Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Unforgettable moments from football that have nothing to to with the match

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm thinking of the burger van at Cheltenham catching fire halfway through the game - that sort of thing.

Mine is from the FA Cup Semi Final at Wembley.

An hour or so before kick-off, my son (who was 7 at the time) and I were in that Costa Coffee half-way down Wembley Way. We were seated at a low table, sharing the few available seats with a group of City fans in their late 50s /early 60s, as there was nowhere else to sit. They were very pleasant and homely - in a Coronation Street type way - but quietly patronising my son about how this must be a "big day out." But of course for them it wasn't even their biggest game that week etc etc - and they'd be back for the final. (Conveniently passing over just how shit City had been for decades just a few years before).

A short while later a few Albion fans sauntered across, coffees in hand and stood next to the table, to get out of the way of the stream of customers coming and going. At this point, the cardboard sleeve on the cup being held by one of the newcomers split and the cup dropped from his hand and slammed squarely on the table, causing the entire contents to rise up out of the cup in slow motion. Something to do with the thermo-dynamic Law of liquid physics, I suppose. Or something.

In a glorious moment the entire globule of airbourne of coffee then landed directly in the crotch of one of the City fans, who doubly- unfortunately for him, was wearing cream-cloured chinos. At this point, his face went bright red - partly through anger, I suppose, but mostly because his bollocks were being scolded by 16 floz of red hot Americano.

I managed to contain myself but my son - being only 7 - had no such 'filter' and proceeded to burst out laughing, which didn't really help the situation. Even to this day, whenever Man City are on telly he says to me, "Daddy - do you remember the man at Wembley with the burnt willy?" And long man it be so.

Any others? Must be loads?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Circa 1989...Man City at the Goldstone. It was during the time of the inflatables. One of the Man City fans (who were in the north east corner by the floodlight) had a huge pair of inflatable lips. Every time he moved, they bounced up and down like they were laughing. The whole north stand was in hysterics. Might of been the same game as the Keith Cuss incident.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
One of my fondest memories is one of the first games I ever went to as an adolescent at the withdean, and one of my friends pointed out the legend that was Krispies mentioning he was our spiritual leader or something - later on during the game, I think a drab 0-0 on 80 minutes, Krispies reveals a medical tourniquet around his arm and begins a chorus of ‘Shooting up my lord, shooting up’ - I’d never laughed so hard in my life - I didn’t go very often, so apologies if this was a regular occurrence to all you die hards! ����

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The only grey area is the game, gonna say Farrington 4 - 0 Newcastle.

An away fan rocks up at the Goldstone - so far so good.
Fella in question was a behemoth.
Inexplicably the fella chose to wear a bright orange coat.

Oh what fun we had...

...body shaming that fatty fatty boom boom.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Euro '96 at Wembley, England v Germany.

We were in the section next to the German fans. a few rows in front of us was Johnny PFC Westwood (Pompey tw@t with the bell).
He started waving with both arms to hundreds of Germans who then started waving back.
At which point Westwood with two clenched fists next to each other then produced a simulated machine gun attack on the Germans with the matching sound effects.
Although the bloke is a tw@t it was a laugh out loud moment seeing how much it wound up the Germans.
The police duly arrived and gave him a warning telling him to stop or be ejected.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Little Nige doing a Klinsman dive in front of the north. Priceless! Passed into Legend now. You can’t buy that sort of fame.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Way way back I remember pulling this glorious filly on the train on the way back from Walsall.

Many happy moments, came back from Bournemouth away and somehow ended up playing five a side in Littlehampton to about midnight or something daft with a load of Albion fans.

Got chased by a load of Bristol Rovers fans and dived over a fence and promptly landed into a load of nettles, luckily escaped.

It has been fun supporting the Albion many great memories.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Way way back I remember pulling this glorious filly on the train on the way back from Walsall.

Many happy moments, came back from Bournemouth away and somehow ended up playing five a side in Littlehampton to about midnight or something daft with a load of Albion fans.

Got chased by a load of Bristol Rovers fans and dived over a fence and promptly landed into a load of nettles, luckily escaped.

That's triggered a couple of memories:

1) On the way back from somewhere in the North West one of our mates who didn't exactly lack confidence pulled some girl on the train who got on at Milton Keynes and was not seen again that night. In between then and the next away we found out she was called "Roxanne". The next away was Newcastle. Walked into the boozer up there just after opening time and someone puts "Roxanne" by The Police straight onto the jukebox.

2) Coming back from Bristol City we caught a little two car chug chug at Temple Meads. It stopped in the middle of nowhere and someone spotted a country pub and we all piled out. The station didn't have another train stopping there again that night and the pub was far too posh for us. It was also next to the River Avon and Kennet and Avon canal and we were politely asked to leave when one of our number picked a couple of apples off a tree and luzzed them into the river, only to find there were blokes fishing down there who thought we were attacking them.

We went for a nice long walk along the riverbank and reached Bradford Upon Avon where we were met by a mob of lads waiting for a similar sized gang from Bath. They briefly thought we were them which created "a fair bit of tension" until we saw the station. Legged it and literally 30 seconds later in pulls a train to Pompey. On to that, change at Portsmouth and Southsea, home just before midnight. All without a single smart phone or time table.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Got chased by a load of Bristol Rovers fans and dived over a fence and promptly landed into a load of nettles, luckily escaped

C2248693-6032-4ED3-890A-5447369CB28D.jpeg

:) An old Bristol / West Country saying.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Gillingham away post Priestfield home era

Fat Teenager in the home end giving us the usual homophobic gestures.

Suddenly both stands go absolutely silent, someone in the Albion end shouts out in a bellowing voice

“What are you going on about, you look like Rik Waller”

Rik starts the cut throat gestures to be met with an instant return of “Rik Waller, your just a fat Rik Waller”

Rik gets upset and tries to be seen as being held back whilst bouncing on the spot. His father (I assume) starts laughing about the chant and Rik ends up hitting his father.

Couldn’t tell you the score or anything about the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The only grey area is the game, gonna say Farrington 4 - 0 Newcastle.

An away fan rocks up at the Goldstone - so far so good.
Fella in question was a behemoth.
Inexplicably the fella chose to wear a bright orange coat.

Oh what fun we had...

...body shaming that fatty fatty boom boom.
Brian Wade game.....Brian Wade 4-2 Newcastle?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bristol City 1995. family section next door to the Albion fans. Presenter decides to play some 70s music. How about Smokie and 'Alice'.

Oh dear, he put on the more recent version and took a little while to realise....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Final.PNG

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

'89? I remember BR fans getting over excited only losing 2-1, we were walking down GOldstone LAne and people in front of us started running, I looked over my shoulder and there were quite a few of them running to congratulate us. A brick and a traffic cone flew over my head. I've never been a fast runner, but I did put my foot down then.

Burger van was ace.

Changing trains on the way home from Hereford, sprinting to a off license and back . . . .literally jumping on a moving train

Getting so pissed at Peterborough and singing Cheer up Barry Fry, that I lost the records I'd bought in the morning . . . . Why the hell we went record shopping on an away day piss up I don't know

Brizzl rowvers away rings a bell too, a game at a rugby ground outside Bath, ;93? Brilliant weekend in Bristol, hazy.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Having a picnic on the grass terracing in the sun at the Shay in Halifax while watching the game, sometime in late 1980s.

Standing on the away end at Oldham which had no roof at the time, watching a huge black weather front with freezing gale force winds, black clouds, rain, hail and snow all at the same time coming straight at us across the Pennines. There was no escape.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Having a picnic on the grass terracing in the sun at the Shay in Halifax while watching the game, sometime in late 1980s.

Standing on the away end at Oldham which had no roof at the time, watching a huge black weather front with freezing gale force winds, black clouds, rain, hail and snow all at the same time coming straight at us across the Pennines. There was no escape.

Was that when we got walloped 6-1 with Andy Ritchie enjoying our leaky defence?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Brentford away taking pee out of fat steward after being three down in opening 15 thanks to Glen thingy in our defence especially.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here