clubs did it, then CSR depts in big companies would be looking at this as a quick win and so it goes on

Overall of course, the number of people on social media would barely reduce. But the fact that it's so topical would heap pressure on them to take greater action than they are currently taking.

From a cynical point of view, clubs and companies might be looking at this as an opportunity to direct people to their sites for info rather than twitter etc

I suspect it will take a lot more than that for our social media overlords to employ enough people to moderate their sites, but like taking the knee it's a start and not doing it doesn't magically help the cause

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly, will have no effect whatsoever Swansea some irrelevant drop in the ocean to Farcebook. What percentage of fans even check their club’s social media anyway?
How can you say that when tiny wee shockwaves will clearly reverberate around the Swansea area for a week? ???

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Funnily enough I was thinking about this just last night as I listened to a conversation on 5 Live between Clinton Morrison and Andros Townsend about this issue and what could be done. During this debate they both raised the point of clubs boycotting the main social media platforms.

It does seem that the clubs are quite prepared to condemn the on-line abuse their players receive but (up until now with Swansea) have been unwilling to take positive action. I expect the reason for this is a concern around the potential impact on their commercial activity / marketing reach. What other reason could there be?

But if their staff are being abused on certain SM platforms, you'd like to think that out of a duty of care and show of support for their employees the clubs would stop endorsing these sites until safeguards are put in place that either stop the abuse or mean those posting it can be traced and prosecuted.

For the record, I don't believe a one week boycott will effect any positive change. It needs to be ALL 92 clubs, plus the PL, EFL and the FA for good - until the SM platforms get their act together. They can condemn it all they like but unless they are willing to step up then their words and statements are hollow and impotent.

Time for another strongly-worded 'warm-up' shirt, then...

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Swansea coming off social media for a week does and achieves absolutely nothing at all, other than denying their genuine and passionate fans the opportunity to see the training pictures and build up to and fall out from the matches. Therefore, I am out. It's a gesture with no trousers for me. The social media companies should be regulated, and you should be liable for every comment you make. If a comment is reported by any user, the company should immediately be able to trace who made the comment and take the appropriate action.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The only thing that would stop it would be to impose heavy fines on the media outlets which carry these idiots racist ramblings.

Agree completely. These websites are owned and therefore the owners should be accountable for all content. Bozza has mentioned many times his concern that he may be personally liable for offensive content on NSC. Odd that this does not apply to multi billionaire owned Facebook, Instagram etc. Surely some geek somewhere can create an algorithm that removes all racist content ? The only obstacle must be the free speech lobby.

D

Deleted member 22389

I don’t think Facebook etc will give a damn. Bit of a joke really. Just come off it altogether forever

No they don't give a damn. Personally I think Twitter, Facebook are the worst things to happen to the Internet. Give me the Internet 1.0 anytime of the day.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don’t think Facebook etc will give a damn. Bit of a joke really. Just come off it altogether forever

If all the big clubs got off it for a few months they might listen. If Swansea or Brighton did it, nothing would happen...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]1380190073166163973[/tweet]

[tweet]1380215611725340672[/tweet]

Birmingham and Rangers also taking a week off.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
If it helps rid the clubs official site of the SA Tau fans then go for it.

Will it help put an end to online abuse of players?....... I very much doubt it. I agree with Simon Jordan on this. You have to be properly registered and verified to be able to post on twitter, insta, fb etc. So you can be traced. If you wish to remain anonymous then go ahead, but you can choose to 'ignore" anonymous posters so people wishing to post hatred is only visible to anonymous people and those that choose to see it. Almost like the dark Web.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure i will notice,
does everyone follow the Albion players or any football players on social media? (i don't) assuming you do, what difference will it make to you or impact on you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here