Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] A Cyclist on the English Landscape

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Lovely, makes me all nostalgic, in my close to 50 years since I left Sussex , these past year and a half have been the longest time I have spent without coming back.....

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Thanks for sharing this Bozza. It's a lovely article with some brilliant photos.
If any of you are like me and are wondering how he managed to get the beautiful photos to include himself on his bike........

"Creating these images has required not only a new way of visualizing, but a whole new photographic skill set. The first question most people ask is how I trigger the shutter when I’m a hundred yards away on my bicycle. Simple. I use what’s called an intervalometer, a programmable timer that allows me to preset whatever delay I need and then have the camera fire off a chosen number of frames. That’s the easy bit. Anyone can take a self-portrait.Placing yourself artistically in the scene is a far trickier proposition. It requires juggling a maddening number of details, most of which you never think of until you start doing it and look critically at the results. Everything matters, from the drape of light and shadow, to the set of your headlamps, to your body language on the bicycle. You have to be actor, director, location scout, gaffer, key grip, even wardrobe assistant: I always carry a spare jersey or two in different colors to make sure I can work with any backdrop."

A interesting person to follow on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/roffsmith/

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Some great images there, Battery Hill in Fairlight especially, which reminded me of when I used to cycle over from Bexhill to visit my grandparents.

Special times....

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
He has an extraordinary sense of using light for his photos.

He mentions in the piece about getting up early, before sunrise so that he could catch the light at day break. That is a perfect time of day for beautiful light.

A year or so ago, I walked to work everyday during winter. It to took about an hour and twenty minutes and I would leave while it was still dark out. As the walk wore on and the sun came up, the variation of light and spectacular sunrises I would see was incredible.

There's no getting away from the fact its a chore getting up early, but I would thoroughly recommend having a spell, even if its only a couple of weeks, of going to bed early and getting up before sunrise to go for a walk or cycle. Its such a peaceful time of the day, and watching the sunrise is not only beautiful but really sets you up for the rest of the day.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I love the different seasons covered, all of which evoke a lot of memories for me. Ta Bozza.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He mentions in the piece about getting up early, before sunrise so that he could catch the light at day break. That is a perfect time of day for beautiful light.

A year or so ago, I walked to work everyday during winter. It to took about an hour and twenty minutes and I would leave while it was still dark out. As the walk wore on and the sun came up, the variation of light and spectacular sunrises I would see was incredible.

There's no getting away from the fact its a chore getting up early, but I would thoroughly recommend having a spell, even if its only a couple of weeks, of going to bed early and getting up before sunrise to go for a walk or cycle. Its such a peaceful time of the day, and watching the sunrise is not only beautiful but really sets you up for the rest of the day.

I could get up early.

I could set the camera up for some nice shots as I approach.

BUT, no way I am cycling back up Battery Hill because I didn't like how the first shot came out!! :eek::lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Stunning pictures.

As an early morning runner, I admire – and completely understand – his dedication to the cause. It's the best time of the day to be out and about.

Also, 'As a journalist, I’ve always said I had a great face for radio and the perfect voice for print', is something I've been saying for years. Glad to see someone else use it :lolol:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
As a night owl, I don't get up until at least 8.00 am. Sunrise light is wonderful for photos, as shown above, but although it would be worth it, I really can't get up that early in the morning. Perhaps after seeing these great shots, I should make an effort?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I could get up early.

I could set the camera up for some nice shots as I approach.

BUT, no way I am cycling back up Battery Hill because I didn't like how the first shot came out!! :eek::lolol:

Yeah I agree with that. That was commitment on his part.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
One of the reasons I subscribe to the New York Times is their excellent travel features - they have excelled themselves here as well as showing a global audience the beauty of Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here