Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Places in songs that you had a romantic view of before you saw the place in the flesh

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The New Jersey Turnpike

I should have known better but at the time I had no idea what a turnpike was

"Kathy, I'm lost", I said, though I knew she was sleeping
I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
They've all come to look for America
All come to look for America
All come to look for America

Here it is in all it’s glory :lolol:

0AA6A656-CD24-4915-B94A-912B7F7B9948.jpeg

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Glasgow
Abba - Super Trouper

"I was sick and tired of everything
When I called you last night from Glasgow
All I do is eat and sleep and sing
Wishing every show was the last show (wishing every show was the last show)"

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Route 66

I made a (very short!) detour to drive the road of my dreams when I was in Amarillo. The road quality was more third world than the roads in Worthing, although not that obvious in this photo

76D38F88-2D1C-413A-9188-A63CBA5544E8.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Stokes

Thought the band were quite cool, the actual place is a shit hole though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Off the back of Eminem, and when in Detroit on my own, I decided to hire a car and drive the length of 8 Mile. That was quite an interesting day.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I really don't know why Lonnie Donegan was getting so excited about Cumberland Gap as well as mentioning Middlesbrough!
:eek:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
On the flipside I drove through Compton when I was visiting a friend in L.A. I was expecting it to be a shithole but it actually looked o.k. Loads of detached houses with gardens. No drug dealers on corners or drive by shootings.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Barcelona

I was really looking forward to seeing Barcelona. I had dreams of stunning architecture, great restaurants and a wild night life. The architecture was decent enough but the place was a real dive - like a Catalan version of Croydon. I had a week booked in a hotel but I cut my losses after three days and went across the border to France for some respite.

I've been some terrible places that I never want to vist it again (Las Vegas and Dubai spring immediately to mind) but I wasn't expecting much from them. Barca was a real disappointment though

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I know the thread asked for places that failed to live up to expectations, but – as a contrast – this place does deliver a suitable vibe…

Shield Street.jpg

Turned the fan off
And went for a walk
By the lights down on Shield Street.
The birds in the trees
Open their wings
He goes home again.
He dreams resistance,
They talk commitment,
Things change over long distance.
Took the shirt off his back
The eyes from his head
And left him for dead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Barcelona

I was really looking forward to seeing Barcelona. I had dreams of stunning architecture, great restaurants and a wild night life. The architecture was decent enough but the place was a real dive - like a Catalan version of Croydon. I had a week booked in a hotel but I cut my losses after three days and went across the border to France for some respite.

I've been some terrible places that I never want to vist it again (Las Vegas and Dubai spring immediately to mind) but I wasn't expecting much from them. Barca was a real disappointment though

Indeed. And what about that ****ing cathedral covered in scaffolding? The place is a mess.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Barcelona

“stunning architecture, great restaurants and a wild night life.”

I don’t know when you went, but I go regularly, and it has all of this. Where on earth did you stay that looked like Croydon? Obviously not one of the nice areas :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I don’t know when you went, but I go regularly, and it has all of this. Where on earth did you stay that looked like Croydon? Obviously not one of the nice areas :lolol:

True, I love Barcelona but like all big cities it does have some very shit areas. Valencia is somewhere that improved dramatically around the time they hosted the Americas Cup.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I didn't say it looked like Croydon. I specifically said that the architecture was decent enough. I was talking about the general vibe: the restaurants and bars that ignored you if you weren't a regular and the smackheads on every corner.

I decided to leave when, sitting down for breakfast at the hotel, I noted a bloke on the bench opposite who appeared to have died - a suspicion confirmed when several police cars and an ambulance arrived. I checked out of the hotel within the hour

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
San Francisco

Listening to the Tony Bennett and Scott McKenzie songs i always had a romantic view of the place.That and watching the Dirty Harry films.

I really liked San Francisco, especially the gay area with some wonderfully coloured houses and interesting shops (Does Your Mother Know) and restaurants. In contrast I thought LA was an absolute shite hole :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn't say it looked like Croydon. I specifically said that the architecture was decent enough. I was talking about the general vibe: the restaurants and bars that ignored you if you weren't a regular and the smackheads on every corner.

I decided to leave when, sitting down for breakfast at the hotel, I noted a bloke on the bench opposite who appeared to have died - a suspicion confirmed when several police cars and an ambulance arrived. I checked out of the hotel within the hour

El Raval famously has a history of heroin but this has been much improved since the authorities started to smarten up the area around the time of the Olympics. Maybe you stayed here? The description you give reflects this area in past years but I wouldn’t judge the whole city on this. There’s plenty of nice neighbourhoods to hang out in with great restaurants, bars and nightlife which are friendly and welcoming to strangers.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Barcelona

Wow

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
El Raval famously has a history of heroin but this has been much improved since the authorities started to smarten up the area around the time of the Olympics. Maybe you stayed here? The description you give reflects this area in past years but I wouldn’t judge the whole city on this. There’s plenty of nice neighbourhoods to hang out in with great restaurants, bars and nightlife which are friendly and welcoming to strangers.

This.

Had an absolutely fantastic weekend there with my lad for the football when he was 11. Perfectly safe, very friendly.

The thread topic is very, well, niche isn't it Icy? :lolol:

The one romantic description of a place in a song that I absolutely love is in Paul Simon's Graceland - The Mississippi Delta (was shining like a national guitar). I've never been anywhere near the Mississippi so cannot confirm either way. Though I've heard from a couple of people who have been to Memphis that it's a bit of a dump and Nashville is much better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here