Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] The Boat Race

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Got to be one of the top 3 greatest sporting events in the UK each year. I had the pleasure of travelling up to watch it some three or four years ago and me and Mrs Crodo had an absolute hoot, the atmosphere was absolutely electric.

Like many other things of course the 2021 Boat Race will be different, held on the River Ouse to avoid the many hundreds of thousands who congregate on the Thames every year, so we will all be forced to watch it at home and watch it with fake crowd noise, but there will still be many millions watching for what is a sporting institution. Can't be many better ways to spend an Easter Sunday afternoon. Had a cheeky twenty quid on Cambridge -0.5 lengths as well.

:clap:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The 1877 race was declared a dead heat by race judge John Phelps and neither team won. Many people felt Phelps made an error and whether or not he was a good judge has since been questioned.

No VAR :shrug:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As sporting events go, it's not that competitive.

Oxford and Cambridge always seem to be in the final.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting sponsor this year - Gemini: An exchange for buying, selling and storing cryptocurrency. Fair play to them, they know their market (tax-dodging, elitist toffs).

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Got to be one of the top 3 greatest sporting events in the UK each year. I had the pleasure of travelling up to watch it some three or four years ago and me and Mrs Crodo had an absolute hoot, the atmosphere was absolutely electric.

Like many other things of course the 2021 Boat Race will be different, held on the River Ouse to avoid the many hundreds of thousands who congregate on the Thames every year, so we will all be forced to watch it at home and watch it with fake crowd noise, but there will still be many millions watching for what is a sporting institution. Can't be many better ways to spend an Easter Sunday afternoon. Had a cheeky twenty quid on Cambridge -0.5 lengths as well.

Seriously top 3! Elite event held by elite institutes by people who are given places at Oxbridge because they were in rowing team at school - don’t see that on offer at many state schools in Sussex

Lucky to be in top 10 - FA Cup Final, Wimbledon, The Open, Grand National, Test Matches, The Derby, Six Nations, world Flounder Catching Competition (yes it’s real), The Tour de France, Super Bowl, Champions League Final, World Darts, that tumbling now a hill chasing a cheese competition in Gloucestershire, Rugby League Challenge Cup Final, etc

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Seriously top 3! Elite event held by elite institutes by people who are given places at Oxbridge because they were in rowing team at school - don’t see that on offer at many state schools in Sussex

Lucky to be in top 10 - FA Cup Final, Wimbledon, The Open, Grand National, Test Matches, The Derby, Six Nations, world Flounder Catching Competition (yes it’s real), The Tour de France, Super Bowl, Champions League Final, World Darts, that tumbling now a hill chasing a cheese competition in Gloucestershire, Rugby League Challenge Cup Final, etc

You’re new here, aren’t you? :smile:

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne

Though I'd get in early and say yes please to be entered into the sweepstake.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If the fake crowd noise isn't just "Rar rar rar, we're going to smash the oiks!" from The Young Ones repeated ad nasueum then I am out.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

giphy.gif

I had a bet with my mate Steve at school, probably in 1959. He was Oxford, I was Cambridge. The bet was sixpence but we'd double this stake every year. I just tried to work out what the stake would be this year but my maths isn't up to it.

Bloody shedloads no doubt. Where are you Steve, are you still up for this?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I had a bet with my mate Steve at school, probably in 1959. He was Oxford, I was Cambridge. The bet was sixpence but we'd double this stake every year. I just tried to work out what the stake would be this year but my maths isn't up to it.

£115,292,150,460,685,000.00

:ohmy:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Bloody shedloads no doubt. Where are you Steve, are you still up for this?

6d = 2½np to the power of (2021-1959) = 62 then divide by 100 to convert from pence to pounds
in Excel =(2.5^62)/100 = £47,019,774,032,891,500,000,000

Enough to easily wipe off the national debt [or own Citeh]

Edit: something wrong with my sums there, just recalculated longhand and come up with £57,646,075,230,342,400

Either way, it's more that I've got in my [piggy] bank

By the way - I'm not Steve ....

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here