Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Latest TV. Have you lost your England Mojo?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The analysis of Belgium’s midweek 7-0 win over Cyprus alongside Trossard’s brace certainly gave me an April’s Fool chuckle. Not sure if it was on purpose though?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The analysis of Belgium’s midweek 7-0 win over Cyprus alongside Trossard’s brace certainly gave me an April’s Fool chuckle. Not sure if it was on purpose though?
Yeah, I had an April Fool's football chuckle myself this morning. I didn't watch the England game but my wife told me that Poland only had one shot on target and they scored. And the taker of this solitary chance was a Brighton player! I did laugh. One shot, one goal, April Fool jokes should at least be believable.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Agree, really lost my interest in England, Southgate is not the Manager to take us forward in my opinion. We have very good players, but we are not a great team? Why? Has to be the manager. This has nothing to do with his squad selection as I don't think Dunk is an international class defender, but then Mings and Dier are not either. Think Lewis will be one of those players who is superb for us, but maybe just for us as he a local boy and gives 100%.

Also hate the cheating by England players, Grealish and Kane and last night with Sterling, that was not a pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Yep. First time ever I supported the opponents. Southgate needs to go before he coaches all that attacking talent out of the team.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Agree, really lost my interest in England, Southgate is not the Manager to take us forward in my opinion. We have very good players, but we are not a great team? Why? Has to be the manager. This has nothing to do with his squad selection as I don't think Dunk is an international class defender, but then Mings and Dier are not either. Think Lewis will be one of those players who is superb for us, but maybe just for us as he a local boy and gives 100%.

Also hate the cheating by England players, Grealish and Kane and last night with Sterling, that was not a pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder whether this isn't the manager, but the 'other' things. Since Ashworth has left England and come here, our style of play has vastly changed. Ashworth clearly wasn't the England manager, but oversaw a period where an England team overachieved.

This, coupled with the fact I have recently read Eddie Jone's autobiography, which gives some insight into the value of a world class support team, makes me wonder whether is is the 'everything else' that isn't currently there for England. It may also explain why things look to be starting to come together at Brighton.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you have to wear slightly wonky glasses to work on this show?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

:mad: WTF?

You'll struggle to find a clearer penalty. The defender rushes in, out of control, tries to pull out of the challenge with his leading (right) leg, but his left sweeps through, straight into the back of Sterling's legs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
:mad: WTF?

You'll struggle to find a clearer penalty. The defender rushes in, out of control, tries to pull out of the challenge with his leading (right) leg, but his left sweeps through, straight into the back of Sterling's legs.

This - as clear cut a penalty as you'll see.

As an aside - general public's viewpoint on Sterling is so tiresome also. He is a fantastic player. If he was French we would look across the pond in envy..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This.

As an aside - general public's viewpoint on Sterling is so tiresome also. He is a fantastic player. If he was French we would look across the pond in envy..

Agreed. Bored of arguing about him. Brilliant footballer, normally at the heart of any good England performance. Carried England at the last World Cup, while a half-fit Kane's goals (3 penalties, 2 tap-ins and a fluke deflection off his back) stole the headlines.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Sterling seems to be the only player willing to run at or past defenders, generally from about 30 / 40 yards out and heading straight for the goal line. Love to see him do this. Mount and Foden seem to be bringing this directness in the final third too but they don't have the electrifying acceleration or the ability to strike panic into defenders that Sterling does.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
This - as clear cut a penalty as you'll see.

Yeh, def a pen. Maybe Poland should've had one too for Slab head's handball? Def seen them given for less.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I lost a lot of interest in the England team a while ago. I went to the last 12 games at the old Wembley and many before that and a few away games. I think it may have started with Capello being in charge and then the Wally. But I am still fuming at the old Wembley being knocked down and the beautiful twin towers.

The new Wembley is shite.

However, I would never support any other nation over England no matter how many Albion players were playing for the opposition. It's just the comfort players who have pissed me off in recent years. Maguire, Mings, Dier FFS will get the nod no matter who is playing better for their clubs. Grealish should be one of the first on the list.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agreed. Bored of arguing about him. Brilliant footballer, normally at the heart of any good England performance. Carried England at the last World Cup, while a half-fit Kane's goals (3 penalties, 2 tap-ins and a fluke deflection off his back) stole the headlines.

Brilliant footballer ... but obviously didn't carry England at the last world cup. (the opposite is close to the truth).

Not to worry, all have not so great tournaments. Every reason to think he'll do well this summer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Brilliant footballer ... but obviously didn't carry England at the last world cup. (the opposite is close to the truth).

Not to worry, all have not so great tournaments. Every reason to think he'll do well this summer.

He had a decent tournament. Yes, his finishing wasn't great. But just look how terrified defences are of him. His off the ball movement is superb - his running caused Sweden so many problems that it left all sorts of gaps to exploit. And we lost our attacking impetus when he went off against Colombia. He got us the first goal last night against a half decent Poland, and he took apart Spain back in 2018.

Didn't "carry" us in Russia but nowhere near deserving the abuse he got for running like a duck and missing a couple of sitters - his overall contribution was definitely positive.

Second name on the England team sheet after Kane.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeh, def a pen. Maybe Poland should've had one too for Slab head's handball? Def seen them given for less.

Yeah I found the co-commentator's wingeing "never a pen" and "where is he supposed to put his hands?" comments really ignorant and irritating.
If VAR had been in use, that would have been given without a second thought.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
We have some potentially world class players coming through, but I just don't enjoy the football we play.

If Potter wasn't Brighton manager I'd love him to have a go at England because I think he'd work quite well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here