Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Bailif advice needed

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
My advice is
1: never answer the phone to a number you don’t know, if it’s that important they will leave a message.
I google every number I don’t know, read reviews and 99.99% of the time I then block the number.
2: never pay anything unless you have a paper copy posted to your address, a text or phone call is not proof you owe anything.
3: never seek advice on a social media web site for football, like I did several years ago :lolol:

"never answer the phone to a number you don’t know" ?? you sound like a teenager !
I hear this a lot these days that people are now afraid to to talk to people and rather hide behind a message or email.
Just because the number is not in your phone does not man it might not be urgent or important.
I get many unknown calls a day, some are not important so i hang up other are not, i'm still in control of who i'm taking to rather than running scared each time the phone rings.
What happens if a loved one has just been mugged / robbed / hurt in an accident and someone is trying to contact you, f***'em eh, let them leave a message it can wait.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Wardens? That's so last century!
These things are all managed by camera on entry [time of arrival], camera on exit [time of departure] and number plate recognition - then matched to the ticket your purchased [or didn't].
No need for wardens anymore ...
Fine issue process is almost fully automated.
But as [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] will say, rule one is never tell them who was driving as parking fines are a drivers offence, not the vehicle owner.

You live in Shropshire, I live in Sussex, we have wardens here as I have mentioned in my post.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
"never answer the phone to a number you don’t know" ?? you sound like a teenager !
I hear this a lot these days that people are now afraid to to talk to people and rather hide behind a message or email.
Just because the number is not in your phone does not man it might not be urgent or important.
I get many unknown calls a day, some are not important so i hang up other are not, i'm still in control of who i'm taking to rather than running scared each time the phone rings.
What happens if a loved one has just been mugged / robbed / hurt in an accident and someone is trying to contact you, f***'em eh, let them leave a message it can wait.

Most of my loved ones are younger than me. If they were hurt in an accident, I'd most likely find out about it on Instagram before they picked up the blower.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

You’re one of those people that has a phone permanently in your hand, even in the toilet :)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Takes seconds to google a number, and return a call.

Quite simply my phone, my choice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My phone is always on silent and I rarely answer it to anyone. Over the years everyone has got to know this and messages me. We all have to make decisions about how we engage and interact with communication...my approach works for me.

Regarding your last point, conversely if a friend or family member did call, I’d pick up as it’s clearly an emergency and not them wanting to chat about something banal. That said, they’d most likely message and ask me to call...which has happened.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The wife often says this to me as well. Usually it’s related to me sulking and/or being stroppy and pedantic about something though.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have three numbers diverted to my mobile and answer all calls, potential customers these days tend not to leave a message and quickly move on to the next listing on google.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
But the Council hasn't sold the debt has it? It issued a PCN and you didn't pay it, so it took the matter to court and obtained a court order for the debt. The bailiffs are appointed by the court to recover the debt set out in the court order - and the bailiffs' costs fall to the debtor.

I’m sorry. You appear to have mistaken this thread for one that accepts facts and common sense. Begone!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My phone is always on silent and I rarely answer it to anyone. Over the years everyone has got to know this and messages me. We all have to make decisions about how we engage and interact with communication...my approach works for me.

Regarding your last point, conversely if a friend or family member did call, I’d pick up as it’s clearly an emergency and not them wanting to chat about something banal. That said, they’d most likely message and ask me to call...which has happened.

Mrs T tells me specifically to take my phone on the rare occasions she thinks she may need to call me. Otherwise it is on and off the charger in the kitchen, out of sight and out of mind. When it rings (about once a month) I don't hear it, or if I do heart it I assume it's someone else's phone ringing. Apparently I have over 1000 unread messages from what'sapp, whatever that is. :eek: (Given their likely provenance perhaps [MENTION=37530]monty uk[/MENTION] can advise me whether I should bother reading them? ??? :wink:)

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Mrs T tells me specifically to take my phone on the rare occasions she thinks she may need to call me. Otherwise it is on and off the charger in the kitchen, out of sight and out of mind. When it rings (about once a month) I don't hear it, or if I do heart it I assume it's someone else's phone ringing. Apparently I have over 1000 unread messages from what'sapp, whatever that is. :eek: (Given their likely provenance perhaps [MENTION=37530]monty uk[/MENTION] can advise me whether I should bother reading them? ??? :wink:)

Absolutely not. Mostly irrelevant babble, dick waving and non-football fans discussing football - is there anything worse that that?

No change over half a century.

Straight into the recycle bin. Life's too short - is there and emoji for that?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Wardens? That's so last century!
These things are all managed by camera on entry [time of arrival], camera on exit [time of departure] and number plate recognition - then matched to the ticket your purchased [or didn't].
No need for wardens anymore ...
Fine issue process is almost fully automated.
But as [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] will say, rule one is never tell them who was driving as parking fines are a drivers offence, not the vehicle owner.

That's a description of a private parking company's operation in a retail park.

They use and abuse ANPR and you are best not saying who was driving in any appeal because lots of the firms choose not to use the wording that they could use, to hold the registered keeper liable (e.g. Tesco's parking firm doesn't, so you can always win by not saying who was driving).

Councils are different and you can't appeal by not saying who was driving. Councils are also (quite rightly because the systems are shite and set up to fail consumers) not allowed to use ANPR/CCTV for parking enforcement except in places where it is dangerous, like school crossings and red routes. So you will never see ANPR in a Council car park but you will see 'wardens' (CEOs).

Local Authorities using ANPR was banned in the Deregulation Act in 2015 and the British Parking Association just tried and failed to get the Government to change their minds this past few months. The Government were having none of it. Seems they have wised up since their previous dealings with the BPA in 2012 when the Trade Body walked all of the Dept for Transport and no-one questioned their statistics and the BPA got the prize of 'keeper liability' for private parking firms, but that's another story.

This case is about a Local Authority PCN that has been ignored until bailiff stage, probably due to only updating a driving licence and not updating the registered address of a vehicle when the OP moved.

Check your V5C (logbook) address is right, NSC posters, because this is very common. Loads of people get this sort of issue or CCJs from private parking firms, and some people even miss a Police NIP for Speeding and get into hot water for that later on, all due to not changing their logbooks.

Not updating your V5C address is actually an offence. Too many people think sending off their driving licence changes everything at the DVLA. Nope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here