Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] This Is One For Allotment Buffs

el punal

A couple of years ago me and Mrs.Punal took over an allotment plot. Over time we’ve taken it from an overgrown, lumpy patch of nothingness into something that will produce a bounty of goodies. The inconvenience though has been in not having a shed to store our tools etc. We are now taking the plunge and will buy a decent sized job that will house all our gear and be sturdy enough to withstand the rigours of winter and stormy weather.

Now the problem. We have been advised not to store any valuable stuff in said shed as anything mechanical or electrical will be nicked by opportunistic scrotes. On that basis I intend to make the shed as secure as possible with reliable locks and bars. My question is - is it possible to be insured for theft and damage as the shed is on an allotment site and therefore away from the confines of your residence (i.e. covered by home insurance)?

Any answers gratefully received. Cheers! :drink:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
we don't have an allotment but we do have sheds and buildings away from our residence, zurich cover us under their allotment/shed policy. if you are storing petrol machinery it is a bit more tricky i think. but zurich have a pretty good policy on offer. does the allotment have a members group? you can do group policy via that too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We leave our allotment shed and the allotment Beach Hut residence unlocked. When we padlocked them the kids smashed the doors in to get access. This was worse than theft. I hide the strimmer under old nets. After 20 years we have had one break in and lost nothing. Kids usually look for a dope den and old bottles of alcohol left around. Insurance work out more expensive than replacing items.

A strongly defended shed must have something worth stealing.

el punal

we don't have an allotment but we do have sheds and buildings away from our residence, zurich cover us under their allotment/shed policy. if you are storing petrol machinery it is a bit more tricky i think. but zurich have a pretty good policy on offer. does the allotment have a members group? you can do group policy via that too.

We do belong to our allotment association and will looking to find out if they have overall cover for the site. If not maybe worth chasing up as a group policy.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
We leave our allotment shed and the allotment Beach Hut residence unlocked. When we padlocked them the kids smashed the doors in to get access. This was worse than theft. I hide the strimmer under old nets. After 20 years we have had one break in and lost nothing. Kids usually look for a dope den and old bottles of alcohol left around. Insurance work out more expensive than replacing items.

A strongly defended shed must have something worth stealing.

That was my approach too. Others got their windows and doors kicked in.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A couple of years ago me and Mrs.Punal took over an allotment plot. Over time we’ve taken it from an overgrown, lumpy patch of nothingness into something that will produce a bounty of goodies. The inconvenience though has been in not having a shed to store our tools etc. We are now taking the plunge and will buy a decent sized job that will house all our gear and be sturdy enough to withstand the rigours of winter and stormy weather.

Now the problem. We have been advised not to store any valuable stuff in said shed as anything mechanical or electrical will be nicked by opportunistic scrotes. On that basis I intend to make the shed as secure as possible with reliable locks and bars. My question is - is it possible to be insured for theft and damage as the shed is on an allotment site and therefore away from the confines of your residence (i.e. covered by home insurance)?

Any answers gratefully received. Cheers! :drink:

All we have is very old tools in the shed, together with an old padlock on door.
Luckily our plot hasn't had any break ins etc....
I think the more security you put on your shed, the more you're advertising you have stuff to nick.
We don't have insurance, as don't deem it worthy of what crap we have in our shed.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I thought allotments were a northern thing or at least that’s what I was told .

Seeing as nearly all allotment sites in Brighton and Hove have a 3+ year waiting list there must be a lot of Northerners in Brighton these days.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Seeing as nearly all allotment sites in Brighton and Hove have a 3+ year waiting list there must be a lot of Northerners in Brighton these days.

Over 6 years in Shoreham, place must be teeming with them

We have a small tool shed ( old tools) and a green house, which isn't green its clear. Neither have locks, and so far so good. The sharp stuff goes home.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
just hop on the train and look out the window.

Don’t usually use trains . At the risk of sounding daft , are allotments only for people that live in apartments that don’t have gardens ? Is that right or do some people have one as well as ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here