Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Finding Jackie Charlton

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On BBC2 tonight at 9pm. This has been well publicised and it is marked as a must watch in our house. I don't think it will be an easy watch though.

Its a terrific documentary, sensitively handled as you'd expect. Heartbreaking for his family of course, but a lot of him at the time of filming was still very much "there", and he seemed happy and content within himself, he certainly enjoyed being with his grandchildren. Just a lovely man, and a life very well lived. The producers of this doc have done him proud, covering his life as a player, a manager and a man, with some interesting insights into his relationship with his brother.

I might even watch it again.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Came into it part way through, it’s compelling stuff, brilliantly produced.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Have watched the first half tonight and will watch the second tomorrow night. Very cleverly put together. Compelling and emotional. Alzheimer’s is a very cruel disease.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I never realised that Paul McGrath was brought up in an orphanage because he was born out of wedlock.

Different times

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Its a terrific documentary, sensitively handled as you'd expect. Heartbreaking for his family of course, but a lot of him at the time of filming was still very much "there", and he seemed happy and content within himself, he certainly enjoyed being with his grandchildren. Just a lovely man, and a life very well lived. The producers of this doc have done him proud, covering his life as a player, a manager and a man, with some interesting insights into his relationship with his brother.

I might even watch it again.

Agree with all of that, it’s just had a real impact on me.

I’ve just said to the other half she needs to watch it with me again. The football matches are only a side note really. What a man. Reminds me so much of my Grandad who was the exact same age and had dementia in the last few years of his life.

Very difficult seeing the tears in his eyes. Dementia is so so cruel but as you say, the producers have done him proud.

Always liked Paul McGrath too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Brilliant!.... Absolutely brilliant! No need to add any more there really.

Except to also say...

Good to see some of Paul McGrath's story being told too. I read his autobiography years ago, and he certainly had it tough. What a player he was! Glad to see him shown the appreciation he deserves. Jack clearly would have been chuffed about that too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Superbly produced and very moving. For anyone who’s had a loved one with dementia it would have been distressing too.

Why his brother has a knighthood and Jack didn’t is both a mystery and a disgrace.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Absolutely brilliant documentary, telling a social and cultural story of a giant of a man, and an adopted country, through football.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Excellent in every way , so moving . They do not make them like him anymore sadly .

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Great countryman as well as great player and manager.
Very good documentary, so sad to see his decline before he passed

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
as an irish leeds fan jackie is a special guy. took some guts to turn up at leeds and replace what was then the best centre half in europe at the age of 21 "i like centre backs who stop other people playing" was his whole career. desperately sad to see him deprived of his memory in the later years, i know his family thought long and hard before going ahead with this documentary but ultimately decided that underneath it all jackie would have wanted to shine a light and try and help others. it's a joy to us all when big jack has the ball, they don't make them like him now. i wonder how he'd fare today, smoking and drinking on the training ground!

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Recommended to anyone who missed this. What a life. Not an easy bloke but he had his own highly successful path. Dementia is a terrible thing, and a concern for those of us who played centre half back in the day.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Apart from being a legendary sporting figure in both England and Ireland I don't think it can be underestimated how important he was in healing relations between the two countries. He was genuinely loved in Ireland and illustrated that English people are not typically the Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage type, but are more commonly down-to-earth and humorous. I think the Jack years also represented Ireland positively on British TVs for the first time and helped establish that we have much in common. Mind you, Brexit has rolled-back much of this progress...

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I do wonder how the dementia issue will impact football in the next 5 years?

The greatest set of brothers to play for England both had it, Terry Venables is seriously ill with it, I know for a fact an Albion legend suffers with it, will we ultimately see heading taken out of the game?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I do wonder how the dementia issue will impact football in the next 5 years?

The greatest set of brothers to play for England both had it, Terry Venables is seriously ill with it, I know for a fact an Albion legend suffers with it, will we ultimately see heading taken out of the game?

I think we will. Tony Cacarino has written on this. He gives it less than 30 years. I think it will start with no kicking from the keepers hand and goal kicks having to be taken short. It will start in the youth leagues.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I watched the first 20 mins and won't be watching any more. The production was rubbish and probably made by people
who knew nothing about football. Not for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here