Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Every summer in NSC - there's a debate about our centre forwards with plenty arguing that we simply won't be buying a striker this summer and manager x will stick with what we've got.
In fact we've brought in a new high profile striker every single window/year going back almost a decade and in 17/18 when we didn't in the summer, we did in the winter.
My guess is we will this summer too.

14/15 Summer: Baldock
15/16: Summer: Hemed
16/17 - Summer - Glenn(loan)/Connolly Winter : Glenn (signed)
17/18 Summer: Nope , Winter: Locadia/Ulloa (loan)
18/19 Summer: Andone
19/20: Summer Maupay
20/21: Summer: Zeqiri / Welbeck

However most summers we have been light in terms of number of strikers in the squad. Last summer we had Andone (out injured for most of the season), Locadia (out on season long loan), Tau (season long loan), Murray (During pre-season makes loan to Watford) Connolly & Maupay. It would appear we did try to sign Nunez last summer and Gonzalez this summer.

Most importantly though my statement was that we wouldn't be adding just another player to the already bloated squad. Either a promising youngster around 18 years old or a ready made 23 year old with 30+ goals over the last 2 years in a less competitive league than the Premier League (He would probably cost £25m+). I cannot see us recruiting anybody else who would offer similar competition to Maupay, Andone, Tau, Connolly as they are perfectly capable

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I cannot see us recruiting anybody else who would offer similar competition to Maupay, Andone, Tau, Connolly as they are perfectly capable

I think we are actively looking to recruit a player who will strengthen our existing forward line - club haven't denied bidding for Gonzalez. In fact the Argus reported - from a close source - they have now moved onto other targets. They are quick to shoot down other rumours. It might not work out - players in that market have other suitors. But if successful then agreed - obviously several of our strikers will be going on loan or leaving as they will want regular first team football and it won't be possible.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
However most summers we have been light in terms of number of strikers in the squad. Last summer we had Andone (out injured for most of the season), Locadia (out on season long loan), Tau (season long loan), Murray (During pre-season makes loan to Watford) Connolly & Maupay. It would appear we did try to sign Nunez last summer and Gonzalez this summer.

Most importantly though my statement was that we wouldn't be adding just another player to the already bloated squad. Either a promising youngster around 18 years old or a ready made 23 year old with 30+ goals over the last 2 years in a less competitive league than the Premier League (He would probably cost £25m+). I cannot see us recruiting anybody else who would offer similar competition to Maupay, Andone, Tau, Connolly as they are perfectly capable

Are they perfectly capable tho? If so, why was our conversion the 3rd worse in the Prem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Our attack hardly scared anyone in all fairness! This is the area that will undoubtedly move us up in the league if we get it right.

Couldn’t agree more. And I believe this is so even if we lose Big Ben White (likely)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Couldn’t agree more. And I believe this is so even if we lose Big Ben White (likely)

Very little noise around either White or Biss of late, unless I’ve missed it. Lots of stories linking Arsenal with other players though. Maybe we’ll get through the transfer window unscathed...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I could be persuaded that an interest in Lukas Nmecha would excite............

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Very little noise around either White or Biss of late, unless I’ve missed it. Lots of stories linking Arsenal with other players though. Maybe we’ll get through the transfer window unscathed...

Clubs won't offer the money that is silly enough for us to part with either player in my opinion. Both White and Bissouma will still be Albion players as sthe window slams shut.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
It feels like this could be a very slow and drawn out transfer window for us. With the possible exit of White &/or Bissouma and therefor our transfer kitty being wildly effected we have the interesting dilemma of whether to go for our current transfer targets now or wait to see what we could afford should the possible sales go through. At least we have a world class poker player running the club for such strategic times!

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Clubs won't offer the money that is silly enough for us to part with either player in my opinion. Both White and Bissouma will still be Albion players as sthe window slams shut.

I think White will go for around the 50 Mill mark. Owen and Naylor both quietly saying same kind of thing. Naylor even mentions today that we will look for replacement for White in todays article.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
And its been suggested more than once that we have said we will sell him to a bigger club.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
It feels like this could be a very slow and drawn out transfer window for us. With the possible exit of White &/or Bissouma and therefor our transfer kitty being wildly effected we have the interesting dilemma of whether to go for our current transfer targets now or wait to see what we could afford should the possible sales go through. At least we have a world class poker player running the club for such strategic times!

It's a careful balancing act. We need to wait long enough to get the money in the bank from the sales, so that we can afford better quality players, but not so long that all of our targets end up going elsewhere and we're left scraping the barrel again.

I'd be very surprised if when the club drew up the list of potential targets they didn't have potential sales on the back of their mind with regards to how this would alter our budget. To be honest, I was under the impression that we couldn't buy at all unless we sold some of our big names

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’d like us to be bold and enquire about Daniel James who will be limited now based on Sancho.

Our problem to score more goals is limited to signing and out and out striker, we create enough chances and would expect the wider forward line to convert more.

I’d rather have 3 players converting more (10 a piece) rather than a punt / reliance on developing forward / unproven based on commercial limitations

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Agreed. We have until the end of August to do any business so there is still bags of time and with players on holiday or away on international duty I think it won't be until next month before we start seeing the odd incoming player. We also may need to sell before we can buy too. I still maintain the retention of Welbeck is the best bit of business we will do on the incoming front (baring injuries). We often do our business late anyway so I'm not surprised as things stand.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I think White will go for around the 50 Mill mark. Owen and Naylor both quietly saying same kind of thing. Naylor even mentions today that we will look for replacement for White in todays article.

Anyone seen much of Clarke? Would he not be able to step up and move webbo back over to the right?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Still hoping we go for Matheus Pereira. Surely he'll end up back in the Prem next season.

Me too.

I’ve just got a hunch that he has a release clause (for £15m) in his contract if West Brom were relegated. This would explain why they’ve been trying to sell him for £5m to China (with another £20m paid to the owner indirectly to avoid the Chinese transfer tax of 100% of transfer fees over £5m).

He’d be a perfect replacement for Ali-J as an option to compete with Tross for a place in our front 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here