Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who are the true British geniuses? (and it's not 'genii' - I checked)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Inspired by the Alan Turing thread, who are the true British geniuses in their field throughout history?

For the purposes of this thread, 'genius' is defined as "an exceptionally intelligent person or one with exceptional skill in a particular area of activity."

So who qualifies, in the spheres of science, technology, the arts, academia, medicine, business, politics, sport or any other pursuit?

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Inspired by the Alan Turing thread, who are the true British geniuses in their field throughout history?

For the purposes of this thread, 'genius' is defined as "an exceptionally intelligent person or one with exceptional skill in a particular area of activity."

So who qualifies, in the spheres of science, technology, the arts, academia, medicine, business, politics, sport or any other pursuit?

Two nominations from me: Johnny Crumplin and Graham Potter

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
As a civil engineer I would say Joseph Bazalgette and Thomas Telford were better than IKB

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Ronnie

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Turing and George Boole.

Berners Lee has to have a shout out, but not in the same breath as the above.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I nominate Johnny Crumplin.

Edit: Sorry, I second Johnny Crumplin

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Newton

are we nominate for a league to find the best?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Chain, Fleming & Florey - their pioneering work produced the first pure compound antibiotic.

Countless millions of lives saved, average life expectancy extended, as a result.

[Awaiting @HWT to dismiss this as all in day’s work for scientists).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Sir Christopher Wren deserves a mention.

How the **** you can build something like St Paul’s Cathedral without a computer is utterly beyond me.

In fact how you can build something like St Paul’s Cathedral with a computer is still utterly beyond me.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I do that ALL the time. No idea why. Before you posted, I went back and corrected my posts :)

I do a bit of SQL database training every now and then and a common word is "COUNT"

And yes, I often drop the O.

Fair enough Clappers :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd nominate Charles Babbage, seen by many as the father of the computer, the device that dominates our everyday lives.

Second nomination would be also be for Darwin who put a massive spanner in the religious doctrines that had dominated thinking for eons. Possibly not the start but most definitely the sledgehammer that started to put science ahead of myths!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here