Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC departures for next season?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You just have to glance at our loan army to realise that very few will make our first team. For example, the boys sent to Coventry will probably be staying there?

We are in need of a clear out.

Then there is our over stocked first team. If Biss was to depart, they’d be 5 (five) internationals and mostly youthful central midfielders looking to grab his starting place (Pröpper, Moder, Alzate, Caicedo & Molumby); they can’t all play or in some cases, they can’t all make the bench.

We then have the Hughton signings who have failed to become Potter regulars, the likes of Duffy, Andone, Locadia and Jahanbakhsh who will want 1st team football but probably for cut price transfers.

They’ll be some U23s like Pete Gwargis who have reached an age where they’ll want a permanent transfer for the sake of first time football or players with immense promise like Connolly who might benefit from a season at a lower level where they’ll get the game time to develop.

Finally, a few of our top players are attracting the attention of the big boys. We’re not going to be able to keep hold of players like Bissouma or White if £50m+ bids come in.

Who would be on your departure list?

Thoughts?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
First thing that needs to be said is that it is very difficult to sell players, like we saw last summer when Ali J was offered to AZ (the Dutch team, not the gull) who just replied "are you having a larrrf".

Walton
Ryan
Duffy
Clarke?
Bernardo
Molumby
Bissouma
Pröpper
Izquierdo
Andone
Tau
Locadia

+ bunch of kiddos

In addition someone (Karbo? Connolly?) might go on loan somewhere and you can never rule out some dirty bid for White or Trossard.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We then have the Hughton signings who have failed to become Potter regulars, the likes of Duffy, Andone, Locadia and Jahanbakhsh who will want 1st team football but probably for cut price transfers.

I'm not sure it's going to be that easy to sell Duffy and Ali J. The club were trying to offload them both last summer and found no takers. Personally, I think Andone could stay and prove he's worth a place but if we did try to get rid of him, I'm not sure there'd be a queue of clubs looking to take on a player who's been out for a year - he may well stay to prove his fitness.

I agree that Biss will go and I suspect Pröpper will follow too. Ryan will shuffle off to Arsenal and I think that Izzy's contract is up so he'll be gone (sadly).

I agree that Gyökeres is on the way out but we may well see Østigård back - depending on whether White leaves. Potter clearly favours three at the back, so we need at least five CBs (Veltman could be one but we would then need RWB cover), so I suspect that Østigård or van Hecke will be in the squad.

Who knows though? It's hard enough picking a Potter selection for one game let alone a season. We don't know what players have said they went off or whether a player fancies a loan spell. I'm sure, knowing Potter, there'll be at least one surprise departure

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bissouma -- deserves to play for a top six club or one with CL ambitions; our entire plan is predicated on moving players on at the right time and for the right price, in no small part so squad disharmony doesn't develop
Perhaps White, but only if we get offered a big fee

CM: the OP is right, we're well served there (especially as Gross and Lallana can play there too), so one or both of Propper and Molumby due to depart, depending on whether we have a new signing in the offing

Hughton: if he wants it Andone should stay, Locadia is already gone beyond the formalities, Jahanbakhsh needs to play, and there's no point retaining Duffy

Yoof: yes, the likes of Gwargis and perhaps Ostigard will go.

Need a LB/LWB, perhaps a winger/wide forward and, if we can get one, a tall, strong, fast striker that can put the goal in the net. I doubt we'll find one with all those qualities, but getting one that looks at least a bit like that, it'll give Connolly the opportunity for a Championship loan and getting his eye in

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think the ‘at risk’ list is as follows:

Ryan
Walton
Clarke
Duffy
White
Kazukolovas
Yapi
Clarke
Karbovnik (loan)
Østigård
Bernardo
Baluta
Molumby
Bissouma
Pröpper
Richards
Tau
Jahanbakhsh
Andone
Izquierdo
Locadia
Gwargis
Connolly (loan)
Gyökeres

Probably missed a few!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As has been said, moving senior players (not in the team) on was hard before the pandemic. It will be harder now

Duffy, Ryan, Andone, Locadia, Jahanbaksh. All on big contracts, with 1 or 2 years left on them. None of those are likely to take a whopping pay cut. None of those are going to get offered anything remotely similar by another club.

Which either means they are going to hang around at the training ground, or will take a loan, with us paying the great majority of their wages.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Ryan
Walton
Clarke
Duffy
White
Kazukolovas
Yapi
Clarke
Karbovnik (loan)
Østigård
Bernardo
Baluta
Molumby
Bissouma
Pröpper
Richards
Tau
Jahanbakhsh
Andone
Izquierdo
Locadia
Gwargis
Connolly (loan)
Gyökeres

Probably missed a few!

How on earth could you not include Billy Arce? Do you not pay any attention? What sort of fan are you?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A large clearout freeing up wages for 4+ singings :

Ryan
Walton
Duffy
White
Burn
Bernardo
Bissouma
Pröpper
Băluţa
Izquierdo
Jahanbakhsh
Andone
Tau
Locadia
Connolly
Gyökeres

Mac Allister is also a surprising "maybe" in that he only has 2 more years on his contract and we won't want him running that too far down before selling.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’ve failed.

Just call me Hugo Arse from now on!

From now on? :)

But seriously, swathes of those youngsters on your list are likely to be moved on. Mostly free transfers with sell on fees

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Ryan
Walton
Clarke
Duffy
White
Kazukolovas
Yapi
Clarke
Karbovnik (loan)
Østigård
Bernardo
Baluta
Molumby
Bissouma
Pröpper
Richards
Tau
Jahanbakhsh
Andone
Izquierdo
Locadia
Gwargis
Connolly (loan)
Gyökeres

Probably missed a few!

How on earth could you not include Billy Arce? Do you not pay any attention? What sort of fan are you?

As long as Jan Mlakar is going nowhere I'm happy.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If next season is still when FIFA are going to cap the number of players that can go out on loan (to 8), then there will be lots of players being offloaded. If lots of clubs are in a similar position then the prices are going to plummet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If next season is still when FIFA are going to cap the number of players that can go out on loan (to 8), then there will be lots of players being offloaded. If lots of clubs are in a similar position then the prices are going to plummet.

First I have heard of this but it’s a good idea I think.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Can't see Connelly wanting to go out on loan having been a first team squad regularly for 2 seasons. I suspect he might attract a bid/be sold to a team like Fulham or Sheff United for a championship promotion push.

I suspect we will also loose either Bissouma or White, but not both.

I would imagine Propper will return to Europe.

I think Potter will be fine with loosing Duffy, Locadia, Ali J and Andone.

I think Izquierdo and Tau will stay for another year.

I see someone earlier in the thread suggested Burn would be surplus to requirements. Lol. That donkey will still be making unforced errors in our backline when I'm drawing my pension.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Everyone has a price so anyone could go.
Trouble is, the ones we want ti move on won't have a price, or not much of one anyway. t'll be a case of trying ti find anyone who is willing to take the likes of Locadia and Jahanbakhsh off our hands; Pau too. The best we can probably hope for is somebody paying a bit of their wages on loan until their contracts expire.

We'll obviously be looking to move on youngsters who don't look like breaking through and are coming to the age where a decision needs to be made. That could be Gyokeres, Gwargis, Walton, Baluta and maybe Ostigaard for fairly nominal fees. Alzate and Molumby must also be considering their futures, bearing in mind their lack of game time and the arrival of Caiciedo and the Polish lads.

Edit: Forgot Duffy, Izquierdo and Ryan; they might not be easy to shift either - there won't be queues of prospective buyers and no chance of a bidding war!

Last edited:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Think the club will do a heavy marketing job of - one more year - to all the key members of the squad, especially as the Covid effect will still be working its way through football (finances). Going against the grain i think they'll keep Biss, White, Lamptey (probably improving contracts). Sure they'll be plenty of realistic conversations with every other squad member regarding playing time and whether they want to look for alternative opportunities. However, as no one is going to be throwing around big money next year and all clubs will look to sell before buying, it'll probably be very difficult to do major surgery on squads.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Think the club will do a heavy marketing job of - one more year - to all the key members of the squad, especially as the Covid effect will still be working its way through football (finances). Going against the grain i think they'll keep Biss, White, Lamptey (probably improving contracts). Sure they'll be plenty of realistic conversations with every other squad member regarding playing time and whether they want to look for alternative opportunities. However, as no one is going to be throwing around big money next year and all clubs will look to sell before buying, it'll probably be very difficult to do major surgery on squads.

Agree with everything you say.

One thing I think we will see is a very quiet summer and an even more exaggerated flurry than usual on deadline day. There will be a lot of players and agents who will be in denial about just how much the transfer market has crashed and how much wages on new contracts will be reduced by.

I actually think Palace are in a perfect position. The can just wave goodbye to their aging high earners and take advantage of the flight of talent from decent Spanish, German or Italian clubs to English clubs for knock down prices. The PL is a relative haven of security compared to those leagues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here