Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The world has gone mad

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
In My opinion the FA investigating a tweet made by a 24 year old player when he was 15 is taking things way too far. Nine years at this age is almost a lifetime when it comes to maturity and the formation of a world view and gaining a broader understanding of the world. Sure I doubt anything will come of the investigation but the fact that it is going ahead is great cause for concern. Who here can honestly say they have not changed opinions, said things they regret. Are we to be held accountable for our speech for the entirety of our lives, is there no acceptance that people change, that ruining a persons future for something they said decades ago is madness.

Notice I am not speaking about actions, some actions need to be held to account no matter the span of time. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56532415

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Don't really see the issue. He's apologised, the investigation will take place and, like you say, he's unlikely to be hit with a heavy punishment.

Not knowing what was in the tweet, we can't really say much more, can we?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Saw that and thought the same. Madness, although I’d like to take this opportunity to apologise to anyone I upset at nursery school.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Saw that and thought the same. Madness, although I’d like to take this opportunity to apologise to anyone I upset at nursery school.

I would also like to apologise in case I used the original Eeney, Meeney, Miney, Mo at Infants School in the late 50's or early 60's or allowed myself to be included when others used it. I have had loads of diversity training since then and now use Ip, Dip, Dog, Sh1t, You're it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not about him though is it, he's just the poor sap being used to send a message to everyone else (mo pun intended) that this is being taken seriously

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would also like to apologise in case I used the original Eeney, Meeney, Miney, Mo at Infants School in the late 50's or early 60's or allowed myself to be included when others used it. I have had loads of diversity training since then and now use Ip, Dip, Dog, Sh1t, You're it.

You are CANCELLED

I never used the N word or the P word as a youngster, mocked disabled people, or did anything prejudicial or discriminatory. No one did.

The 1970s in Brighton was a time of puritanical liberal absolutism. Just like today.

*Checks to see the internet wasn't around*

Last edited:

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
He's only a couple years younger than me, he's no dinosaur. I knew not to use that word then (if that is indeed the word used), so did he.

Strange wording to the apology that he's apologising to West Ham more than anyone he caused upset to. Anyway, I don't see why it's mad to do what is surely common practice to investigate hate speech, even if it was a few years ago.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He's only a couple years younger than me, he's no dinosaur. I knew not to use that word then (if that is indeed the word used), so did he.

Strange wording to the apology that he's apologising to West Ham more than anyone he caused upset to. Anyway, I don't see why it's mad to do what is surely common practice to investigate hate speech, even if it was a few years ago.

I wouldn’t class 9 years ago as a few.

Absolute waste of time, effort and money to investigate.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Brilliant - [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

He hasn't offended anyone. Someone has decided to highlight something he said as a kid to make some sort of capital somewhere.

Outrage is not an emotion, it is a weapon of agenda.

Welcome to modern society.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
He hasn't offended anyone. Someone has decided to highlight something he said as a kid to make some sort of capital somewhere.

But now that it's been highlighted, what do you expect the FA to do? Shrug their shoulders and say it was years ago?

I wouldn't advocate stringing him up but I'm surprised so many are quick to defend him due to his age. When I was 15 in the 90s, it certainly wouldn't have been socially acceptable to use a racial slur online or elsewhere. Homophobia and discrimination against the disabled were still pretty common but racism was already beyond the pale.

Anyway, without seeing the tweet in full it's hard to comment further.

Edit- just seen the tweet in question and see there was no malice at all. As always, context is key. Still, the FA can't just turn a blind eye.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

But now that it's been highlighted, what do you expect the FA to do? Shrug their shoulders and say it was years ago?

I wouldn't advocate stringing him up but I'm surprised so many are quick to defend him due to his age. When I was 15 in the 90s, it certainly wouldn't have been socially acceptable to use a racial slur online or elsewhere. Homophobia and discrimination against the disabled were still pretty common but racism was already beyond the pale.

Anyway, without seeing the tweet in full it's hard to comment further.

Edit- just seen the tweet in question and see their was no malice at all. As always, context is key. Still, the FA can't just turn a blind eye.

Oddly enough I agree with both of you (if that's possible).

You can't move these days for people trying to foment outrage online, agenda driven all of it. However, once seen it can't just be ignored pour encourager les autres.

It'll have been largely forgotten by the time the Premier League restarts. He may have one or two awkward conversations with teammates to get out of the way, but so you should when you've been stupid.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
In fairness... the "investigation" into a past tweet just involves a lot of scrolling and then a screen print. It's not exactly a massive undertaking involving teams of highly paid professionals!

That’s the thing though, it’s highly likely it will amount to a lot more than that.

Especially as the investigation will require an outcome and that outcome will likely be a small fine and Bowen to attend some sort of education programme.

Whilst not costing millions, the time and effort could be used far more productively.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That’s the thing though, it’s highly likely it will amount to a lot more than that.

Especially as the investigation will require an outcome and that outcome will likely be a small fine and Bowen to attend some sort of education programme.

Whilst not costing millions, the time and effort could be used far more productively.

The FA using it's time and money productively ? Then we would know the world really HAS gone mad :mad:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I agree.

Must be investigated as any hate speech on social media should.

Given the context, an apology seems like a fitting punishment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here