Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] After 123 years Sutton United could be joining the Football League

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Watched them against Simon Rusks Stockport about a week ago, would be very surprised if they dont win the league. Looked class and as if they would already be fine playing in League 2.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Have seen Sutton quite a few times over the years and love to see them do well. Suburban South London is poorly represented by league clubs so would be great to them in the football league.

Gander Green Lane whilst having its charms is quite a poor stadium IMO, be interesting to see how or if they develop should they go up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Watched them against Simon Rusks Stockport about a week ago, would be very surprised if they dont win the league. Looked class and as if they would already be fine playing in League 2.

I think you will find though, that the Sutton United who play in the Football League, will have to be a very different beast to the one we are currently see in the National League.

For starters, their players will need to go from a part time status to playing full time, and presumably their state of the art 3G plastic pitch will have to be ripped up, in favour of a grass surface, as artificial turf isn't permissable as a playing surface in the Football League.

How many of their current playing staff will, a) be good enough to make the step u, and b) will want to, bearing in mind they may already be earning good money doing second jobs, that they will beed to give up.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Being born in Sutton, I always have an eye on their results, really glad they're doing well. My Dad took me to watch the FA Cup tie after their Coventry win, it was away to Norwich, think they got thrashed 7-0 if memory serves.. it may have been by more though.

EDIT: 8-0

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
With former Worthing FC favourite Omar Bugiel as their #9

And more relevant to Albion: with former scholar and young professional David Ajiboye, and former U-16 player, Australian Callum Kealy.

Goalkeeper Brad House came up through the WBA youth system, but was born in Worthing. Adam Lovatt came up initially with Eastbourne Borough and then spent three seasons at Hastings United.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Being born in Sutton, I always have an eye on their results, really glad they're doing well. My Dad took me to watch the FA Cup tie after their Coventry win, it was away to Norwich, think they got thrashed 7-0 if memory serves.. it may have been by more though.

EDIT: 8-0

Always remember the Sutton win got a huge amount of coverage coming only a couple of seasons after Coventry won the FA Cup. Future Albion captain Paul Rogers was part of that Sutton team. They always seemed to be good value for knocking out a league side in the cup in the 80's. Would be great to see them finally get into the Football League.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's a shame that three don't come up. The conference really is the fifth division.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think you will find though, that the Sutton United who play in the Football League, will have to be a very different beast to the one we are currently see in the National League.

For starters, their players will need to go from a part time status to playing full time, and presumably their state of the art 3G plastic pitch will have to be ripped up, in favour of a grass surface, as artificial turf isn't permissable as a playing surface in the Football League.

How many of their current playing staff will, a) be good enough to make the step u, and b) will want to, bearing in mind they may already be earning good money doing second jobs, that they will beed to give up.

As most National League teams these days are fully professional it is indeed a bit of a different situation for them, but worked out well last time a part-time team (Burton if I'm not mistaken) got promoted.

Football wise I dont think the difference is all that big though.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
For starters, their players will need to go from a part time status to playing full time,

Thought all the teams in the National League are already full time these days? There's certainly a few in National League South that were full time before the pandemic hit.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Born and lives close to Sutton. Supports his local club. How does that not apply?

I believe the suggestion is that Tim Vine isn't a celebrity...

It is certainly a loose term these days.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree.

But what has that got to do with Tim Vine?

Ironically, Tim Vine wrote a joke about a fat badger, but he had to leave it out.

He couldn't fit it into his sett.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here