Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you support Offside Rule being scrapped ?

Offside Rule

• Scrap the offside rule

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • Keep the offside rule

Votes: 150 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Ajax / AC Milan & Dutch superstar Marco Van Basten was quoted last week as saying he supports scrapping the offside rule in football as it would make it more interesting .

Do you agree ?

Clarification- Nothing to do with VAR , simply doing away with the offside rule totally .

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
nope. it would turn football into a high scoring game like basketball, and take away most of the games appeal.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I would scrap it as it stands now. Offside should not be a marginal call, it should be a clear one. The attacker should be clearly ahead of the defender none of this big toe, shoulder nonsense we have now.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Just for clarification- this thread is Not about VAR ( that’s previously been discussed) it’s simply should we get rid of the offside rule totally as Van Basten has suggested .

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Without seeing how it would work in practice I wouldn't know, but why not try it in one of the minor competitions like the EFL Trophy for a season? What's the worst that can happen??

Whist not a VAR thread, given how VAR now adjudicates to the finest of margins on offside calls the rule certainly needs tweaking to favor attacking sides.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ajax / AC Milan & Dutch superstar Marco Van Basten was quoted last week as saying he supports scrapping the offside rule in football as it would make it more interesting.

So would having a large wheel with all the players pictures on the side of the pitch and a random fan from the stands spins the wheel every 15 minutes and whoevers picture the arrow lands on gets blindfolded for 15 minutes and so on.

(I did initially think they should be shot)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Offside should only count if it's a part of the body that you can score with. Scrapping it would destroy the game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is too radical to scrap it entirely. I would however support a change that said that clear daylight should be between the two players , not the silly slide rule decisions.

But clear daylight would still come down to silly slide rule decisions.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think trial it.

The most common arguments for having the offside rule. "That it would just encourage full backs to continually boot it up to 6 foot 8 target men stood on the oppo 6 yard box to bully the keeper", probably would have been justified in the 1980s, but aren't now.

The "hoof and head" strategy would result in a lot of possession being lost and the workload of the midfields to continually get up and back would soon become unmanageable.

It would of course lead to a more stretched game, with greater emphasis on physical fitness. There would be larger spaces in midfield and gamers would "open up" to a much greater degree.

To me, the advantage would be add increase the simplicity of the game. The more you add simplicity, the more you add to accessibility. Also that it reduces the arbitrariness of whether someone is narrowly offside or not. When it comes down to it, who cares if someone is very slightly offside. We watch football to see which team has the greater set of skills.

It would surely increase the number of goals, but not drastically. It will mean more 3-2's that 7-4's

I just have a feeling that if it was just binned, we'd look back and wonder why we persisted with it for all those years

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
As will happen hopefully, they should only be considered off side if it's a part of the body that can be scored with. If anywhere between your shoulder and finger tip is in an off side position then it doesn't count as off side.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
But clear daylight would still come down to silly slide rule decisions.

Exactly: was it "clear daylight" or just almost clear daylight? Whatever the rule is there will still be borderline calls that will need to be resolved.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly: was it "clear daylight" or just almost clear daylight? Whatever the rule is there will still be borderline calls that will need to be resolved.

T'is how we got to VAR in the first place.

Changing the positions won't change the system.

"You can clearly see the attackers heel is behind the defenders knee - we need some kind of video assistance referee to help with these marginal decisions".

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
subbuteo.jpg

I have said for years that the offside line should moved from the halfway line to closer to the goal, similar to a Subutteo pitch (maybe not that close though).

It would stop teams playing such a high line and free up space in the middle of the park. There would still be space (although smaller) to play a ball over the top or into the channels.

If the defending team wanted to push players higher it would at their own risk.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They actually did an experimental close season competition that did away with the offside rule up in Scotland when I were a nipper. Think it might have been called the Dryborough Cup or similar. Might even have a programme from one of the games. Can't remember a single thing about it tho. Don't think they ever repeated the experiment so presumably wasn't the greatest success

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
It would turn it into a 10 v 10 game - plus the one player each side that would spend the game standing a yard from the goal, waiting for a big hoof in his direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here