Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Rising from the rubble: London pub rebuilt brick by brick after illegal bulldozing

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Standing next to the rubble of the Carlton Tavern, its patrons thought that this was just another brazen example of developers skirting the law to turn their pub into profit.

Bulldozers had sheared away the wall of the 1920s west London pub, with its distinctive tiled signage, to reveal the fully stocked bar and darts trophies still on display.

But the Carlton’s story did not follow the usual plot, where the developer presents the fait accompli to the local authority and pays a fine before pressing ahead with the redevelopment and counting their profits.

Instead, after a dogged six-year campaign by locals, the Carlton Tavern will reopen next month – lockdown permitting – after the developers were ordered to rebuild the pub “brick by brick”, a ruling that pub campaigners say has set an extraordinary precedent.

carlton 1.jpgcarlton 2.jpgcarlton 3.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shame there isn't something similar that can be done to developers who accidentally cut down inconvenient ancient trees or are the beneficiaries of mystery fires in the general vicinity of their investment property

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Standing next to the rubble of the Carlton Tavern, its patrons thought that this was just another brazen example of developers skirting the law to turn their pub into profit.

Bulldozers had sheared away the wall of the 1920s west London pub, with its distinctive tiled signage, to reveal the fully stocked bar and darts trophies still on display.

But the Carlton’s story did not follow the usual plot, where the developer presents the fait accompli to the local authority and pays a fine before pressing ahead with the redevelopment and counting their profits.

Instead, after a dogged six-year campaign by locals, the Carlton Tavern will reopen next month – lockdown permitting – after the developers were ordered to rebuild the pub “brick by brick”, a ruling that pub campaigners say has set an extraordinary precedent.

View attachment 135210View attachment 135211View attachment 135212

THIS IS AMAZING! I have just moved to within five minutes of this and passed it the other day saying to my partner "that looks like it was a nice pub, shame they're knocking it down." What brilliant news!

el punal

Would the same rules apply if someone, ahem! accidentally, bulldozed Selhurst Park?

Whatever, this is a wonderful ending to a traumatic story. I vaguely remember the initial incident and I thought at the time - money grabbing, greedy, unscrupulous b******s.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
(worth linking to the webpage that you copied the story from before [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] gets in trouble?)

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reminiscent of what the council did to deter developers from just bulldozing the four iconic chimneys of Battersea Power Station. As a condition of the development they were made to take down and then fully rebuild ONE of the chimneys before doing anything with the other three

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the cellar ..... will be stocked by local London brewers including the Camden Town Brewery, Five Points from Hackney, the London Brewing Co, and Anspach & Hobday.

The new Carlton will focus more on food, although Rees fights shy of the word “gastropub”.

It seems like it’s turning into the sort of wanky pub I’d frequent; be careful what you wish for :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
....on a serious note this is truly brilliant news.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Sorry for going a bit OTT but i really wanted the yanks to rebuild the Twin Towers exactly the same only , one tower 9 story`s higher and the other 11 .

By the way the pub looks great , justice done .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here