Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why do we keep conceding late goals ? 9 matches this season and counting...

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Well that's the ninth time this season (7 league , 2 Cup) that we have conceded a result changing goal after the 80th minute.

In all nine games we have also failed to respond with a late goal of our own. Hopefully it won't result in relegation.

I can't work out if it's tiredness (lack of stamina due to training) , lack of concentration , bad game management , poor substitutions (wrong players taken off or put on at wrong times) or something else...........

Anybody got any ideas of how this can be changed ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In my humble opinion its not so much the late conceding a goal, its out general inability to post a score that won't be beaten.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Yeah think this is pretty key. In only two games this season (both Toon) have we managed to get ahead by more than 1 goal. That’s not good, for all our excellent general play this season.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
We have scored in 8 of the 9 games and we have the third best record of fewest shots on targets against us. So perhaps that points towards our goalkeepers being unable to keep the ball out of the net ! ?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
We have scored in 8 of the 9 games and we have the third best record of fewest shots on targets against us. So perhaps that points towards our goalkeepers being unable to keep the ball out of the net ! ?

I can't find the graphic but we give up very few goalscoring chances, but when we do they are very high quality. So our keeper won't face many shots but when they do, they are generally not saveable.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I can't find the graphic but we give up very few goalscoring chances, but when we do they are very high quality. So our keeper won't face many shots but when they do, they are generally not saveable.

Again you are probably right. But there has too be a reason(s) out there as to why we consistently concede late on. I am sure Potter and co are on it and hopefully they can put it right for our last 8 games as it drives me nuts :censored:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well that's the ninth time this season (7 league , 2 Cup) that we have conceded a result changing goal after the 80th minute.

If you just take the 7 league games that does of course mean there are also 23 PL matches where we haven’t.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I think the lack of players with pace to counter attack is a big factor, and especially noticeable as the game goes towards the end meaning we are not such a threat due to tiredness and teams have more confidence to go for it.

White Fan man

Oct 25, 2020
I think your negativity when in the lead and your substitutiions have a lot to do with it. Take the Leeds match. You were fairly comfortable until Potter took off your better players and let Leeds back into the game. If Bielsa had put Pablo Hernandez on 10 minutes earlier Leeds would have equalised. How many times this season have you gone two goals ahead? Your manager thinks you can defend one goal leads whereas I think if you tried for the second goal you would win more points.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We don’t have the quality on the bench to bring on and close or win the game. Look at ydays bench. No Duffy or Burn to defend late free kicks and corners, no Knockhart or Andone to have a go in the last 15 minutes. Our squad is looking a bit thin.

Let’s face it, our bench hardly puts the fear of God up the opposition

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Again you are probably right. But there has too be a reason(s) out there as to why we consistently concede late on. I am sure Potter and co are on it and hopefully they can put it right for our last 8 games as it drives me nuts :censored:

I think its because the Prem has 19 other very good football teams. Some say that some are "shit". But to be in this league you have to be a good team.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think another reason is because we very rarely kill games off.

I can’t think of another game this season apart from Newcastle where we had a 2 goal lead.

As long as we have a slender lead or drawing, we’ll always be susceptible to a late equaliser/winner. We need to kill teams off (obviously easier said then done at this level).

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We don’t have the quality on the bench to bring on and close or win the game. Look at ydays bench. No Duffy or Burn to defend late free kicks and corners, no Knockhart or Andone to have a go in the last 15 minutes. Our squad is looking a bit thin.

Let’s face it, our bench hardly puts the fear of God up the opposition

I think this is right, but the injuries don't help either leaving the bench a bit thin.
But what seems to be a pattern to me is that we are so good in the first half, Potter throws a curve ball and they can't work it out, even starting with the same players, the way we set up is difficult to play against.
But good managers work it out by half time and then take us apart in the 2nd half, we need a sort of plan B for the 2nd half rather than play the same system.
At least we are scoring but if we get the chances we need to go in 3 up to stand a chance of winning against the better sides with savvy managers.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I think your negativity when in the lead and your substitutiions have a lot to do with it. Take the Leeds match. You were fairly comfortable until Potter took off your better players and let Leeds back into the game. If Bielsa had put Pablo Hernandez on 10 minutes earlier Leeds would have equalised. How many times this season have you gone two goals ahead? Your manager thinks you can defend one goal leads whereas I think if you tried for the second goal you would win more points.

I agree that we sit back far too much when we go in front which is why we’ve dropped the most points from winning positions in the league. It’s strange as we didn’t do that in Potters early matches in charge. When we were 1-0 up at Watford in his first game, he brought on 2 strikers and we went on to win 3-0.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sometimes you concede goals in football and sometimes it happens late in the game.

If you just take the 7 league games that does of course mean there are also 23 PL matches where we haven’t.

All this is true but the converse doesn't happen. How many times have we scored late and changed the result?

Crystal Palace (A), Liverpool and Sheff Utd are the only three I can think of (we did against Man U but that didn't change the result). Yes, late goals are part and parcel of football but I'd like us to score a few more ourselves

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think the lack of players with pace to counter attack is a big factor, and especially noticeable as the game goes towards the end meaning we are not such a threat due to tiredness and teams have more confidence to go for it.
Yes the issue of pace really needs to be addressed in the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here