Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Marcus Rashford opened up his body"... Really?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
From the BBC website report. Presumably opening up your body is followed by a surgical strike.

This is one of dozens of clichés of footballing reportage, along with dropping the shoulder, and making yourself big (goalkeepers only). Making yourself small is of course mandatory after missing a sitter.

Any more?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
“...and quite a finish from Will Buckley... TO OPEN UP HIS BODY HERE... and guide it in beyond Woods”

One of my favourite commentary lines. Still can’t forget it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
“He’s got to score from there”

Er, no he hasn’t. I think you’ll find all Brighton & Hove Albion strikers reserve the right to miss, and frequently do so.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Something that irrationally pisses me off is when players are asked a question that is going to get a positive reply, yet they start their sentance with "No, yeah....".

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He should be working the keeper .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He’s given the ref a decision to make.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
He’s given the ref a decision to make.
' He's ' usually being Harry Kane with some ' clever ' play. Clever being the euphemism only applied to him because he's the England captain. In normal language applied to others it's called cheating!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From the BBC website report. Presumably opening up your body is followed by a surgical strike.

This is one of dozens of clichés of footballing reportage, along with dropping the shoulder, and making yourself big (goalkeepers only). Making yourself small is of course mandatory after missing a sitter.

Any more?

They love that 'opened up his body' thing on commentary teams. Nature's way of telling broadcasters to hire a slightly less gormless commentary team shirley :shrug:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
This all reminds me of Colemanballs. One of David’s famous utterances from the1976 Olympics 800 metre final “Juantorena just opens his legs and shows everyone what he’s got.” :blush:

Wasn’t it “...opening his legs and showing his class?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here