Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ferrari, with a spend equal to that of Mercedes and Red Bull, :cry:

And the Ferrari of the young pretender Sainz overtaken by the Alpine of grandad Alonso. He will have enjoyed that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And the Ferrari of he young pretender Sainz overtaken by the Alpine of grandad Alonso. He will have enjoyed that.

I mentioned this before. A few seasons back, Sky F1 took time out with a gathering of respected F1 writers and ex-drivers. Asked about THE greatest driver in terms of sheer ability, they all said Hamilton and Alonso.

A shame that he was lured by the drivers graveyard of Ferrari at his peak.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Got to love Lewis, leading the race and asking if he should come in to change tyres and try for fastest lap.:lolol:

What a driver, put Bottas and Verstappen back in their boxes with two sublime overtakes to go from 3rd to 1st and totally dominate from then. GOAT

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I mentioned this before. A few seasons back, Sky F1 took time out with a gathering of respected F1 writers and ex-drivers. Asked about THE greatest driver in terms of sheer ability, they all said Hamilton and Alonso.

A shame that he was lured by the drivers graveyard of Ferrari at his peak.

Made terrible choices going to Ferrari and back to McLaren. Shame, in the right car he’d give Lewis as close a battle as Max imo...still

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Got to love Lewis, leading the race and asking if he should come in to change tyres and try for fastest lap.:lolol:

What a driver, put Bottas and Verstappen back in their boxes with two sublime overtakes to go from 3rd to 1st and totally dominate from then. GOAT

Rumours of The King’s decline and Red Bull’s new supremacy were a tad premature.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's had more poles than a Warsaw hooker.

Ton up for Lewis - superb!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Watching Perez under perform for Red Bull has got me thinking: is Bottas under rated?

He's clealry not as good as Lewis but he manages to be in the equation most qualifying and races. The same can't be said for the second driver at Red Bull. Perez is getting comfortably out performed by Verstappen as did Albon and Gasly. All three looked very good drivers in different cars.

So, are Red Bull all about Verstappen to the clear detriment of talented second drivers or is Bottas actually a little better than he's given credit for?

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
So, are Red Bull all about Verstappen to the clear detriment of talented second drivers or is Bottas actually a little better than he's given credit for?

Yes, by a country mile that car is built around Max, I can only assume they went with Perez in the hope that his experience would mean he'd get more out of a car that's not suited to him than a relative rookie that normally occupies the 2nd seat. RB very much operate a lead driver/wingman set up and have done ever since Vettel's days.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
gilles-villeneuve-s-legacy-lives-on-in-modena-1477100212031.jpg

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Watching Perez under perform for Red Bull has got me thinking: is Bottas under rated?

He's clealry not as good as Lewis but he manages to be in the equation most qualifying and races. The same can't be said for the second driver at Red Bull. Perez is getting comfortably out performed by Verstappen as did Albon and Gasly. All three looked very good drivers in different cars.

Bottas is very underrated imo. He’s constantly up there in top 3 and often quicker than Hamilton. Of course though any driver who’s in the same team as Hamilton has a mountain to climb.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brilliant by Mercedes.

A two rather than one stop strategy, Hamilton hunted Verstappen down, overtaking him with 6 laps to go. On a notoriously hard track to overtake for similarly strong cars/drivers.

The Sky F1 team talking crap throughout ... ten minutes ago calculating that Hamilton would only catch up on the final and making a huge thing of Bottas not rolling over to Hamilton a few laps before the overtake.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
He’s done alright, helped by being born into wealth and privilege.

Joking aside, what many people don’t see (or just a few with blinkers) is the lap times he hits lap after lap, often unseen when he needs to make a strategy work, when the difference between it working or not is hitting a delta for 10laps and he so often does it. Makes it look easy, but far from it. Red Bull fastest lap, Max well out ahead of Bottas. LH & MV are a class apart.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Joking aside, what many people don’t see (or just a few with blinkers) is the lap times he hits lap after lap, often unseen when he needs to make a strategy work, when the difference between it working or not is hitting a delta for 10laps and he so often does it. Makes it look easy, but far from it. Red Bull fastest lap, Max well out ahead of Bottas. LH & MV are a class apart.

Totally agree, the sheer mental and physical concentration, never taking a breather.

It was something I noticed today in that final hunting down. Sky’s computer and the commentary duo kept banging on about him catching up on the final lap, instead it was patently obvious in basic maths that he was cutting the lead it seemed by about 1.5 seconds a lap.

When Lewis retires, I’ve always thought that I’ll support Verstappen. I like the Dutch and him, his passion.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Totally agree, the sheer mental and physical concentration, never taking a breather.

It was something I noticed today in that final hunting down. Sky’s computer and the commentary duo kept banging on about him catching up on the final lap, instead it was patently obvious in basic maths that he was cutting the lead it seemed by about 1.5 seconds a lap.

When Lewis retires, I’ve always thought that I’ll support Verstappen. I like the Dutch and him, his passion.

Yep, the arguments of LH being GOAT or not don’t reduce or lesson what a fantastic driver Max is. Bottas and Perez are both very capable drivers with great experience in F1. But they are nowhere in comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here