Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 60 Years Ago

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
In January 1961 Johnny Haynes became the first £100 a week footballer after the maximum wage was scrapped. This equates to roughly £1,900 a week or £100,000 a year now. How times have changed, but how many of us think this is closer to a more realistic wage for a top footballer than the obscene amount they do earn.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Without Sky sports and BT and the like , I think the salary would reduce about 75% for PL footballers . However as football is now consumed live globally , salary’s are super high for the top leagues . Are the players really worth it , No .

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
In January 1961 Johnny Haynes became the first £100 a week footballer after the maximum wage was scrapped. This equates to roughly £1,900 a week or £100,000 a year now. How times have changed, but how many of us think this is closer to a more realistic wage for a top footballer than the obscene amount they do earn.

To be fair though, he was topping it up with writing car maintenance manuals on the side ;)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's like the old player profiles

Favourite car - Ford cortina
Favourite food - steak
Favourite drink - pina colana
Favourite TV programme - Z cars
Favourite holiday - Spain
Favourite music- Demis Rousoss
Favourite hobby - stamp collecting

Current players can't be nearly as interesting

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's like the old player profiles

Favourite car - Ford cortina
Favourite food - steak
Favourite drink - pina colana
Favourite TV programme - Z cars
Favourite holiday - Spain
Favourite music- Demis Rousoss
Favourite hobby - stamp collecting

Current players can't be nearly as interesting

Z cars was long gone before Decs Rousoss become top billing so you’ve made that up.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I don't blame Mr Haynes for accepting the staggering wage of £100, or the wage Mr francis must have been on after becoming the first £1m footballer. I don't begrudge the present set of players to accept the ridiculous amount they're on for kicking a ball about. If some one is willing to pay through the nose for the privilege of of a talented sportsperson to showcase their skills for their club, I say good for them...even though I'm jealous as hell!!
Nothing to do really during this international break, as without top flight football, the likes of sky and bt become irrelevant

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Z cars was long gone before Decs Rousoss become top billing so you’ve made that up.

Demis Roussos hit No. 1 in the UK in 1976 with 'Forever and Ever' while the last series of Z Cars ran from 1975 - 1978, so there was a 3-year overlap.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Notwithstanding that it's been proven that there was an overlap, why couldn't a footballer like a programme that was no longer being broadcast? Their a funny breed, they could have said they like Donny Osmond and Mr Ed!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I love the fact people checked my random claim... I also claim I can burrow through the side of an elephant:
My mum loved Demi’s Rousos and once at one of his concerts he asked her to stand up so the audience could see her beautiful kaftan which she had made and embroidered herself. She was so chuffed that night.... she was a very good dressmaker

Last edited:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
60 years ago this week Wooden Heart by Elvis was number 1.

And I was born. How the bloody hell did I get so old? 3 points away at the Mancs would be nice on the day.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

Financed by Tommy Trinder, you lucky people!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here