Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Gun control in the UK

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This month is the 25th anniversary of the Dunblane massacre that resulted in a new wave of Gun control across the UK.

One year after the massacre, a British journalist wrote the following

“Nanny is confiscating their toys”

“The men – and they are virtually all men – come in two at a time. They have aluminium suitcases, safes, plastic bags and set expressions. Nanny is confiscating their toys. It is like one of those vast Indian programmes of compulsory vasectomy. It is as if the state had decided to round up all the model train sets or the stamp collections, an operation causing immense distress to thousands of innocent enthusiasts, and just about as pointless.

Thanks to a sweeping ban on handguns introduced here in the wake of the Dunblane, Scotland, massacre of school children last year, law-abiding gun-owners are now handing over their weapons here at a rate of 50 to 60 a day. An entire pastime will have been exterminated. Britain will be the only country in the world where it is forbidden to practise for an Olympic sport. The British taxpayers will have to cough up about one billion pounds in compensation; and still the shooters will receive 25 per cent less than the full value of any improvements to their weapons.

It is no use the shooters protesting that this will do nothing about the myriad of illegal weapons, or legal shotguns; or that the existing law should have ensured that guns were taken away from Thomas Hamilton, the loner who killed 16 small children in a moment of madness at Dunblane last March. The owners of all the 160,000 handguns are penalized for the dementia of a couple of their number, and because no one, in the current climate, dare speak for them.

Any guesses to the journalist ?

SAC

May 21, 2014
This came up again during the election but still people voted for the ****.

I seem to remember Phil the Greek said that guns were just as dangerous as cricket bats (or something similar).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hang on chaps

Name the "journalist" clearly a trick question.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This month is the 25th anniversary of the Dunblane massacre that resulted in a new wave of Gun control across the UK.

One year after the massacre, a British journalist wrote the following

“Nanny is confiscating their toys”

“The men – and they are virtually all men – come in two at a time. They have aluminium suitcases, safes, plastic bags and set expressions. Nanny is confiscating their toys. It is like one of those vast Indian programmes of compulsory vasectomy. It is as if the state had decided to round up all the model train sets or the stamp collections, an operation causing immense distress to thousands of innocent enthusiasts, and just about as pointless.

Thanks to a sweeping ban on handguns introduced here in the wake of the Dunblane, Scotland, massacre of school children last year, law-abiding gun-owners are now handing over their weapons here at a rate of 50 to 60 a day. An entire pastime will have been exterminated. Britain will be the only country in the world where it is forbidden to practise for an Olympic sport. The British taxpayers will have to cough up about one billion pounds in compensation; and still the shooters will receive 25 per cent less than the full value of any improvements to their weapons.

It is no use the shooters protesting that this will do nothing about the myriad of illegal weapons, or legal shotguns; or that the existing law should have ensured that guns were taken away from Thomas Hamilton, the loner who killed 16 small children in a moment of madness at Dunblane last March. The owners of all the 160,000 handguns are penalized for the dementia of a couple of their number, and because no one, in the current climate, dare speak for them.

Any guesses to the journalist ?

Go on surprise us...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Meanwhile, in America there are 400, million firearms in civilian hands. The entire American law agencies has about 1 million firearms, and the US military have approx 4.5 million firearms.

Worldwide,law enforcement agencies hold approx. 22.5 million firearms.
America has a population of approx 330 million.
Overkill in more ways than one.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not defending it because it's an awful piece of journalism (and particularly disrespectful), but that was his style at the time

Light a fuse, run away and hide behind the bicycle sheds giggling.

Fortunately (or equally unfortunately) you couldn't glean his personal viewpoint from what he wrote.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think it's outrageous to take that viewpoint, especially at that time. And the OP is very anti-Tory (which I am mostly) but it seals a desire to make a point.

I'm not sure that banning legally held guns which were owned under tight legislation has prevented massacres. He is also right about the illegal trade.

So I'm presenting my view as it not being an unreasonable article. Conversely, I think he is wrong overall though. The less guns we have here the better. It shouldn't be encouraged.

I think the the main reason we have so little gun crime is how hard they are to get hold of. But much of that will be because importing is harder as we are an island. If we had been in the centre of Europe there would still be a problem.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Nope

Sorry wrong again

Absolutely correct.

Your winner's prize is in the post and you will get it in the next 3 days to 6 months time, once you've paid the import tax, VAT and handling charges

Apparently, he's not a journalist anymore, he negotiates things these days :wink:

No surprise it’s old c**tchops.

I put myself through a Dunblame documentary on the BBC a few weeks ago, I wish I hadn’t. The level of evil displayed on that day is comparable with any in the whole of human history. The only positive was the banning of guns following this outrage, much to annoyance of old c**tchops. With him in charge the law would not have changed and we’d have a history or massacres similar to (but nowhere near the scale of) the USA, he’s still managed to make his mark with excess deaths in this pandemic due to his selfish cowardly libertarianism that delayed 3 lockdowns killing tens of thousands of extra people who may have survived if he’d been more decisive and had the capacity to learn his lessons.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't think it's outrageous to take that viewpoint, especially at that time. And the OP is very anti-Tory (which I am mostly) but it seals a desire to make a point.

I'm not sure that banning legally held guns which were owned under tight legislation has prevented massacres. He is also right about the illegal trade.

So I'm presenting my view as it not being an unreasonable article. Conversely, I think he is wrong overall though. The less guns we have here the better. It shouldn't be encouraged.

I think the the main reason we have so little gun crime is how hard they are to get hold of. But much of that will be because importing is harder as we are an island. If we had been in the centre of Europe there would still be a problem.

Thing with Johnson was that probably wasn't his view point at all. Would have simply written something inflammatory hedging his bets it would upset slightly less people that those who would applaud it.

Natural populist and self promotor with someone else's credit cards. I've never been convinced he has an actual political position on anything.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thing with Johnson was that probably wasn't his view point at all. Would have simply written something inflammatory hedging his bets it would upset slightly less people that those who would applaud it.

Natural populist and self promotor with someone else's credit cards. I've never been convinced he has an actual political position on anything.

Having watched his political career unfold, I can't disagree with anything you say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here