Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Has anybody ever left a house or flat unoccupied for a year or more?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I have always previously rented out my property whilst working overseas. Recently I have had quite a bit of work done and although I have never really had any problems with tenants I am not sure this time if I want to rent it.

I was wondering if any one has done this themselves. I realise certain things like it would not be possible to get contents insurance for a prolonged absence (although they could be left in secure storage) but I wondered if there are companies who would provide some kind of monitoring service just to keep any eye on things whilst it is empty. I would intend to return once a year.

Would be grateful to hear anyone's experience of doing this.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
No I haven't and neither would I unless i could get a reliable security company to monitor the property. My late brother used to do 3 or 6 month stints in the Falklands servicing helicopters. He used Securicor guardian services and a local garden maintenance firm to keep the lawns mown. Long grass is a dead give away for empty property. The serious possible outcome is obviously the potential of squatters breaking in, squatters rights etc etc ad nauseum.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
No I haven't and neither would I unless i could get a reliable security company to monitor the property. My late brother used to do 3 or 6 month stints in the Falklands servicing helicopters. He used Securicor guardian services and a local garden maintenance firm to keep the lawns mown. Long grass is a dead give away for empty property. The serious possible outcome is obviously the potential of squatters breaking in, squatters rights etc etc ad nauseum.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Thanks Brian

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Squatters can't occupy domestic properties any more if it is a UK property so I would be more worried about burglary, vandals etc.

Don't you have to tell your building insurers (over 30 days?) as well as contents insurers?

Other worries are crap left sticking out of letterbox or piling up just inside and your bin not being out on bin day. All giveaway signs.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Squatters can't occupy domestic properties any more if it is a UK property so I would be more worried about burglary, vandals etc.

Don't you have to tell your building insurers (over 30 days?) as well as contents insurers?

Other worries are crap left sticking out of letterbox or piling up just inside and your bin not being out on bin day. All giveaway signs.

How about a service to tidy gardens remove mail etc and report any issues for a fee?

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?386781-A-business-idea

Some years ago we had a small house in Brittany which we rented out for holiday lets. we were very lucky to find an expat couple who lived nearby who looked after the place and dealt with handovers etc.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes. Concierge service, gardeners, good security and monitored alarms, window cleaner, and, ideally, a trustworthy neighbour. Bob’s your uncle.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This is the age of smart homes you can control lighting, heating, cctv etc all through your phone. Why pay someone to monitor when any movement on cctv will pop up on your phone screen.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I believe there are several regulars on here with various properties spread across the City and other parts of Europe, I’m sure they will be along soon to offer some help[emoji106]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yes, Yes you do.

Typically either cover or claims will be refused if you have left the property unoccupied for more than 40 days per annum or more than 30 days more than once a year. Less than 30 days is ok and unoccupancy exclusions will occur between 30 and 40 days once a year.

Theft claims can be a "buildings and contents" peril depending on how the scrotes got in.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
You may also be liable for council tax - not sure about your area but properties in Southampton get a month free if empty. After that it's the full whack.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
You may also be liable for council tax - not sure about your area but properties in Southampton get a month free if empty. After that it's the full whack.

And after two years empty you pay a premium (100% in Brighton) on top of normal council tax, to encourage houses to be used (seems a reasonable ambition).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Where abouts is it? Does it have a nice garden? My misses keeps saying we need to move to somewhere with a garden..

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Rental properties are in VERY short supply around here and monthly rents are at a premium so you might want to reconsider.

The flip side is that evictions are not being heard in court atm so landlords have no way of getting possession under any circumstances until that changes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here