Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Extreme E - Electric SUV motor racing

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I'm not really into motor sports in general but quite looking forward to this, starting this Sunday on ITV.

I think Lewis Hamilton and Jensen Button have teams. Teams consist of one male and one female driver and races are run in parts of the world where climate change is an issue.

"Another innovative feature is the Hyperdrive. This will award an additional boost of speed to the team who performs the longest jump on the first jump of each race. Hyperdrive power can be used by that team at any point in the race."

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm not really into motor sports in general but quite looking forward to this, starting this Sunday on ITV.

I think Lewis Hamilton and Jensen Button have teams. Teams consist of one male and one female driver and races are run in parts of the world where climate change is an issue.

"Another innovative feature is the Hyperdrive. This will award an additional boost of speed to the team who performs the longest jump on the first jump of each race. Hyperdrive power can be used by that team at any point in the race."

Not sure there is a part of the world where it isn't an issue ... anyway, look forward to people shouting "engage hyperdrive"

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
They must be giving the coverage rights away for free, it's live on six channels!

BT Sport 1
Eurosport 2
ITV
Sky Sports Action
Sky Sports Mix
BBC Red Button

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
They must be giving the coverage rights away for free, it's live on six channels!

BT Sport 1
Eurosport 2
ITV
Sky Sports Action
Sky Sports Mix
BBC Red Button

Yeah I think ITV only have an hour of it but it's a full weekend thing that can be watched on the Extreme E website as well as most social media.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I can't help but think that it's a bit like watching someone play with a remote control car .

Ah, for that you need last week's Top Gear: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000tqmg

Exlpvr7WgAMtNFk.jpg

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Yes I have gone off motor sport in general last few years especially F1 and electric F1 just doesn't seem right.
But I saw this a few months ago and it grabbed my attention.
I did wonder could this be this be the F1 of this millennium?
A good mix of top gear style adventure, rally,electric power units and F1s global international exotic locations.
I'm defenitly excited about this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can't help but think that it's a bit like watching someone play with a remote control car .

Quite like that idea - give me the remote to control via my Playstation and yet two suckers sit in the car while I race it. Almost military drone like.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I really enjoyed the qualifying sessions today and judging by what I've seen in qualifying ,The main races tomorrow should be packed with action and drama.
Button and kuttilinskis emotions must already be all over the place,but I'm glad to see they have qualified for the crazy race despite the huge 175 second time penalty they incurred.
Should be interesting to see how well the experienced time trial drivers who did well in qualifying cope with being in a race with two other cars alongside them.
It will also be exciting to see three cars racing each other on a track that looks pretty scary with just the one car dashing round,let alone 3.
Great to see both male and female drivers together and I'm guessing tomorrow we will see lots of moments in the races where there will be male and female drivers battling against eachother which will be interesting.
The format looks fantastic so far,I can't wait to see the main races Tomorrow.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
There was a massive wipe out today and that was just one car on the track. 3 at a time should be fun!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Reading between the lines, it's been infinitely funded by Saudi Arabia.

A veteran German - reminded me of Sabine Schmitz, did Le Mans and Nurburg - was in a crash that looked pretty epic, spun a few times and landed on the top of the car. The chassis is made by a company who reckon it's invincible, which pretty much seems to have been the case. She was more bothered about whether she could race tomorrow.

The climate change link is about as tenuous as claiming you're doing your bit to stay hydrated by drinking 12 pints of Harveys

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
The climate change link is about as tenuous as claiming you're doing your bit to stay hydrated by drinking 12 pints of Harveys

That's what I suspected at first but they've employed climate change scientists to make sure they are leaving each loacation better than they found it.

As for funding it's mostly Lewis Hamilton and The Cream Group owned by Ryan Bish. I don't think that's a very Suadi name.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
The back slapping commentary is patronising and totally over the top.
It's as if the event/series is sponsored by Leeds Utd.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I quite enjoyed that.
Not bad for a first event.
The cars look the business, Kristofferson move was fantastic and great to see Molly Taylor take the chequered flag for her team.
The only thing that worried me was once Kristofferson was Infront, nobody could catch him because he was throwing up so much sand the driver's behind couldn't see.
If that becomes a regular thing then I can't see interest lasting long.
But it's early days and I'm sure the organisers will be changing a few things to ensure the format gets better and better.
It defenitly has the feel similar to those early days of motor racing with a handleful of enthusiasts putting a few races together and it does feel like it has a lot of potential to become a big event.
I will defenitly be watching the next round.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Is it just time trials (all I've seen) or actual racing?

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
The only thing that worried me was once Kristofferson was Infront, nobody could catch him because he was throwing up so much sand the driver's behind couldn't see.

Yeah it looks like if you can get a good start and don't make a mistake you're uncatchable. But the good thing is they start in a row not a grid and that first corner can be dangerous.

Is it just time trials (all I've seen) or actual racing?

The first 2 days is qualifying and then it's racing, 3 cars at a time. Today's racing will be on ITVhub I should think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here