Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Squad for Sussex's first game

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's still no Phil Salt and no sign of Head's arrival (I think he misses the first two games)

https://sussexcricket.co.uk/news/squad-named-championship-opener

That looks a very thin batting line-up with Thomason as opener and Ollie coming at number 8

There's no Wells in the Lancashire line-up either, so he can't see the inevitable ton from a former player

I'm not overly optimistic about this one but I hope Haines continues his form from the friendlies

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I am happy to give the youngsters a chance but how much of a chance are you giving them if they don't have more experienced and consistent players to take the pressure off? Lot falls on Van Zyl and Ben Brown (while he does everything else).

However I have said at the beginning of the last 5-10 years, this year I think Sussex have a really good squad and this could be our year. So maybe this one is as I go in with very little confidence

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I am happy to give the youngsters a chance but how much of a chance are you giving them if they don't have more experienced and consistent players to take the pressure off? Lot falls on Van Zyl and Ben Brown (while he does everything else).

However I have said at the beginning of the last 5-10 years, this year I think Sussex have a really good squad and this could be our year. So maybe this one is as I go in with very little confidence

More chance of success in white ball competitions l would have thought. Not that l know a great deal about Sussex cricket l should add.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're not going to be winning many county games this season, but hopefully these young lads will improve with experience.....then sign for Surrey.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How very sad for Sussex to go into first game with such a team compared to those just a few seasons ago

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is one positive for Sussex - by the end of this season everybody's golf handicap will be a damn sight lower than it is now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thank goodness we signed Ravi Bopara for a bit of experience...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Two or three year transition in progress. Very keen to see how they do.

I hope the championship isn't slowly being sidelined though. It looks like more of a bolt on these days.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Two or three year transition in progress. Very keen to see how they do.

I hope the championship isn't slowly being sidelined though. It looks like more of a bolt on these days.

I quite like the new format - they're going to get at least 14 games of four day stuff and I like the way it's been seeded.

Sussex have got a decent bowling attack, even without Jofra. Meaker and CJ have played for England, Robinson and Garton have been on the fringes of the England team and Crocombe looks promising. Throw in Carson, who looks a very useful spinner, and that looks OK.

It's the batting: I can't see us getting 400 in any of the games - not unless SVZ and Head have blinding summer. We can't really rely on the kids

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I quite like the new format - they're going to get at least 14 games of four day stuff and I like the way it's been seeded.

Sussex have got a decent bowling attack, even without Jofra. Meaker and CJ have played for England, Robinson and Garton have been on the fringes of the England team and Crocombe looks promising. Throw in Carson, who looks a very useful spinner, and that looks OK.

It's the batting: I can't see us getting 400 in any of the games - not unless SVZ and Head have blinding summer. We can't really rely on the kids

I'm hoping Rawlins has an extended run of form but I think you're right, we'll be relying on those two.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I'd like to see them playing 17 games and all in one league. Home one year against another, away the next.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Let's just hope Robinson does the business this end of the season before he spends a few months carrying drinks around for James Anderson and Stuart Broad

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
From the Guardian article today it bappears the online coverage will be very good this year. All county YouTube channels and the ECB app will have coverage of the games with more cameras and commentary

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very thin looking Sussex team.... A lot of work for Ben Brown this summer, Captain, Wicketkeeper and having to carry the batting... Poor sod .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here