Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The 80's - Documentary

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Dominic Sandbrook and Tom Holland have a superb podcast called 'The Rest Is History', I stuck a link on the Prime Minister thread last week but it's well worth seeking out. It's fairly new to me too, so have started seeking out other stuff they've done, so I'll definitely give this a go

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Been watching and enjoying it - I like, but don't always agree with, Sandbrook's willingness to challenge existing assumptions, a couple spring to mind. Firstly he implied that Thatcher's 1983 election victory had nothing to do with the Falklands war and cited polls of the time as support. It may be the case that people claimed they were voting tory for jobs and the economy but then they're quite unlikely to say they were driven to vote a certain way in an at of patriotism and because 'we' won the war, right?

Secondly, that the boom in consumerism in the 1980s was driven by people not policy??? Nah.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Been watching and enjoying it - I like, but don't always agree with, Sandbrook's willingness to challenge existing assumptions, a couple spring to mind. Firstly he implied that Thatcher's 1983 election victory had nothing to do with the Falklands war and cited polls of the time as support. It may be the case that people claimed they were voting tory for jobs and the economy but then they're quite unlikely to say they were driven to vote a certain way in an at of patriotism and because 'we' won the war, right?

Secondly, that the boom in consumerism in the 1980s was driven by people not policy??? Nah.

100%.
This was EXACTLY my reaction. It's good entertainment, but he's getting away with murder with some of his sweeping statements. Wrong in both those cases. Especially the second one.

There has also been a series on the 80's running on Sky Arts. Tom Hanks is one of the exec producers. Each week has looked at a differing topic (TV , Music (in particular the rise of MVT) and last week AIDS), the next one is politics (so essentially Regan). Obviously an American viewpoint, but that makes it interesting to see things from their perspective. I saw the Sandbrook ones when they first came out.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I watched this series when it was first on and Sandbrook drove me up the wall. He is consistently wrong about a lot of stuff that happened in the eighties and seems more motivated by a desire to say things about the decade that have not been said before than by a need to be accurate. When you have lived through things and then watch a historian who was at primary school at the time tell you what happened, you realise that history is no more reliable than contemporary journalism and far more subject to the ideological whim of the writer.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
100%.
This was EXACTLY my reaction. It's good entertainment, but he's getting away with murder with some of his sweeping statements. Wrong in both those cases. Especially the second one.

To back up the point about individual choice alone (not) driving increased consumerism through the 80's - here's an interesting essay (trigger warning - it's in the Guardian AND by George Monbiot) with a bit of a local link. Well, I found it interesting anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/15/age-of-obesity-shaming-overweight-people

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here