Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Inguinal Hernia

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I am shortly going to have an operation to repair an inguinal hernia. The hospital has been very thorough explaining the procedure and the likely recovery period after. I was wondering what the experience has been like for others on here, particularly in terms of timescale before you can return fully to things like going to a gym, swimming etc (hospital is saying about 4-6 weeks). From the MRI scan they say it is a fairly small hernia and it will be an open mesh repair.

Thanks

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
I am shortly going to have an operation to repair an inguinal hernia. The hospital has been very thorough explaining the procedure and the likely recovery period after. I was wondering what the experience has been like for others on here, particularly in terms of timescale before you can return fully to things like going to a gym, swimming etc (hospital is saying about 4-6 weeks). From the MRI scan they say it is a fairly small hernia and it will be an open mesh repair.

Thanks

Ahoy, there was a program on the telly box last night and they showed a double hernia operation, one large one and one small one. told him (he was in his 70's) that he could not do any heavy lifting for at least 6 weeks.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Had a double Inguinal Hernia repair at the Montefiore in Hove around 8yrs ago. Was only scheduled for one side, but whilst the consultant was in there he took a look at the other side and gave it a quick fix too! Went under GA but was out the same day.

Was pretty uncomfortable for 3-4 days but plenty of prescription pain killers helped. I can't really recall the rehab process, but looking at my Strava history I can see I was running again after about 8 weeks with no issues and it's been good as gold ever since.

Hope it all works out ok!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Had a mesh one a few years ago. General anaesthetic and in and out in a day and no discomfort at all. About six weeks recovery from memory. Good luck, it’s all pretty routine from what I gather and hope you get as lucky as me with no pain at all :thumbsup:

haardman

Jul 29, 2005
Yeah, I had the mesh repair done a couple of years back. In and out same day. As others have said it was about 6 weeks till I was back on the five-a-side pitch. It worked a treat though. I'd been carrying that tear for a couple of years - thought it was just a groin strain.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Had a double Inguinal Hernia repair at the Montefiore in Hove around 8yrs ago. Was only scheduled for one side, but whilst the consultant was in there he took a look at the other side and gave it a quick fix too! Went under GA but was out the same day.

Was pretty uncomfortable for 3-4 days but plenty of prescription pain killers helped. I can't really recall the rehab process, but looking at my Strava history I can see I was running again after about 8 weeks with no issues and it's been good as gold ever since.

Had exactly the same double op about 4 years ago at same hospital. In and out on same day after general Anaesthetic. Not huge amounts of pain but any just dealt with by painkillers. Back playing tennis about 7/8 weeks later but felt ok after a few days. Had no problems at all since.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

I had the something happen to me (albeit at the Nuffield) about 2 years ago haha woke up and they told me they done the other side too!

Not sure if it was an Inguinal Hernia, it was just above the groin, below belly button on either side, I know they put the gauze/mesh in, mad how they do it as theres not a mark on me.

TBH Ive never fully recovered, it still gives me the odd pain in the gym or if I stretch, apparently the Dr.'s say its the muscle around the mesh.

I should have been home the same day, though because the anaesthetic or pain killers numbed my bladder I couldn't pee no matter how much I tried or drank! Anyways thats another story I don't want to scare you with haha

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Ditto - but if your'e having keyhole your recovery time will be much quicker.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Had hernia surgery last September (mesh implant). General anaesthetic was amazing; they put the mask over my face, and I thought they were going to say "Start counting backwards from 10", but next thing I knew, I was waking up an hour or so later, as if from a really good sleep; didn't feel groggy or sick at all.

Into Operating Theatre at 4.30 pm, took about an hour, and then a couple of hours 'under observation' to make sure there were no problems or side-effects from the anaesthetic. Home again by 8.45 that evening.

Told to avoid heavy lifting or strenuous activity for a few weeks - and not to 'strain' when taking a dump - , but back at work 2 days later (obviously not if you work on a building site or refuse collection!).

Worse aspect were the painkillers (they did work) which cause chronic constipation - it really was like trying to sh*t a brick, but also trying to avoid straining!

Have had no problems since; 100% recovery.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Thanks for everybody's input, it's very helpful

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Mine was done at Uckfield hospital. In and out the same day and all has been okay ever since. Being self employed I ignored medical advice and went back to work after 3 days however if you can take the time off then my advice would be to do so. There’s not much pain after the operation and indeed I only took the strong pain killers (that they gave me) for a day before getting fed up with how they made me feel. I was surprised at how black and bruised my testicles were post op so god knows what they did to them whilst I was unconscious I also seem to recall having to shave one side of my body from my kneecap to my bellybutton which was inspected by the nurse and the surgeon before I had the op. You soon get used to flashing your bits and bobs at complete strangers! :)

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Had mine at the Nuffield three years ago, ended up staying in overnight as they started the op so late. Pretty uncomfortable for a couple days - you won't be able to drive for at least a week, be extra careful when straining to lay that cable and don't lift anything. Was back playing football after 6 weeks and never had a problem with it since.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Had to have 2 done separately, both mesh. Fortunate to be able to go privately under employers health care plan at Nuffield, with an overnight stay and full English in the morning! Quite a lot of pain for a couple of days ( strong painkillers worked) and didn’t do much for a couple of weeks. My last op was about 7 years ago and not had a problem since. Good luck, hope it goes well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve had three of those hernias but the last was in 1983 and I had to sign a discharge declaration in the hospital to get out early for the cup final. It was a stupid thing to do but I was a young, wide eyed, big bottomed anarchist .

Anyway even though it was 10 days in hospital to the in and out of nowadays you really need six weeks of being careful while the mesh and muscle heals.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I had a hernia repair under general anesthetic at the end of February 2020 in a BUPA hospital. By May I was back to running 5k a day.

It was the first time I had ever had a general anesthetic. Just before I was put under I asked the anaesthetist how long it would take between him administering the drug and me becoming unconscious. Between 4 and 5 seconds was his answer.
"I find that hard to believe," I said, dismissively..
"Well, let's just see how we go, shall we," he replied. "Can you count backwards from 10 for me?"

Next thing I knew I woke up in a very bright room feeling like I'd just had the best sleep ever. A nurse came over and asked how I was.
"When are we going to get it done?" I complained.
"Get what done?"
"My operation - when's it happening?"
"About an hour ago she," replied." I'll find someone to get you back upstairs..."

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Even 38 years later though I still bring my knee up to protect that area when I sneeze. Mine got stuck and was strangulating so I was rushed in as an emergency. Apparently you can get peritonitis when that happens......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here