Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] And Werner must score...........

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Feel sorry for him; who hasn’t dreamt of smashing in the winner against North Macedonia?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Why did he decide to go with the left foot?! Surely a far more difficult option than with the right?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I have a rule in football that if a professional player fails to do something I could do (as a distinctly non-professional extremely part-time footballer) then they should be docked pay in some form or other. Foul throws, failing to get a penalty on target, not hitting a corner straight over the touchline for a goal kick etc. I'm sorely tempted to cite this as another, I'm pretty confident I could at least get a shot on target from that position.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have a rule in football that if a professional player fails to do something I could do (as a distinctly non-professional extremely part-time footballer) then they should be docked pay in some form or other. Foul throws, failing to get a penalty on target, not hitting a corner straight over the touchline for a goal kick etc. I'm sorely tempted to cite this as another, I'm pretty confident I could at least get a shot on target from that position.
Our strikers would be on minimum wage this season if your rule was followed :lolol:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I could just imagine Maupay or Connolly doing exactly the same in a Brighton game

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I could just imagine Maupay or Connolly doing exactly the same in a Brighton game

Or if you don't fancy imagining it, just go and watch that highlights (or lowlights) reel that was doing the rounds

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Werner is worth making a comparison to our strikers though, in the sense that they can often go through these troughs, which can only really be explained by confidence.

He's clearly a quality player, has scored hatful's for Leipzig, but all of a sudden can't hit a barn door. It's a bit like when Fernando Torres went from amazing to terrible. I'm sure there are loads of other examples.

The lesson i'm taking is it's obvious there's something there, is not to write a striker off after one bad season, because a couple of decent shots go in and the confidence comes back, the class will shine through in the end. Trossard is the best example for us in our season. Woeful finishing through autumn and winter, starting to find confidence in front of goal now

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Another sign of how tactics and style can make some players look incredible and others woeful. Werner has lost confidence as the pressure builds but clearly he demonstrated it previously as he was hot property a few years ago

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think there is also a point about how when strikers miss chances that easy it makes the manager look very bad indeed ... but I think that ground may have been adequately covered

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes he should have scored but I will defend him a bit, the reason he had to take it with his left was because the pass from Gundogan was behind him. For such a simple pass it wasn't actually executed very well, needed to be firmer.

Werner is class, he will come through this and score hatfuls.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Werner is worth making a comparison to our strikers though, in the sense that they can often go through these troughs, which can only really be explained by confidence.

He's clearly a quality player, has scored hatful's for Leipzig, but all of a sudden can't hit a barn door. It's a bit like when Fernando Torres went from amazing to terrible. I'm sure there are loads of other examples.

The lesson i'm taking is it's obvious there's something there, is not to write a striker off after one bad season, because a couple of decent shots go in and the confidence comes back, the class will shine through in the end. Trossard is the best example for us in our season. Woeful finishing through autumn and winter, starting to find confidence in front of goal now

Also goes to show spending £50m on a striker doesn't guarantee goals

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Ah, but you would never have got yourself into that position. ???

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

He's also a great example that just throwing £50m and £150k a week at a proven striker doesn't guarantee goals if you don't hit the ground running / lose confidence. Haller, Wesley, Benteke, Werner - All big signings that from their history show goals should flow, but in reality there are barndoors sitting back and enjoying a martini and a cigar, knowing that they're got a trouble free afternoon ahead.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Yes he should have scored but I will defend him a bit, the reason he had to take it with his left was because the pass from Gundogan was behind him. For such a simple pass it wasn't actually executed very well, needed to be firmer.

Don't think the pass was that bad, myself. Far from perfect, but not an excuse for how badly Werner scuffed it. I don't think Werner should have stuttered his run in order to take the shot with his left. I think if he'd just shortened his stride and taken it with his right instead of trying to switch which foot would be available to shoot when he arrived on the ball, he would have been fine. Apart from anything else, taking it with his right the foot would have been coming from in advance of where the ball was going, so the timing becomes a lot easier than with his left (where he ended up being late on the shot and not getting much contact). With the right, even if late he would have got more of the ball.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Doubtless Werner will find his scoring boots when the Albion rock up at Stamford Bridge in a few weeks time. :down:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ah, but you would never have got yourself into that position. ???

I would have but I would have been in a Porshe or, at minimum, balancing and peddling a very powerful racing cycle, And I'd have still needed a rest afterwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here