Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Police seize the UK’s 2 millionth uninsured vehicle

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) can confirm the UK’s 2 millionth uninsured vehicle has been seized.

MIB data provided exclusively by UK police forces showed in January 2020, more than 2 million uninsured vehicles had been seized since powers to stop and seize uninsured vehicles were introduced in 2005.

Every 20 minutes someone in the UK is injured by an uninsured or untraced ‘hit and run’ driver, with many suffering life-changing injuries. This equates to 26,000 injuries each year or nearly one in every five road traffic casualties.

https://www.mib.org.uk/media-centre...seize-the-uk-s-2-millionth-uninsured-vehicle/

Although I once saw a cyclist riding through a red light, so that pretty much evens things up.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) can confirm the UK’s 2 millionth uninsured vehicle has been seized.

MIB data provided exclusively by UK police forces showed in January 2020, more than 2 million uninsured vehicles had been seized since powers to stop and seize uninsured vehicles were introduced in 2005.

Every 20 minutes someone in the UK is injured by an uninsured or untraced ‘hit and run’ driver, with many suffering life-changing injuries. This equates to 26,000 injuries each year or nearly one in every five road traffic casualties.

https://www.mib.org.uk/media-centre...seize-the-uk-s-2-millionth-uninsured-vehicle/

Although I once saw a cyclist riding through a red light, so that pretty much evens things up.
Yeah, bloody cyclists. They don't pay road tax you know, and practically none of them are insured. Makes my blood boil it does, the carnage they cause with all that zero carbon healthy bloody moving about. ********!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
If that is correct (and if posted by Stat Brother it will be) that that makes me really angry.

really angry.

If someone doesn't have insurance, they probably also don't bother with tax and maybe MOT.

A car can be a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands and this indicates a general lack of thought/respect etc.

It may also be the the in end of the wedge in relation to other 'crimes' as you normalize not paying for things.

I started a rant but deleted it, too early for that and the sun is shining.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Draconian powers seem to be working. Not sure what the point of this is really? I'm surprised it took 16 years to reach 2 million other than that it's good isn't it?
Unless its another sad attempt to make a pro cycling point at the expense of car drivers, because all car drivers are the same aren't they?

Driving an uninsured car is wrong, stupid and potentially dangerous who knew? Driving a bike through a red light light is the same, again who knew? Both groups have good people and idiots as do pretty much every large group of people you can think of.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Draconian powers seem to be working. Not sure what the point of this is really? I'm surprised it took 16 years to reach 2 million other than that it's good isn't it?
Unless its another sad attempt to make a pro cycling point at the expense of car drivers, because all car drivers are the same aren't they?

Driving an uninsured car is wrong, stupid and potentially dangerous who knew? Driving a bike through a red light light is the same, again who knew? Both groups have good people and idiots as do pretty much every large group of people you can think of.

Is it working?

If 'Every 20 minutes someone in the UK is injured by an uninsured or untraced ‘hit and run’ driver, with many suffering life-changing injuries' then sounds like its not working

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Is it working?

If 'Every 20 minutes someone in the UK is injured by an uninsured or untraced ‘hit and run’ driver, with many suffering life-changing injuries' then sounds like its not working

Two separate things, while a hit and run driver may be insured, they could be drunk or on drugs and looking to avoid losing their licence, or just idiots. Also an uninsured driver may be a technical issue such as using the vehicle for business use when the driver is only insured for social use, rather than the vehicle not being insured at all.

It should also not be overlooked that since continuous insurance enforcement was brought in, the number of uninsured vehicles has dropped by around 50%.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Was he slightly overweight in his 50’s and wearing Lycra ? Because that distracts drivers for a start .....

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I hope he gets sent down for a very, very long time and that the courts make an example of him. T----r.

He has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving and causing death by driving while uninsured.

He's also being charged with failing to stop at the scene of collision and failing to report a collision.

You'd like to think he'd go away for a very long time, but I doubt it unfortunately.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
He has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving and causing death by driving while uninsured.

He's also being charged with failing to stop at the scene of collision and failing to report a collision.

You'd like to think he'd go away for a very long time, but I doubt it unfortunately.

If he went out that day knowingly not insured then it is murder in my eyes. If he fled the scene that is cowardly as well. throw the book at him

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stat boring everyone again with his anti-car stance

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess I should just write "so excited" 68,000 times.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Did this bit pass you by? That's just uninsured drivers, never mind all the people injured or killed by those also insured.
[MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] – I don't think it is an anti-car stance, I think [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] has a car. It's a 'how are so many people dying and getting injured but we aren't doing anything about it' stance.

You put a 20mph limit in place, or a bike lane, and people are up in arms about it. 1800 people can die each year from road vehicles and its a :shrug:

...but you know, cycling is the real enemy, start a thread on that and people will be frothing at the mouth...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Did this bit pass you by? That's just uninsured drivers, never mind all the people injured or killed by those also insured.

[MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] – I don't think it is an anti-car stance, I think [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] has a car. It's a 'how are so many people dying and getting injured but we aren't doing anything about it' stance.

You put a 20mph limit in place, or a bike lane, and people are up in arms about it. 1800 people can die each year from road vehicles and its a :shrug:

...but you know, cycling is the real enemy, start a thread on that and people will be frothing at the mouth...

Obviously despite the connection there's no way I could have added this (with glib comment) to the 3 year old killed by a driver thread.
You know the thread that also contains the 2 week old killed by a driver.
But doesn't include the 2 year old killed by a driver, in Dumfries, that also happened last weekend, because no one seems to have really noticed that one.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Criminals act criminally. How would they be confiscating 2m cars otherwise? If you drive without insurance you deserve all you get including your car being confiscated. If you have an accident while uninsured you deserve all you get prison hopefully not sure why you think this is an issue?

Cycling is not an issue at all. Good luck to them, acting piously and holier than thou about it is. If you want to cycle great enjoy it, just try not to be so morally superior about it. As for road deaths and not doing anything about it, fatalities on our roads are about half of what they were 20 years ago despite use of cars increasing in that time so not actually doing nothing about it at all....

20 mph limits applied correctly are both essential and desirable. Applied willy nilly across towns tends to bring them into disrepute and actually defeats the object. By all means we should deploy them where needed. Bike lanes are also useful in the right areas applied as political acts such as the need for two lanes on the seafront is just pathetic grandstanding.

Cycling is both an excellent form of exercise and a useful transport option. Not an application for sainthood

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Obviously despite the connection there's no way I could have added this (with glib comment) to the 3 year old killed by a driver thread.
You know the thread that also contains the 2 week old killed by a driver.
But doesn't include the 2 year old killed by a driver, in Dumfries, that also happened last weekend, because no one seems to have really noticed that one.

Indeed. A bicycle running a red light is just the same as a car....

I cross the road to walk the dog at the OSR / Hangleton Road / Carlton Terrace interchange 4 times per day - pretty much every single full cycle of the lights a vehicle jumps a light. That is just the 4 waits I have at that junction. Every day. No one loses their shit.

Already the posts on here are the same attitude many Americans have toward guns. It's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people. As Eddie Izzard exclaimed in response 'the gun surely helps'...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If he went out that day knowingly not insured then it is murder in my eyes. If he fled the scene that is cowardly as well. throw the book at him

This is a serious point: when does willful negligence trasform manslaughter into murder? I'd say that if this person had been drinking or 'drugging' then it is arguably murder (although the 'I thought it would be safe' argument is still given credence I suspect. That said I presume that the highway code carries draconian warnings these days so all new drivers should be unable to claim they 'didn't realise'.). If the driver was not impaired then being not insured doesn't make him a murderer. Dangerous driving, however may do - but I suspect the law would need to be changed. Murder is 'with intent' is it not? If you argue that by taking drugs or drinking you took a risk you could kill someone, I would be happy to have this upgraded to murder. But it isn't murder presently is it?

There was a case in Kent around 20 years ago when a big lorry driver turned left and wiped out and killed a kid on a bike. Turns out the driver had never even passed his test. He got a derisory sentence. After his release the kids dad found him and seriously injured him. The case went to trial by jury and the judge instructed the jury to find the dad guilty of assault with intent. The jury was acquitted him. I think that may have resulted in a change to the law - the law protects itself sadly. Lord Denning and all that.

It seems to me that it is still regarded as merely unfortunate if an actual car kills someone. Unfortunately, despite some posts on this thread, there is no national clamour to increase sentencing for this, and I suspect far too many peole think 'there by the grace of god go I' whenever this sort of think happens.

But as I was told when I went on an advanced driver course 20 years ago in lieu of my first 3 points: there is no such thing as an accident. It is always someone's fault.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Criminals act criminally. How would they be confiscating 2m cars otherwise? If you drive without insurance you deserve all you get including your car being confiscated. If you have an accident while uninsured you deserve all you get prison hopefully not sure why you think this is an issue?

Cycling is not an issue at all. Good luck to them, acting piously and holier than thou about it is. If you want to cycle great enjoy it, just try not to be so morally superior about it. As for road deaths and not doing anything about it, fatalities on our roads are about half of what they were 20 years ago despite use of cars increasing in that time so not actually doing nothing about it at all....

20 mph limits applied correctly are both essential and desirable. Applied willy nilly across towns tends to bring them into disrepute and actually defeats the object. By all means we should deploy them where needed. Bike lanes are also useful in the right areas applied as political acts such as the need for two lanes on the seafront is just pathetic grandstanding.

Cycling is both an excellent form of exercise and a useful transport option. Not an application for sainthood

You really are missing the point if you think this is about cycling, or motoring for that matter.

It's about our attitudes. Our behaviours.

20mph zones and bike lanes are political because of the very argument you have made - resistance to them. Not if they inconvenience you too much. How many deaths and injuries from vehicles do we accept as just a by--product of convenience until we collectively go, 'hang on a minute, we really need to have a re-think what motoring means here...'.

Or we just carry on with the odd sticking plaster and ignore the tragedies, and say anyone that doesn't back motoring the car is just 'holier than thou'...

I have a car by the way. So I am a motorist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here