Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just 3 years for killing a boy through dangerous driving

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My guess is he had a phone on his lap and was reading a text, when he looked up he had no idea he'd veered across the road.

A phone would be the logical answer.
Not that it matters as seemingly someone will be along soon enough to point to some other excuse as justification for his actions.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Naturally I don't want to trivialise this thread due to the seriousness of the content therein, but the annual 1500 deaths caused by motor vehicles isn't really my main motivation.

That said I strongly urge all to follow APPGCW on Twitter, the All Party Government Cycling and Walking feed, it is fookin scary out there.

I just don't understand the total blindness to just how pervasive cars have become, nowhere more so than Brighton. I say as a car driver contemplating my next car as I donate my current car to Jnr.

I'm a pragmatist on the environmental issues, I see compromising and a gradual approach as the answer, getting the vast majority onside. Carbons are being phased out.

To me, totally separate to that, is safety (a cyclist could be mown by someone driving a Tesla). To me, zero tolerance of dangerous driving and a default position of a motorist having a criminal law duty of care to all other road users.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm a pragmatist on the environmental issues, I see compromising and a gradual approach as the answer, getting the vast majority onside. Carbons are being phased out.

To me, totally separate to that, is safety (a cyclist could be mown by someone driving a Tesla). To me, zero tolerance of dangerous driving and a default position of a motorist having a criminal law duty of care to all other road users.

Deffo, TBH I wasn't even talking environmental, in the Greta sense of the word.
I've had enough of 1000's of people crammed into the same space as 20 people in there cars.

Obviously that in turn is speaking Greta's language as well as keeping more people alive.

Trying to get to Burnley by train is proving to be a 3 figure expensive nightmare involving about 8 different trains, whereas my car will be quicker and cheaper.

The whole system is upside down.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Trying to get to Burnley by train is proving to be a 3 figure expensive nightmare involving about 8 different trains, whereas my car will be quicker and cheaper.

And that is the main problem, whether it's train or bus, public transport is far too expensive. Until the cost of travel is cheaper than the fuel costs and frequency of public transport is far greater the switch from private to public transport will not accelerate.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Deffo, TBH I wasn't even talking environmental, in the Greta sense of the word.
I've had enough of 1000's of people crammed into the same space as 20 people in there cars.

Obviously that in turn is speaking Greta's language as well as keeping more people alive.

The whole system is upside down.

I got sick of driving long distances in the UK, beacuse of the endless jams and roadworks. Plus you're just one idiot's accident away from being trapped in one spot on a m-way for hours. It happens, alot. Our last drive to Liverpool for the Albion was beset with a huge compulsory detour from approximately Tamworth to Lichfield to Stoke, then hours of roadworks from Stoke to Warrington.

Trips since were therefore using the brilliant 2 hour Euston to Liverpool Virgin service (now another operator). Loved it. Relax.

My son's recent drive trip to Snowdonia was meant to take 5.5 hours, in the end it took 11! The M25 to start with was a tedious semi-car park.

Trains are bloody expensive though.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Another one, Grimmett should be out in 14 months after good behaviour. His dangerous and drunk driving left an innocent 17 year old with a bleed on the brain and spinal damage. The coward compounded his criminal behaviour by leaving his victim, driving off.

14 months for the criminal, life for the innocent road user.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19446061.drink-driver-benjamin-grimmett-caused-catastrophic-injuries-cyclist-jailed/

A DRINK driver who left a 17-year-old cyclist with catastrophic injuries in a collision on the A259 has been jailed.

Benjamin Grimmett, 22, of Church Road in Rustington, was sentenced to 28 months in prison and banned from driving for 50 months at Portsmouth Crown Court on Friday, July 9.

He had previously pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, possession of Class A and B drugs and driving while under the influence of alcohol.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

SAC

May 21, 2014
Police release harrowing video of moment six-year-old cyclist hit by drug driver

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/amp/n...-hit-by-drug-driver?__twitter_impression=true

I can't believe the different coloured tarmac didn't do its job properly.

I couldn't get the video to work on that link but ITV had a report on it which I assume uses the same footage. 60MPH in a 30 zone, amazing that the kid is alive.

Nice of the plod to buy him a new bike and great that he feels confident enough to use it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
But too stoned to brake is your interpretation, did you also see that the driver has Aspergers? And "The judge asked police to inform the relevant authorities that there is a “real concern” as to Jeff’s ability to drive on a public road." Suggesting that in the judges view, his aspergers is likely to have been the reason for the terrible judgement.

He was driving at the right speed for the road, he saw people in the road, and his Aspergers brain says, they should not be on the road, I am going at the legal speed, I have right of way, I will beep my horn. Clearly he should have slowed, braked or changed course, but no amount of jail tim is going to cure his aspergers.

How did that moron escape being beaten to a pulp by the cyclist and pedestrian that he had come so close to killing?

Don't suppose he got banged up as he didn't actually kill or, it would appear, injure anybody.

No excuses - NONE for driving like that. Chop their licence up and never let them on the road again.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Worthing herald was reporting about the sentencing of a man from Worthing who hit and killed a young father of two, he was arrested but denied any involvement released on bail and went into hiding missing his court date he was found in Crawley charged he then changed his plea to guilty Killing a man through careless driving while not having a driving licence or insurance his sentence 18 months in prison and 3 year driving ban!!!!!!!!!!
It's really shocking ☹️

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Pathetic sentence, his reckless actions killed a man. Why the hell should he ever be let behind the wheel of a motor vehicle ever again?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Ryan Selby of St Leonards drove through 40mph streets in Hastings at up to 110mph. Killing a family man.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2...r-killing-father-of-three-in-high-speed-crash

Smirking in his mugshot with the inevitable bum fluff under his conk, the Russell Bishop look.

A low life.
Having read it I think it's fairly unlikely that 'Ryan will be haunted by this experience...'. For me, driving like that should always get a lifetime ban (whatever the jail sentence). The idiot should never be allowed to drive any motor vehicle...EVER. And if did...back to jail for another stretch.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Ryan Selby of St Leonards drove through 40mph streets in Hastings at up to 110mph. Killing a family man.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2...r-killing-father-of-three-in-high-speed-crash

Smirking in his mugshot with the inevitable bum fluff under his conk, the Russell Bishop look.

A low life.
What is the maximum for Death by dangerous driving ? Because if it's anything less than life, this case proves that the Government need to pull their finger out and get it sorted.

Just seen this predates 28 June 2022 when life was bought in :nono:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"I could have been killed": Cyclist with cancer beaten by driver in shocking unprovoked attack

Not that anyone needs telling but this section of the above article shows exactly why intimidating, threatening, assaulting and even killing cyclists is viewed, by some, as a victimless crime:-

"I run a small business and have four young children who depend on me. We've got a large mortgage and they will be homeless. I am deeply sorry," he said.

The judge then raised the fact that after the assault Mills had told a police officer he would only get community service and a fine, and told the defendant: "You are about to go to jail. You need to wake up."

I'll still bet on him getting 6 months suspended and 2 years without a license.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here