Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fair Point? 'Stop Litter Blame Game And Give Us More Bins'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56615989

Have to say it's a good point, well made IMHO. Excluding the ferals who will always just dump their trash wherever they choose, seems to me that most decent folk will try and dump their trash in the general vicinity of a rubbish bin. And if that rubbish bin happens to be massively over-subscribed, then it's a gentle nudge in the direction of the council to ensure bigger bins or more frequent emptying thereof. Take your rubbish home with you? Never gonna happen :shrug:

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The main 2 beaches where the day trippers gather here as they have a large car park and lifeguards on duty have a total of 7 huge bins stationed surrounding the car park and 2 actually at the top of the beach .

Along the length of our slice of cardigan Bay which totals 2.6 miles then is separated by s estuary there are in total 23 of these huge bins , so plenty for the actual length of the beaches , or so you would think .

As Frankie mentioned on another thread after the 3 warm days here the beaches looked like a actual sheepcote valley site , it was just unfathomable how people could be that selfish .

On Tuesday the locals organised a beach clean and collected 76 large rubbish sacks worth of litter left behind , the sickening thing about it was not one of the bins on the whole stretch was actually full !

The more bins argument holds no water here , just a more brain cell needed in the human department.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
So here's the answers.

More bins. They will still get full up and rubbish placed around them. There would then be the people from the other camp saying we have too many bins and they're spoiling the park

Bigger bins A standard bin when full of bottles and dog shit bags if extremely heavy to empty. A bin twice the size would not be liftable.

Wheelie bins. They would need to be chained to something to stop them being used as go-carts etc. You would also see more domestic rubbish going in them...including small white goods.

More frequent emptying. Parks are dreadfully short staffed as it is. We spend up to 3 hours every morning emptying bins and picking up litter. There is just not the budget to employ people to come along and empty bins at 8pm, 7 days a week.

It's not just a Brighton problem. We've seen this week the litter just strewn all over our parks throughout the country, it's absolutely disgusting the people can leave such a mess behind them.

Oh and if you ever want to see little in Brighton, drive on the A27 from Hollingbury to Patcham. Unbelievable.

If anyone has any suggestions how we can deal with it....suggestions that have been thought through, i'd love to hear them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So here's the answers.

More bins. They will still get full up and rubbish placed around them. There would then be the people from the other camp saying we have too many bins and they're spoiling the park

Bigger bins A standard bin when full of bottles and dog shit bags if extremely heavy to empty. A bin twice the size would not be liftable.

QWheelie bins. They would need to be chained to something to stop them being used as go-carts etc. You would also see more domestic rubbish going in them...including small white goods.

More frequent emptying. Parks are dreadfully short staffed as it is. We spend up to 3 hours every morning emptying bins and picking up litter. There is just not the budget to employ people to come along and empty bins at 8pm, 7 days a week.

It's not just a Brighton problem. We've seen this week the litter just strewn all over our parks throughout the country, it's absolutely disgusting the people can leave such a mess behind them.

Oh and if you ever want to see little in Brighton, drive on the A27 from Hollingbury to Patcham. Unbelievable.

If anyone has any suggestions how we can deal with it....suggestions that have been thought through, i'd love to hear them.

I go jogging round Preston Park most mornings very earlydoors. Apart from minor feral trash dumping, the massive majority of rubbish is placed in as close proximity to the overflowing undersized bins as normal decent people could be expected to do. Even the overnight wildlife rarely scatter the rubbish placed by the bins more than a metre or two. The clear answer is bigger bins and / or smarter emptying and a realisation that only a tiny minority are ever going to be taking their rubbish home with them

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I honestly think that we could instal a million litter bins, and it wouldn't make a smidgen of difference, the morons that litter the beaches and countryside don't think of looking for a bin to dispose of it, or consider taking it home with them, they simply drop it wherever they like, with absolutely no thought or consideration whatsoever.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
. The clear answer is bigger bins and / or smarter emptying and a realisation that only a tiny minority are ever going to be taking their rubbish home with them

So you didn't read a word I said about bigger bins or more frequent emptying? Trust me pal, i know a little about what i'm saying.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We also need to drastically expand and improve re-cycling centres to cut down the up to an hour long queues and the nonsense of having to book a slot weeks in advance.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
[MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION] how do you find the places you go fishing ?
Do any of them have bins ? Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread but it's kind of related

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56615989

Have to say it's a good point, well made IMHO. Excluding the ferals who will always just dump their trash wherever they choose, seems to me that most decent folk will try and dump their trash in the general vicinity of a rubbish bin. And if that rubbish bin happens to be massively over-subscribed, then it's a gentle nudge in the direction of the council to ensure bigger bins or more frequent emptying thereof. Take your rubbish home with you? Never gonna happen :shrug:

I disagree based on what I saw on the news. The bins were overflowing for sure but hundreds if not thousands just move off and leave their rubbish for someone else to clear up. There is absolutely no justification for that.
In most cases it seems to be the same generation that join in protests about global warming.

What is so difficult about taking your rubbish home?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So you didn't read a word I said about bigger bins or more frequent emptying? Trust me pal, i know a little about what i'm saying.

Well I did read it all, but (my bad) I did read it as you were just demolishing every sensible suggestion in turn after the first two words. And we ALL know a little about what we're saying on this particular subject. Basically all boils down to the decent people will try and find a bin for their rubbish. And if the bin is full they'll place their rubbish as close to the full bin as possible to send out a coded message to they did their best to act like responsible citizens up to a point, but they're not going to bust a gut over it

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It would be interesting to see the public reaction if councils just stopped clearing up after everyone for a couple of weeks. I’m sure it doesn’t even dawn on most litterers that they are the problem and not the lack of bin capacity.

I’ve never dropped litter and always take mine home if I can’t find a handy bin (sometimes even if I can), and hate the drop it anywhere attitude that the British public seem to have.

Do other countries have this problem? Is there anything that can be learnt from places that don’t?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A few more of THESE might help with the ferals :thumbsup:

168381941_1132794877132777_5899642404807609659_n.jpg

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Personally, i'd remove all litter bins. I took them out of the Rockery 10 years ago and the only excess litter is from the usual culprits. I'm even considdering taking benches out to stop groups of the usual culprits from gathering and leaving their shit everywhere on a daily basis.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I only fish club waters so there's usually no bins and well looked after. Be interested to know why it's related as an angler.

It's more related to the litter really
But on the few places I have fished in the past
Those with bins unless regularly checked end up with litter overflowing and stacked up alongside much like the beach situation and then you get the rat problems
Whereas those without bins are generally well kept
Until the winter die back of foliage exposes the litter slung deep within. But generally are pretty tidy
Bearing in mind the idiots that just dump litter where they feel like on the beach or bank will do it anyway
Do you think removing the bins as a trial measure might work Or would bea complete disaster?
For the beach

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
It's more related to the litter really
But on the few places I have fished in the past
Those with bins unless regularly checked end up with litter overflowing and stacked up alongside much like the beach situation and then you get the rat problems
Whereas those without bins are generally well kept
Until the winter die back of foliage exposes the litter slung deep within. But generally are pretty tidy
Bearing in mind the idiots that just dump litter where they feel like on the beach or bank will do it anyway
Do you think removing the bins as a trial measure might work Or would bea complete disaster?
For the beach

See my comment above :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here