Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] George Floyd trial

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Naturally won’t comment on the subject matter, but viewing at the moment via link on BBC. A female witness currently giving evidence appears to be totally spaced out and half asleep when being asked questions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched the opening statements from the Prosecution and Defence this afternoon. The prosecution showed the entire 9 and a half minutes filmed by a bystander as Chauvin knelt on his neck. I'd never seen it outside of the news coverage, which was obviously sanitised, and it was utterly sickening. The bystanders and others were imploring Chauvin to step back and let him breathe. Floyd was begging for several minutes, until after about 5 minutes he gradually became unresponsive, then stopped speaking and moving. Chauvin did not release his hold until an ambulance was there and they lifted his lifeless body onto a stretcher. He was already cuffed, he posed no threat, its inexplicable that Chauvin saw fit to kneel on his back and neck for nearly 10 minutes, especially after he'd gone spark out underneath him.

The Prosecution is saying his death was caused by asphyxiation. The Defence claim Floyd died of a cardiac arrest, brought on by an existing condition and substances in his bloodstream.

IMO the video evidence is absolutely damning, and this cop is going down. If somehow he doesn't - oh boy, is this going to kick off.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Naturally won’t comment on the subject matter, but viewing at the moment via link on BBC. A female witness currently giving evidence appears to be totally spaced out and half asleep when being asked questions.

She doesn’t want to be there according to CNN, just a regular person who happened to take some key videos on her phone. Overawed by being live on TV to millions.

It won’t inhibit the prosecution case, the videos themselves and all the other evidence are all that matters. But she is required to explain her story.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
She doesn’t want to be there according to CNN, just a regular person who happened to take some key videos on her phone. Overawed by being live on TV to millions.

It won’t inhibit the prosecution case, the videos themselves and all the other evidence are all that matters. But she is required to explain her story.

At least she is being led through her evidence and only (generally) required to give ‘yes’, ‘no’ or ‘don’t know’ answers

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At least she is being led through her evidence and only (generally) required to give ‘yes’, ‘no’ or ‘don’t know’ answers

I wonder if the defence team will tear into her in time honoured fashion, questioning her background, memory, brushes with the law, prior views on the police?

Hopefully irrelevant, the videos are a matter of fact.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, this age of the video phone with (almost) every one of us having a video camera in our pockets is an absolute gamechanger. Were it not for the video we see from the guy who records the whole thing, with his own "WTF are you DOING man ??" running commentary, this horrendous incident would likely never have seen the light of day. Its like a dashboard camcorder exposing exactly what happened.

I would expect the guy who filmed this is a witness to be called to the stand. His evidence is going to be a bumpy road for the defence, to say the least.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Not sure how attacking the witnesses will benefit them and agree the video stands on its own merits.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure how it will benefit them and agree the video stands on its own merits.

The defence will look to muddy the waters as much as possible in order to cast "reasonable doubt" for the jury. They will call doctors to ascertain Floyd had a pre-existing heart condition, they will bring to the fore that he had taken substances that day (something I assume is backed up by the autopsy).

But prior to that cop kneeling on his neck he was responsive and lucid, for 4 or 5 minutes as he begged for his life. I just can't see a jury seeing past that, because its evidence in front of your very eyes. This, I think, will just be a case of whether Chauvin is convicted of 2nd/3rd degree murder and/or manslaughter. Anything less and I predict a riot.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I watched the opening statements from the Prosecution and Defence this afternoon. The prosecution showed the entire 9 and a half minutes filmed by a bystander as Chauvin knelt on his neck. I'd never seen it outside of the news coverage, which was obviously sanitised, and it was utterly sickening. The bystanders and others were imploring Chauvin to step back and let him breathe. Floyd was begging for several minutes, until after about 5 minutes he gradually became unresponsive, then stopped speaking and moving. Chauvin did not release his hold until an ambulance was there and they lifted his lifeless body onto a stretcher. He was already cuffed, he posed no threat, its inexplicable that Chauvin saw fit to kneel on his back and neck for nearly 10 minutes, especially after he'd gone spark out underneath him.

The Prosecution is saying his death was caused by asphyxiation. The Defence claim Floyd died of a cardiac arrest, brought on by an existing condition and substances in his bloodstream.

IMO the video evidence is absolutely damning, and this cop is going down. If somehow he doesn't - oh boy, is this going to kick off.

Come now. The man was ill, both physically and mentally. And he had a history of drug use. It was only a matter of time. It cannot be proven that the police action (which was arguably justified) had anything whasoever to do with the sad and tragic death.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The defence will look to muddy the waters as much as possible in order to cast "reasonable doubt" for the jury. They will call doctors to ascertain Floyd had a pre-existing heart condition, they will bring to the fore that he had taken substances that day (something I assume is backed up by the autopsy).

But prior to that cop kneeling on his neck he was responsive and lucid, for 4 or 5 minutes as he begged for his life. I just can't see a jury seeing past that, because its evidence in front of your very eyes. This, I think, will just be a case of whether Chauvin is convicted of 2nd/3rd degree murder and/or manslaughter. Anything less and I predict a riot.

I do so hope you're correct. Another travesty here would pretty much confirm what we all suspected - when push comes to shove, black lives don't matter.

However the right verdict would be transformative. Fingers and toes crossed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Come now. The man was ill, both physically and mentally. And he had a history of drug use. It was only a matter of time. It cannot be proven that the police action (which was arguably justified) had anything whasoever to do with the sad and tragic death.

The scary thing is, 10-15 years ago prior to widespread camera phones, that would easily have stood. Easily.

Its to the credit of the bystanders, one in particular, who saw just how f*cked up this was and made sure it was captured in full. Chauvin was sacked from the MPD the very next day, which tells you all you need to know. Now, naturally, he's just trying to weasel his way to the softest sentence he can. Surely he knows he's not getting off though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The scary thing is, 10-15 years ago that would easily have stood. Easily.

Its to the credit of the bystanders, one in particular, who saw just how f*cked up this was and made sure it was captured in full. Chauvin was sacked from the MPD the very next day, which tells you all you need to know. Now, naturally, he's just trying to weasel his way to the softest sentence he can. Surely he knows he's not getting off though.

I do so hope you're right.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

So can the players stop taking a knee now in the Premier League then Harry knowing he got what was coming to him ?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure how attacking the witnesses will benefit them and agree the video stands on its own merits.

Muddying the waters. It’s a crazy nation, OJ Simpson walked after murdering his wife, with a top team of flamboyant lawyers wooing the jury and throwing nonsensical grenades into the raft of evidence.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Expect much commentary from some parts of society transferring the emphasis to the character of the deceased from the actions of the accused.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Guilty as charged IMO but as others have said, in America who knows?! Especially if the defence or prosecution for that matter is white.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Whatever the officer is guilty of - it’s not second degree murder and I’m stunned they are charging him with that, if he gets found guilty of that it will be taken to the highest courts possible on appeal.

I don’t see how a fair trial is possible with this much media hysteria over the issue, the jury and judge know if he were found not guilty there will be riots and mobs on the streets and as such - regardless of his guilt, how can this ever be a ‘fair’ trial? When those deciding his fate know the outcome if he were found not guilty?

Just to clarify I’m not saying he’s not guilty, I believe he is guilty of manslaughter, and I find it hard to believe any court could convict of any murder charge.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Expect much commentary from some parts of society transferring the emphasis to the character of the deceased from the actions of the accused.

Hopefully any sane and non-racist juror will see that the moment he was cuffed and controlled, there was zero need for the barbaric technique to cut off air to his lungs.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Technical fault from the court room when it was showing some of the most disturbing video footage. Makes me wonder if that was deliberate.
That's the end of day 1.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here