Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Varndean College Opinions

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Mrs GGCM is considering applying for a teaching role there. Any opinions (within reason) as to the performance of the college and the staff would be much appreciated. Obviously I can look at the most recent OFSTED report, but first hand knowledge is a great thing.

Cheers

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I understand Varndean is one of the top 3 state secondary schools in Brighton along with cardinal Newman & Dorothy stringer .

A friends wife applied for a teaching job at a private secondary school in Sussex ( not able to say which one ) but one of the top performing schools by results and she was told they had over 350 applications all with the qualifications requested . She’s still waiting to hear ...

Good luck !

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Mrs GGCM is considering applying for a teaching role there. Any opinions (within reason) as to the performance of the college and the staff would be much appreciated. Obviously I can look at the most recent OFSTED report, but first hand knowledge is a great thing.

Cheers

My youngest lad is in his first year there, obviously because of lockdown he’s been doing online lessons for a large part of this time.
He enjoys college and is doing well, he is pretty smart though ( gets his brains from his mum ) :)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It's a lot easier to teach there now, since me and the rest of my hooligan mates left in 1972.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
In the early 90s, they had summer end of term parties for the students - all six formers - where we bought raffle tickets that could be exchanged for Alcohol. After consuming a bottle of Merrydown cider on the roof of Stringer beforehand I was naturally violently ill.

I'm guessing that no longer happens and there is a focus on learning and woke shite like that.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Harry Alt?

I was in a lesson, when he spotted a lad flicking ink at people with his fountain pen. So the aforementioned teacher picked up the offender, turned him upside down, mopped up the ink with his long hair, and put him headfirst in the bin. They don't make teachers like that any more.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I was in a lesson, when he spotted a lad flicking ink at people with his fountain pen. So the aforementioned teacher picked up the offender, turned him upside down, mopped up the ink with his long hair, and put him headfirst in the bin. They don't make teachers like that any more.

I can believe that! What vintage Old Varndeanian would you be?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I can believe that! What vintage Old Varndeanian would you be?

I left in 1978, or technically 1979, as I was a thicko and failed all my A levels at the first attempt, and had to take them all again. I remember another anecdote of that teacher. A mate came into our class to ask for something, completely innocently. HA gave him a right hook to the jaw, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. He just hadn't done anything wrong.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I went to BHASVIC in the 80s and my younger brother went to Varndean. I always thought that Varndean
was a lot more laid back and more arty than BHASVIC. But most importantly, in a punch-up, I think
BHASVIC would come out on top. Probably not much use to be fair.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I left in 1978, or technically 1979, as I was a thicko and failed all my A levels at the first attempt, and had to take them all again. I remember another anecdote of that teacher. A mate came into our class to ask for something, completely innocently. HA gave him a right hook to the jaw, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. He just hadn't done anything wrong.

I remember Arry slapping one of my mates on the cheek so hard you could hear the sound echo around the quad. There was a story that he hung a kid out of a second floor window and left him dangling there - I never knew whether it was a true or not but it was sort of thing he would have done.

He'd be in prison if he were teaching today - a total psycho.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Harry Alt?

No such teacher. You must mean Screaming Harry Alt. I also left in 1972 following a retake year. I think there were just five of us. I well remember Harry screaming at a lad at the back of a history class and firing a blackboard rubber in his direction like a missile. Best days of our lives......

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Of my 3 children 1 went to Varndean, didn’t really enjoy it, second went to BHASVIC, throughly enjoyed it and at Uni now, third at BHASVIC now and enjoys it!

My kids think BHASVIC is better.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Of my 3 children 1 went to Varndean, didn’t really enjoy it, second went to BHASVIC, throughly enjoyed it and at Uni now, third at BHASVIC now and enjoys it!

My kids think BHASVIC is better.

Not really much evidence to base opinion on, neither of them went to both. Both of my kids went to varndean, daughter did IB and got the equivalent of A*A*A, sone did sciences and maths A*AB. If the student is academic they will succeed at either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here