Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Claims Chris Wilder demanded £4million pay off from Sheffield Utd

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Blades Owner Prince Abdullah making the allegations in a couple of national newspapers this morning.

Be interested to see Wilder’s response, it’s a lot of money to ask for whilst effectively having failed at your job, and there might a danger of not only pissing off the United faithful but acting as a red flag for any future employer?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Depends what his contract said doesn’t it? Sheffield United only got to and stayed in the PL because of Wilder imo.

Makes you realise what a classy set up we have here, NOTHING gets washed in public at the Albion these days.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I saw Prince Abdullah on Sky making his allegations. Let's just say that personally I wouldn't believe a word he said and I am so glad we have Tony Bloom.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I think it depends how you define ‘failure’. He took them on as a floundering League One side and took them all the way up to the Prem in consecutive seasons, where they had a terrific first season before things went tits up this time around.

In cold, hard financial terms the club has enjoyed well over £100m (possibly closer to £200m?) as a direct result of his work. Is a £4m golden goodbye all that scandalous?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it depends how you define ‘failure’. He took them on as a floundering League One side and took them all the way up to the Prem in consecutive seasons, where they had a terrific first season before things went tits up this time around.

In cold, hard financial terms the club has enjoyed well over £100m (possibly closer to £200m?) as a direct result of his work. Is a £4m golden goodbye all that scandalous?

This...probably about a year’s salary. How long had he been there ?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

It is if he signed a contract and the club didn't want him to resign.

Try telling your boss today that you're handing in your notice and would also like £100 000 for doing so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This.

In no way did Wilder "fail". Two promotions and a season where they were on the verge of Europe, making us look like mugs at The Amex in the process. And all that time a Blades fan who went to training on a Sheffield bus.

If I was a Blades fan I'd be annoyed with the Saudis.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Blades Owner Prince Abdullah making the allegations in a couple of national newspapers this morning.

Be interested to see Wilder’s response, it’s a lot of money to ask for whilst effectively having failed at your job, and there might a danger of not only pissing off the United faithful but acting as a red flag for any future employer?

What he achieved at Sheffield Utd was hardly a failure, they’d finished 11th in League one when he joined and he and he got them promoted as Champions in his first season, he then consolidated with a 10th place finish in the Championship before they got promoted as runners up the following season. A 9th place finish in their first season was beyond their wildest dreams (achieved with two players top goal scoring with just 6 goals) and enough to earn Wilder a contract until 2024.

This sounds like the club owner trying to bad mouth a manager who is still very popular with the Sheffield Utd fans, despite a poor season this season I don’t think there were many calls from their fans to have him sacked. Wilder strikes me as a decent bloke and if he did ask for that money it would have been something he was entitled to in his contract. There was a clear falling out though as I don’t think Wilder would have walked away from the club he loves otherwise.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I think the owner said it was 3yrs salary on Sky.

That makes sense - seeing as he had 3 years left on his contract, the starting position for negotiations around him leaving would be to pay up the remainder.

Not sure there's much of a story here to be honest, other than the owner trying to recover some face with the fans by trying to paint Wilder out to be a money grabber. It seems the OP has fallen for that hook, line & sinker.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I guess failure for the thread starter = not winning the premier league

Not at all, but the team are bottom of the League.

It’s always been part of footballs bubble away from the real world , that a manager at any level gets the sack for effectively not doing his job properly, yet more often than not another club comes along and gives the said manager the same type of job he got the sack for.

What other walk of life would that be the norm?

Correct me if I’m wrong but most Bank Managers down the years that got sacked by Lloyds didn’t immediately go and get a bank managers job with one of the other three banks?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given he was not really backed after a great season last season, all fair dos isn't it. The owner sounds like bit of a **** the few times I've heard him on TalkSport to. Talks a good story but not sure it matched up to the reality

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This.

In no way did Wilder "fail". Two promotions and a season where they were on the verge of Europe, making us look like mugs at The Amex in the process. And all that time a Blades fan who went to training on a Sheffield bus.

If I was a Blades fan I'd be annoyed with the Saudis.

£4m for makes us look like mugs.

I bet Roy can't wait to get himself in front of Prince Charming.

That said, despite the odd petulant post from those who mistakenly think 'we have a right to know' the classy way the club deals with issues is never more evident than when cack like this gets dredged up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not at all, but the team are bottom of the League.

It’s always been part of footballs bubble away from the real world , that a manager at any level gets the sack for effectively not doing his job properly, yet more often than not another club comes along and gives the said manager the same type of job he got the sack for.

What other walk of life would that be the norm?

Correct me if I’m wrong but most Bank Managers down the years that got sacked by Lloyds didn’t immediately go and get a bank managers job with one of the other three banks?

Do bank managers sign contracts for a year or two years with clauses, agreed at the time of signing?
You’re not comparing like with like.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Given he was not really backed after a great season last season, all fair dos isn't it. The owner sounds like bit of a **** the few times I've heard him on TalkSport to. Talks a good story but not sure it matched up to the reality

Didn't Wilder spend 53 million quid? Potter didn't spend anywhere near that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here