Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Time to boycott the world cup in Qatar...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
With 6,500 migrant workers sadly losing their lives in Qatar ever since World Cup was criminally awarded.
Sepp Blatter has had his ban in football extended a further six years, cementing the accusations of the world cup being fraudulently being awarded to Qatar.
During this pandemic work has continued in Qatar getting ready for the world cup, putting the lives of desperate migrant workers lives further at risk.
Surely the footballing world, fans, clubs, countries, governments should stand united and say....

No we will not send a team.
No we will not travel as fans.
No we will not watch on tv.
No we will not advertise.
No we will not be part of this murderous event held in the name of people of the world.

It is disgusting in this day and age, so many are turning a blind eye.

I for one will not watch it, will you ?
What can be done ?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...37 deaths,by the event's organising committee.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm going to watch it.

I'm horrified by the treatment of migrant workers and by the nations human rights record generally.

But I was also horrified by Russia shooting down that passenger airline and the invasions of Crimea and Ukraine and many of the other horrible things which have blatantly eminated from the Kremlin and I still watched and enjoyed the Russia World Cup.

It's not a position i'm proud of. But a lot of sport watching today requires me to hold my nose.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
With 6,500 migrant workers sadly losing their lives in Qatar ever since World Cup was criminally awarded.
Sepp Blatter has had his ban in football extended a further six years, cementing the accusations of the world cup being fraudulently being awarded to Qatar.
During this pandemic work has continued in Qatar getting ready for the world cup, putting the lives of desperate migrant workers lives further at risk.
Surely the footballing world, fans, clubs, countries, governments should stand united and say....

No we will not be part of this murderous event held in the name of people of the world.

What can be done ?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...37 deaths,by the event's organising committee.

As well as their archaic and backwards religious laws in the middle east. Join the 21st century regarding human rights!

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

What can be done ?

Agreed
Every word.
Disgusting regime awarded the cup by a disgusting organisation.
Don't want anything to do with it.
If it takes place I hope it's a bloody disaster

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The moment they got the WC International football for me was no longer the pinnacle. A ridiculous decision from a broken organisation

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I hope some of the big countries like Spain, Germany and Brazil decide to boycott and the entire
thing is a farce.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

What can be done ?

Sadly big business will have its way, the corruption which gave a world football tournament to a country that has little connection to football, equality or democracy, will win as usual.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I hope some of the big countries like Spain, Germany and Brazil decide to boycott and the entire
thing is a farce.

Their finances would take a calamitous loss should they do so.

The fact that they have entered qualifying suggests they won't

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
thing is a farce.

Countries boycotting the Qatar WC would have a major impact for sure. But, would probably have limited impact. In this social media age the biggest impact would be a concerted campaign against the major commercial sponsors of the thing shirley? These guys are very easily spooked nowadays

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As well as their archaic and backwards religious laws in the middle east. Join the 21st century regarding human rights!

Religion has little to do with them getting the world cup, and a topic that should not derail any serious conversation about it.
Human rights yes.

When did we become the overlords of the world and tell people how to behave and what laws they should follow?

It is not about being overlords and self righteous, it is about decencency, humanity and saying no to corruption, and what better platform than the most popular game in the world ?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I will follow England in this competition but Deep Down I agree with the opening post.
It should never have been granted to them . Everything is wrong, it has to be played at their winter . They only got it through bribery and corruption. That is different to other venues like Russia.
The human rights situation is deplorable and this involves the World Cup because of the migrants who suffered and some died building stadiums.
If we fail to qualify i’ll not be sorry and if it was boycotted, so be it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Countries boycotting the Qatar WC would have a major impact for sure. But, would probably have limited impact. In this social media age the biggest impact would be a concerted campaign against the major commercial sponsors of the thing shirley? These guys are very easily spooked nowadays

Yes I would favour the latter, cutting off the money supply. Hit them where it hurts

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sadly big business will have its way, the corruption which gave a world football tournament to a country that has little connection to football, equality or democracy, will win as usual.

Indeed, I know deep down your probably right and it will go ahead, I just find it sad, we as humans will just take this, migrants losing their lives may not be in America and being killed by a white policeman, but the cause is the same, in a way worse they are treated like slaves and treated like sub humans.

A few mummers from high profile players and managers might sway public opinion

https://youtu.be/XOpOvMdEdl4

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed
Every word.
Disgusting regime awarded the cup by a disgusting organisation.
Don't want anything to do with it.
If it takes place I hope it's a bloody disaster
Hear hear. I hope it falls on its ar$e in a welter of boycotts - sadly it won't. The Government should (morally) step in - but can you imagine the conversation?
British Government:"There will be no travel allowed to Qatar for UK citizens, be they footballers, supporters or TV crews, etc."
Qatar (and all its pals in the middle east): "You're not having any more oil, and we're not buying any more weapons."

thing is a farce.
So do I, but I can't see it happening, unfortunately. See above.

When did we become the overlords of the world and tell people how to behave and what laws they should follow?
Around 1840, for an informed guess, and for the following 100 years or so.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I will follow England in this competition but Deep Down I agree with the opening post.
It should never have been granted to them . Everything is wrong, it has to be played at their winter . They only got it through bribery and corruption. That is different to other venues like Russia.
The human rights situation is deplorable and this involves the World Cup because of the migrants who suffered and some died building stadiums.
If we fail to qualify i’ll not be sorry and if it was boycotted, so be it.

Yes I agree,but I would like to see us work hard to qualify but knowing that once we have qualified we will then be boycotting the tournament.
That would be excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here