Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] OT: Apple Macbook Pro Password issue

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
I have a second hand mint condition 2017 Apple Macbook Pro - which I bought on Ebay in November. All absolutely fine until this week, suddenly when turning on, we get a request for a 6 character password. We don't have any such password, I have contacted previous owner - again nothing.

Apple will only provide help if we can show our original Apple purchase invoice, which we don't obviously have (and neither does the Ebay seller after all it was 4 years ago). I've Googled but nothing comes up of any use. Does anyone know an Apple guru who could help?

Any NSC help or suggestions much appreciated.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I'm my experience you can try a factory reset but you may need that password to do that.

The only other ways are to create a installation image from your mac and get that onto a usb and re install from there. Plenty of vids on YouTube, or buy a pre built USB from amazon and install again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077MJM...a_i_JB6VAE8F52Z8PHS7Y5HQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edit:You can upgrade to the highest version that your mac can take from High Sierra. El Capitan is a good stating point as well and I like that because of Bruno.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think by 2017 Apple had stopped the end user from upgrading the hard drive in a Macbook Pro so that limits options as you can't stick a new drive in and do an internet recovery to that to preserve data on the old drive.

Without the password I am guessing the only option would be to try an online recovery/re-install of the OS where you boot the Mac into Internet Recovery Mode (Press Option/Alt + Command + R at boot) this will use your internet connection to download and install the latest version of Mac OS. I believe a mid-2017 machine can run Big-Sur so it should install that. If you want to keep the same version of Mac OS then boot with Shift + Option/Alt + Command R. There are plenty of guides online that walk you through it and if you've got a decent internet connection it shouldn't take too long.

The only thing I am not sure of is if the OS will ask for the existing password before it wipes the drive, similar to how you can't factory reset an iPad until you've removed the apple account from it and you can't do that without knowing the apple password.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Have you tried contacting iMend? I have found them helpful in the past with iPhone, iPod and Mac issues.

I'm not sure if they are currently open but they have stores in Steyning and Billingshurst, might be worth a shot :shrug:

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
When you say fine until now, do you login as someone?

How does the prompt for the 6 (how do you know it’s 6?) letter password present itself?

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Apple Macbook issue

Thank you for all your help - now sorted, big up for iMend in Upper Beeding & iDoctor4U in Guildford. Phew a lucky and relatively cheap escape. Lesson learnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here