Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] B&H city Downland estate plan

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Is anybody involved in this ?

Been reading through a few links etc, can't quite tell if it is a political movement, climate movement, planning for everyones future use or a general mismash

https://climateconversationsbrighton.uk.engagementhq.com/city-downland-estate-plan

Skimming through, looks like to turn the clock back 100years requires : (NOTE these are just general points and not agressive in anyway)

Buying back farmland
kicking old school farmers out for new organic, butterfly loving new model types
Slash and burn large areas of bramble covered land & continued manual land managment
Industrial level sheep grazing / all year round

who is going to help promote sussex lamb consumption to the levels to maintain 10k sheep - or a lot of jumpers

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
As the opening pages says, Brighton & Hove City Council owns 12,800 acres of open Downland.

Some of it is for crop farming, some of it for arable farming, some of it open downland, some of it meadow and so on.

The council simply wants input from the public as to how to use this downland more effectively and more appropriately in the future. Can't see anything particularly sinister about it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Is anybody involved in this ?

Been reading through a few links etc, can't quite tell if it is a political movement, climate movement, planning for everyones future use or a general mismash

https://climateconversationsbrighton.uk.engagementhq.com/city-downland-estate-plan

Skimming through, looks like to turn the clock back 100years requires : (NOTE these are just general points and not agressive in anyway)

Buying back farmland
kicking old school farmers out for new organic, butterfly loving new model types
Slash and burn large areas of bramble covered land & continued manual land managment
Industrial level sheep grazing / all year round

who is going to help promote sussex lamb consumption to the levels to maintain 10k sheep - or a lot of jumpers

I wish Horsham DC would buy the field outside my house back from the property developers who own and farm it. I like this thinking, although no doubt Horsham DC would still just build on it!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sounds like a recipe of contradiction, showing all the ideals of green lobby cant actually work together.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
as with Horsham, Adur has too much concrete already. fortunately we're surrounded by a natoinal park and thhe sea. there's no gaps left east or west.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As the opening pages says, Brighton & Hove City Council owns 12,800 acres of open Downland.

Some of it is for crop farming, some of it for arable farming, some of it open downland, some of it meadow and so on.

The council simply wants input from the public as to how to use this downland more effectively and more appropriately in the future. Can't see anything particularly sinister about it.

Local golf clubs are keeping an eye on this Alan as your beloved greenies think golf is an elitist sport and not for the likes of the proles

Some interesting comments on various sites about “; reclaiming the land for the people” going on!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Local golf clubs are keeping an eye on this Alan as your beloved greenies think golf is an elitist sport and not for the likes of the proles

Some interesting comments on various sites about “; reclaiming the land for the people” going on!

You mean like Waterhall and the proposal to do the same to Hollingbury ?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Sad fact is, more people used waterhall GC when it WAS a golf club - now it is used by professional dog walkers

re-wilding is not going to increase the use by brighton residents

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The irony being of course that by binning Waterhall, they've made that even more of an issue as it was the cheapest 18 hole course in the area and more used by those who couldn't afford private members clubs :shootself

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I wish Horsham DC would buy the field outside my house back from the property developers who own and farm it. I like this thinking, although no doubt Horsham DC would still just build on it!

Be careful what you wish for they own Rookwood Golf Course and they want to cover that in new housing. Between central government housing figures, the local council and building developers (shysters) we are screwed in Horsham.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I'm with you on that, the massive 3,500 homes Buck Barn development just along the road from me is a massive worry.

I know people need somewhere to live, but as ever the infrastructure just isn't there to support it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm with you on that, the massive 3,500 homes Buck Barn development just along the road from me is a massive worry.

I know people need somewhere to live, but as ever the infrastructure just isn't there to support it.

usually a development that size comes with infrastructure. its actually the councils responsibility. if we want homes nearby choices we have are redevelop existing land/buildings, many small developments, or a few large developments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here