Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Best Bargain in the Squad

Best Bargain

• Total voters

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Out of the current squad, who has been the best acquisition for the most reasonable fee. Free is not a fee, so no Dunk or Lallana options.

#2 Tariq Lamptey £3,000,000
#13 Pascal Gross £3,000,000
#33 Dan Burn £3,000,000
#34 Joel Veltman £900,000

Or someone else?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
All excellent value in their own way. In terms of minutes on the pitch. Pound for pound has to be Gross.

In terms of value surely has to be Tariq. Because not only is he yet to reach his ceiling we also have an asset who if we have to sell will bring in a tremendous amount of money to the club.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
All excellent value in their own way. In terms of minutes on the pitch. Pound for pound has to be Gross.

In terms of value surely has to be Tariq. Because not only is he yet to reach his ceiling we also have an asset who if we have to sell will bring in a tremendous amount of money to the club.

Been is past tense I think, so for me it mean too date. Lamptey has been injured for to long to be classed as a better bargain than Gross.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Tough one.

Throughout our PL period, Gross clearly wins.

This season, Veltman has undoubtedly delivered far and above the outlay we made.

Then in terms of potential long-term/resale value and ROI, it would be Tariq.

You could make a case for any of those three. Burn isn't really in this conversation, tbh.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
My initial reaction was Gross. What a fantastic player he’s been for the past 4 years.

But the profit we could make on Tariq...that’s a lot of wonga.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
All outstanding acquisitions and can argue for most. Groß takes it for me. He was outstanding under CH and was the reason why we started up! He has continued to produce decent performances for 4 years now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As said above,
Season after season, Gross
This season, Veltman
Potential, Lamptey

So I've gone for Pascal, a major reason we are still in the Premier :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tough one.

Throughout our PL period, Gross clearly wins.

This season, Veltman has undoubtedly delivered far and above the outlay we made.

Then in terms of potential long-term/resale value and ROI, it would be Tariq.

You could make a case for any of those three. Burn isn't really in this conversation, tbh.

Agree with every word of this. Burn is a decent PL squad player, the other three make things happen.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If I had to pick one from the limited list it would be Gross BUT the real value player in the squad is Dunk.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Bissouma is by a country mile our best asset and will probably be off in the summer for 40 million quid or so .

Whoever stumps that amount of dosh up will still be getting a bargain, Bissouma is a class act and will establish himself as one of the top holding midfielders in the world .

Sad to see him go but I think it's inevitable, so financially he's our best acquisition.

Veltman was a absolute steal at 900k but his resale won't be astronomical, same with Burn .

Lamptey could be anything but his Hamstring injury will put buyers off until he gets a run of games next season , if he remains fit then he has to be worth 25-30 million so again top work by the recruitment team .

When you look at our squad it seems fine on paper but Wellbeck and Llanna have to be carefully managed and I think we will definitely go for another striker and midfielder with the Bissouma money .

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
If he fully recovers and stay fit its Lamptey. I can't wait to see him tearing up the field an putting it a perfect cross or smashing into the net. Remember how excited we were earlier this season.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ignoring the OP's rules, the best bargains in the squad currently are

Sanchez, Dunk, White and March

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For consistency of performance it has to be Veltman. Gross only just shaded as Veltman's cost was lower.

Lamptey has a higher ceiling but has been a sicknote.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gross.

Absolutely quality footballer who's been with us on every step of our Premier League journey.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Exactly this, too late to sell Pascal on for a vast profit now, but we have had so much value from him on the playing side now for several seasons.

Tariq on the other hand has his whole career still in front of him, a fantastic young talent, and a player that we could make an absolute killing on, if, and probably when, we decide to sell on to one of the big boys.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Veltman. Such a tidy and competent player who operates at a consistently good level and can play a number of rolls......all for 900,000 quid.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here