Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
First race is in Bahrain on Sunday

Anyone else glad to see it back?

Could be an interesting season. Max to genuinely challenge for the title? Ricciardo to be in the mix? Alonso to struggle or shine. Schumacher to be any good? So many questions.

All should become a little clearer after the first race but it seems Red Bull will be the team to beat....

Look forward to the posts from the haters - “watching the M25 from a bridge” comparisons. Don’t let me down :smile:

scooter1

How soon is now?
Used to watch F1 but then it became a bit of a procession. I'll watch the first race and see if the enthusiasm is there to watch the next one. As we move out of lock down and the weather gets better, i'd rather be outside on a(hopefully) sunny Sunday afternoon.
There certainly isn't enough desire to record a race

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Used to be a fan but fell out of love as it got *very* dull and processional.

Will admit that I have an irrational dislike of Hamilton... just rubs me up the wrong way, so recent years have been annoying.

However, just watched season 3 of the netflix F1 series (Drive to Survive?) and it has rekindled an interest again.... sure to disappear as soon as the smug tw@t wins a race though!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Used to watch F1 but then it became a bit of a procession. I'll watch the first race and see if the enthusiasm is there to watch the next one. As we move out of lock down and the weather gets better, i'd rather be outside on a(hopefully) sunny Sunday afternoon.

Highlights is probably the way to go then? Channel 4 have the contract again.

I am intrigued to see if Perez has enough to challenge Max. He is so cool headed that I think he may pick up plenty of points, if the car is reliable, as Max turns into Mad Max if he is in a quicker or comparable car to Lewis, and takes foolhardy risks. Perez seems to be more sympathetic to his tyres than anyone other than Hamilton

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
The new reduction in downforce has suited the Red Bulls more than the Mercs with the higher rake car. The Alpha Tauri’s look solid as well. Should be good close first race.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I prefer watching old cars slide around, But bormua 1 is about as good as it gets at the moment, I'll watch the start, but only get drawn in at proper race circuits so will have to wait until mid April

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think it has always been a bit of a procession hasn't it? We remember the great races or years and battles from the past, but we don't remember all the boring bits. The Prost / Senna battles were memorable, but McClaren dominated for a good period making many of the races pretty dull. Then Ferrari through the 1990s - there was a time when the leader would finish 40 or 50secs in the lead.

Think there is a romance about the sport that makes as think there was a previous golden era of F1 racing, but I think the fact it is a battle of technology as much as driving has always made it end up with accusations of being a procession. I love it mind you, but I kind of tune in to fall asleep on a Sunday afternoon anyway and always have done. :lolol:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Very happy its back. There were some cracking races last season so hopefully we'll have some more of that this season especially as the merc no longer looks as dominant...although appreciate thats only after 3 days practice and one FP session.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
People need to learn how to watch racing in my opinion. I don't think it's a procession, there are lots of great battles all over the track, especially in the midfield... just not at the front.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Excited.

I don't mind Lewis and Hamilton dominating again. I love seeing excellence.

If Mercedes have a sluggish first couple of races, that's happened before and means little in terms of the entire season.

If he’s now allowed to drive two cars that’s just ridiculous. Total joke. F1 needs to sort its shit out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
The latest Netflix F1 drive to survive went up a notch in production value and story telling. Had some feels to it too.

Just feel very 'meh' about F1 at the moment. Will catch the highlights at some point but not fussed. As long as Max Verstappen doesn't win and Horner is pissed off, I think I'll be okay with the result.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, I'm looking forward to the first race, and I'm hoping the other teams have closed the gap on Mercedes.

With Verstappen and Leclerc one year older, with George Russell breathing down Bottas' neck, Perez in a competitive car and Lewis having broken virtually every record in the book you feel as though 2021 will be a much more competitive season in and around the podium places.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think it has always been a bit of a procession hasn't it? We remember the great races or years and battles from the past, but we don't remember all the boring bits. The Prost / Senna battles were memorable, but McClaren dominated for a good period making many of the races pretty dull. Then Ferrari through the 1990s - there was a time when the leader would finish 40 or 50secs in the lead.

Think there is a romance about the sport that makes as think there was a previous golden era of F1 racing, but I think the fact it is a battle of technology as much as driving has always made it end up with accusations of being a procession. I love it mind you, but I kind of tune in to fall asleep on a Sunday afternoon anyway and always have done. :lolol:

Maybe it is romanticism/mis-remembering but up to the late 90s I recall drivers improved their race position on the corners and straights, from the early 00s they did it in the pit lane. That was when I fell out of love.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe it is romanticism/mis-remembering but up to the late 90s I recall drivers improved their race position on the corners and straights, from the early 00s they did it in the pit lane. That was when I fell out of love.

There was plenty of on track overtaking last year

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Up front it has been rather predictable. Behind that the racing has been excellent. The midfield teams all started to get very close to each other making some great battles between some brilliant up and coming drivers.

As with any major rule change, it could throw the races wide open, or one particular teams makes a huge technological leap. Looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member 2719

It would be much better if Hamilton was handicapped by sticking him in a slower car.

I could see the steam coming from his ears now.:lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It would be much better if Hamilton was handicapped by sticking him in a slower car.

I could see the steam coming from his ears now.:lolol:

Let it go PLEASE, not another season of the vendetta FFS :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here