Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Another dozen or 15 goals in the right place at the right time, we'd have been top ten, even pushing for Europe (but probably not quite getting there). We'd have been purring with delight, not fretting that our forwards weren't scoring enough. All goals count, whoever scores them ................

Yes but even if you’re scoring from midfield, your final position will still be worse if your forwards are failing

All you’re doing is effectively masking the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Different market - free transfers / high wages but risky given injury or age and less demand from elsewhere . Both arguably paid off.

So why not do the same again?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If we finished in the top ten there is no problem to mask!

Think we differ then, because if we were 10th and our forwards still finished in the same manner, I would be disappointed as we might have done better.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Sanchez coming into the side saw a dramatic change in results for the second half of the season. Along with the 3 CB's growing into the formation meaning Dunk & White had a much better 2021. We also saw more game time for Gross & Welbeck and an improved understanding from all involved regarding the runs they should make and the decisions that need to be made during play.

Our form in 2021 is 28 points from 22 games (1.27ppg). Or since Sanchez came into the side 31 points from 26 games(1.19ppg) or 2nd half of the season 24 points from 19 games (1.26ppg) That would give us a total points finish 45-48 for a whole season. We are certainly improving and will break into the top 10 if we stick to the blueprints but the question is if TB, PB, DA & GP feel like spending £25m+ is essential to try and fast track the progress or if we continue to make small gains whilst developing youngsters from the academy. Football history has seen plenty of clubs take the gamble for quick success and left them in a financial mess relatively quickly.

I cannot see Brighton following that path so we undoubtedly have 3 or 4 potential strikers who we would consider adding to the squad but we won't be desperate and will bide our time if none of those are available this summer.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Of those 3 or 4 potentials, Gonzalez has gone to Fiorentina & Daka has signed for Leicester. These may or may not have been in that group of potential signings but I think they are the calibre of player we will look for, anything less is just another £15m gamble and we don't need more of those

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Of those 3 or 4 potentials, Gonzalez has gone to Fiorentina & Daka has signed for Leicester. These may or may not have been in that group of potential signings but I think they are the calibre of player we will look for, anything less is just another £15m gamble and we don't need more of those

Why not

Everything is a gamble. Regardless of price.

Out of the 10 players who scored 5+ goals for Brighton in the PL, only Maupay and Trossard cost over £15m, and even in those cases it wasnt much above that price. Glenn who scored 26 goals, how much did he cost?

There's a lot of reasons to find the right player. There's not a lot of reasons to spend a lot of money.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Why not

Everything is a gamble. Regardless of price.

Out of the 10 players who scored 5+ goals for Brighton in the PL, only Maupay and Trossard cost over £15m, and even in those cases it wasnt much above that price. Glenn who scored 26 goals, how much did he cost?

There's a lot of reasons to find the right player. There's not a lot of reasons to spend a lot of money.

Murray was £4m but he was 33 and heading to a Championship side.

We have made several fantastic signings during our time in the premier league but the issue is if we stick with what we have got (Wellbeck, Maupay, Andone, Connolly, Tau, Zeqiri) or spend to bring in another player. I don't think we will spend money on a new striker that is going to be of similar ability to those already here. We may sign a promising teenager to add to the academy for a few million or we may spend big on an improvement, someone in their early 20's with 2 or 3 years scoring lots of goals and with plenty of pace. What we won't do is add a striker in their late 20's who has a 1 in 5 goal to game ratio from a weaker league for £15 to 20m as I think we have enough 'good' players already in the squad

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Murray was £4m but he was 33 and heading to a Championship side.

We have made several fantastic signings during our time in the premier league but the issue is if we stick with what we have got (Wellbeck, Maupay, Andone, Connolly, Tau, Zeqiri) or spend to bring in another player. I don't think we will spend money on a new striker that is going to be of similar ability to those already here. We may sign a promising teenager to add to the academy for a few million or we may spend big on an improvement, someone in their early 20's with 2 or 3 years scoring lots of goals and with plenty of pace. What we won't do is add a striker in their late 20's who has a 1 in 5 goal to game ratio from a weaker league for £15 to 20m as I think we have enough 'good' players already in the squad

Every summer in NSC - there's a debate about our centre forwards with plenty arguing that we simply won't be buying a striker this summer and manager x will stick with what we've got.
In fact we've brought in a new high profile striker every single window/year going back almost a decade and in 17/18 when we didn't in the summer, we did in the winter.
My guess is we will this summer too.

14/15 Summer: Baldock
15/16: Summer: Hemed
16/17 - Summer - Glenn(loan)/Connolly Winter : Glenn (signed)
17/18 Summer: Nope , Winter: Locadia/Ulloa (loan)
18/19 Summer: Andone
19/20: Summer Maupay
20/21: Summer: Zeqiri / Welbeck

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Every summer in NSC - there's a debate about our centre forwards with plenty arguing that we simply won't be buying a striker this summer and manager x will stick with what we've got.
In fact we've brought in a new high profile striker every single window/year going back almost a decade and in 17/18 when we didn't in the summer, we did in the winter.
My guess is we will this summer too.

14/15 Summer: Baldock
15/16: Summer: Hemed
16/17 - Summer - Glenn(loan)/Connolly Winter : Glenn (signed)
17/18 Summer: Nope , Winter: Locadia/Ulloa (loan)
18/19 Summer: Andone
19/20: Summer Maupay
20/21: Summer: Zeqiri / Welbeck

Two points

I would hardly describe Zeqiri as a high profile striker

Secondly,the club pushed the boat out for signing Locadia,a record fee at the time.Who scouted him? Are they still at the club? Hardly a resounding success was he?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Two points

Secondly,the club pushed the boat out for signing Locadia,a record fee at the time.Who scouted him? Are they still at the club? Hardly a resounding success was he?

Judging from Linkedin it seems they changed Benelux scout in October 2018 to a Charlie Hutton, meaning the scout responsible for that region when Ali J / Locadia signings were done is probably doing something else now...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Two points

I don't think the club should be continually slated for signing Locadia.

He only cost £10m up front, which is a pittance by Premier League standards. The additional £5m was performance based, so little chance that was paid.

At the time Wolves and Sporting Lisbon were interested in him, so it's not as if we were alone in thinking he was a player.

He scored on his debut in the cup and then he scored again a week later on his Premier League debut, so at that time it was a good signing.

Yes, since then it hasn't panned out, but sometimes transfers don't.
It won't be the last time we get one wrong, but fortunately we get the majority right.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm positive if the right forward comes along they will pay the price. However, it needs to be the right player. So expect a young player with potential not the finished article.

I still think the main target was Welbeck which has now been sorted. Another promising youngster like Zeqiri would be welcome but not expecting the club the splash out a large sum on any striker regardless of so called headlines that we had agreed deals with Gonzalez or Nunes last summer. The club never disclosed that they had or had not made any offers.

In my view better to spend a few million on a promising league 1 striker like Brentford did with Toney (£5m) and develop him rather than spend £20m+ on someone most of us won't have heard of and who will in all likelihood be another Locadia. No guarantee spending a large sum on a striker guarantees anything.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I still think the main target was Welbeck which has now been sorted. Another promising youngster like Zeqiri would be welcome but not expecting the club the splash out a large sum on any striker regardless of so called headlines that we had agreed deals with Gonzalez or Nunes last summer. The club never disclosed that they had or had not made any offers.

In my view better to spend a few million on a promising league 1 striker like Brentford did with Toney (£5m) and develop him rather than spend £20m+ on someone most of us won't have heard of and who will in all likelihood be another Locadia. No guarantee spending a large sum on a striker guarantees anything.

100% agree with your last sentence. But the club do seem prepared to bid for the right player should they come available. Nunez and Gonzalez seem testament to that. Let’s hope we get one.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Two points

Nor would I - at least not yet - but we signed Welbeck that window who was.
As for Locadia - ha ! this isn't a debate on the merits of each of the strikers. We've all things to do and i think we can all conclude it didn't exactly pay off. This is merely. a reminder that the club normally buys a striker - for the first team - every summer.
And every summer there's multiple threads on NSC saying we won't.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I don't think the club should be continually slated for signing Locadia.

He only cost £10m up front, which is a pittance by Premier League standards. The additional £5m was performance based, so little chance that was paid.

At the time Wolves and Sporting Lisbon were interested in him, so it's not as if we were alone in thinking he was a player.

He scored on his debut in the cup and then he scored again a week later on his Premier League debut, so at that time it was a good signing.

Yes, since then it hasn't panned out, but sometimes transfers don't.
It won't be the last time we get one wrong, but fortunately we get the majority right.

Sure.Compared to the £40 Ashley spunked on Joelinton and the loss West Ham took on Haller,it is small change

I just think it has affected the clubs stance on signing strikers

Yes we do get a lot right.I even think Maupay was a good signing.He just needs the right player up front with him.Is it Welbeck? Is it Zeqiri?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here