Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton mother leaves her baby alone for 6 days

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
An 18 year old woman with a young baby living in sheltered accommodation in Brighton , walked out for 6 days whilst she went partying . Returned home and found the baby dead . What was she expecting , her child to make its own breakfast , lunch and dinner !

What is wrong with people nowadays !!

The only facts I picked out for was she was living in a sheltered housing block with a young baby - does that not make her higher risk of having ‘ problems ‘ ie drugs or other issues

The father is not known ( what a surprise)

Terrible story

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I know it was not as long but my birth giver packed her shit up, took the dog, got someone to take the picket fence down in the front garden and left me in a cot at the age of 6 months old, my dad worked two jobs and went straight to his second job at Shoreham Yacht club bar and did not get home until gone 11pm to find me and her gone.

I figure she had postnatal depression and a new boyfriend so was pretty messed up, but unforgivable in my book.

This young girl sounds a similar age to my birth giver (she was never or has been a mum) and probably from a troubled back ground possibly suffering from postnatal depression coupled with drugs and that is a very dangerous combination, sad.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I don't know any of the details, and as a parent, I'm not sure I want to read them.

But my thoughts also went to the other person/people potentially damaged here, beyond the *really* obvious one!

Imagine you were a teen/20-something lad who thought he'd pulled and had the girl stay over for days, partying etc... To then find out that you were unwittingly a significant party in the death of a helpless child, just because the neglectful mother was staying with you.

Maybe no one was put in that situation (like I say I can't bring myself to read the details) but the circle of destruction left by such an act would be wider than just the victim.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I know it was not as long but my birth giver packed her shit up, took the dog, got someone to take the picket fence down in the front garden and left me in a cot at the age of 6 months old, my dad worked two jobs and went straight to his second job at Shoreham Yacht club bar and did not get home until gone 11pm to find me and her gone.

I figure she had postnatal depression and a new boyfriend so was pretty messed up, but unforgivable in my book.

This young girl sounds a similar age to my birth giver (she was never or has been a mum) and probably from a troubled back ground possibly suffering from postnatal depression coupled with drugs and that is a very dangerous combination, sad.

My God, you poor sod, how awful. I agree totally, the combination of mental health, post natal depression and drugs can tip anyone in to bizarre and extreme behaviour, even overcoming the mother-child bond.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I really hope the sentence reflects how horrific this crime is. Too often our courts pass ridiculously short sentences for murder. If I were the judge this would be a whole life order end of story. She should never see the light of day again.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
An 18 year old woman with a young baby living in sheltered accommodation in Brighton , walked out for 6 days whilst she went partying . Returned home and found the baby dead . What was she expecting , her child to make its own breakfast , lunch and dinner !

What is wrong with people nowadays !!

The only facts I picked out for was she was living in a sheltered housing block with a young baby - does that not make her higher risk of having ‘ problems ‘ ie drugs or other issues

The father is not known ( what a surprise)

Terrible story

Terrible story and (if true) mother.

But nothing to do with blaming an entire generation “nowadays”. There has always been evil and wrongdoing contemptuous behaviour through the decades.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Iirc people were jumping to the defence of the guy who stabbed the RSCH worker on a thead last week as he had mental health difficulties, how do we know this young lady wasn’t suffering?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Does this need to be on this forum? What's the benefit in highlighting such a story?

No offence meant to the OP but I certainly didn't need to read a thread with this title this afternoon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OP is on my ignore list. Can't recall why. Can stay there.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Iirc people were jumping to the defence of the guy who stabbed the RSCH worker on a thead last week as he had mental health difficulties, how do we know this young lady wasn’t suffering?

Any chance of letting us know the day when you will finally disappear up your own backside so we can all ring it on our calendars? FFS stop trying to point score all the time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does this need to be on this forum? What's the benefit in highlighting such a story?

No offence meant to the OP but I certainly didn't need to read a thread with this title this afternoon.

I do very much agree.

But there are some replies that, despite the OP's best efforts, do reflect an acknowledgement that other 'forces' may well be in play in order for such a horrific incident to happen.

There was a time when 'hang'm high' would have been the only (albeit with a degree of understanding) response.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Same here. And I'm not convinced it's a random news pick either, given the Op's slant on a few things.

I actually want to go and have a good cry right now. It happened just round the corner from me and I would have been at home when she left. It leaves me wishing I could go back and get some magical sign.

It's really upset me this one, and the thinly veiled points that some might like to inject that feel like sharp stings as you read comments outwith here.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Assuming the mum in question had some sort of mental health problem as no sane person would do that. I've not read the story on this and really don't want to. Poor little kid.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As a new (and old) dad, this sort of things upsets me so much. As others have said the mother was clearly suffering mentally one way or other and I ask the question where was her support. It is easy to say throw the book at her, but where were her friends and family during this time? The care system? A neighbour? Anyone?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Then don't open it? Just a thought.

I'm constantly bemused by those who open and read a thread and are then outraged at what they read. It was made clear in the thread title what was being posted / discussed and if you find reading about such real-life issues distressing, then don't open them.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have now just read the actual report in the Argus and it is very upsetting that this can happen in "our world". I have an 8 month old child, and the thought of her being left for even a minute frightens me. 6 days? Horrific. The mother clearly needed help, was under social services and yet this happens. It is just wrong. a lot of responsibility has to fall on social services for the death of that poor child.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have now just read the actual report in the Argus and it is very upsetting that this can happen in "our world". I have an 8 month old child, and the thought of her being left for even a minute frightens me. 6 days? Horrific. The mother clearly needed help, was under social services and yet this happens. It is just wrong. a lot of responsibility has to fall on social services for the death of that poor child.

Yup.

From the report:

They lived at a mother and baby unit and Asiah was under a child protection plan - but there was no social worker assigned when she died.

Hmmm.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here