Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] 50's Brighton Video

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If you've not much time.

Go to about 18:30 in the video and see the brass band playing SBTS on a resplendent Madeira Drive

How have we let things slip so badly?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A good overview of Brighton during the 1950's and made just a year before l was born, loved the shot of the bus outside the station at the start.

Martin Clunes has quite a resemblance to his father too!

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Wonderful view back to my childhood - summer days on the beach & in the paddling pool!!

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Great video.
A clever idea having a ghost from a bygone era revisiting modern Brighton.
The 50s really was a time when the Brighton of yester year could still be felt,like the end of one era and the beginning of another so not too dissimilar.
Its difficult to feel the ghosts of old brighton these days as some parts are too modern and the old parts are falling into decay.
Excellent watch thanks for posting.
Martin clunes talks exactly like his father too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great video.
A clever idea having a ghost from a bygone era revisiting modern Brighton.

There's an error in the timings though. The ghost remembers visiting Dr Russell but Russell died 20 years before John Eld was born. Some sloppy researchers on that part of the film

(having said that, it's a great watch - Brighton before I was born)

May 5, 2020
Sussex
There's an error in the timings though. The ghost remembers visiting Dr Russell but Russell died 20 years before John Eld was born. Some sloppy researchers on that part of the film

(having said that, it's a great watch - Brighton before I was born)

Yes I noticed that too.
I think it may be some confusion with the filmmakers around the name"Dr Brighton"which is a name I'm starting to research a bit after reading another thread on NSC.
Or it's possible that the film makers used a slight bit of licence so they could mention Russell as"Dr Brighton"and then link to show the character having a pint at"Dr Brighton's"(the star and garter on kings road.)
I will be looking into this John eld character a bit more after watching this vid that is for certain.

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Fantastic. I didn’t show up on Planet Earth until 1972 and even then I was stuck on the Isle of Sheppey. I like to imagine the child version of my Dad walking along the coast on a day trip down from Ringmer.

No glass animal man?

Edit: Just checked. Apparently he didn’t come to Brighton until the early 60s.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Just wonderful So many memories . That little bird in a cage in The Lanes I remember as a kid and so much more .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here