Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Debate: If Trossard was English, would Southgate call him up?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Interested in peoples reaction.

I genuinely think he wouldn’t. What that says about Martinez and Southgate I don’t know.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Possibly. But then Belgium have soundly beaten us in our last encounters and I believe they are currently ranked number 1 in the world.

Yes, but do you believe they have greater strength in depth in the position Trossard plays than England?

They have a good starting 11, but I don’t believe Trossard normally start in that (apologies if this is incorrect).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Only if he'd previously played for the England Under-21s, or signs for Villa.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Doesn't matter how good he is now, or how good he may become.
Not a chance of him getting the nod while he plays for Brighton.
Just like Dunky.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes, but do you believe they have greater strength in depth in the position Trossard plays than England?

They have a good starting 11, but I don’t believe Trossard normally start in that (apologies if this is incorrect).

Well I’m an England fan, and though this bunch seem pretty good down the years we’ve always tended to get a bit carried away with our hyped up players. Seen it many times. Until we actually achieve something I’ll reserve judgment.

The way Belgium so easily dispatched us (twice) in the World Cup was pretty clinical. And as said they are number 1 in the world for a reason. Arguably they are better than us.

Tross isn’t in their first team. He’s in the squad. So maybe an equivalent for England would be Ollie Watkins, Ward Prowse, Bellingham. I genuinely don’t think Southgate would pick him and I think that’s telling.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well I’m an England fan, and though this bunch seem pretty good down the years we’ve always tended to get a bit carried away with our hyped up players. Until we actually achieve something I’ll reserve judgment.

The way Belgium so easily dispatched us (twice) in the World Cup was pretty clinical. And as said they are number 1 in the world for a reason. Arguably they are better than us.

Tross isn’t in their first team. He’s in the squad. So maybe an equivalent for England would be Ollie Watkins, Ward Prowse, Bellingham. I don’t think Southgate would pick him and I think that’s telling.

I think Maddison, Grealish, Ward-Prowse, Harvey Barnes, are nearer his peers. I see Watkins more of a forward than Trossard who seems to play a floating role. (Tross is better than him and Bellingham IMO).

By the way I do agree re Southgate, just don’t think he’s better than those I’ve referenced.

Actually [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION] I consider myself a follower rather than a fan of England ��

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think a more pertinent question is - if White had stayed with his bestie at Leeds and played EXACTLY the same as he has for us, would he be in this squad? Lots of media talk about being a utility player.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think a more pertinent question is - if White had stayed with his bestie at Leeds and played EXACTLY the same as he has for us, would he be in this squad? Lots of media talk about being a utility player.

Also a good point well made.

Doesn’t speak very well for Mr Southgate’s selection policy.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
No, because he plays for Brighton.

Give him a multi-million pound move somewhere and Gareth might call him up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here