Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Newcastle Conspiracy Theory

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
So I've been watching some Newcastle fan channels on youtube since we beat them and quite a few of them are suggesting the reason Mike Ashley isn't going to sack Steve Bruce is because he wants to get relegated.

The reasoning behind this being that the football league new owner checks are nowhere near as difficult to overcome as the premier league ones and that he may have done a side hustle with potential new owners.

Therefore he is in a win-win if they stay up he gets the premier league profits if they go down he can sell the club for what he wants with more ease.

Personally, think this is a bit far-fetched but interesting to say the least.

Also it's quite crazy that they are convinced they're going down. There's still realistically 5 teams ( including us ) who could still take that final spot and there's still enough time for a great escape for West Brom although very unlikely.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So I've been watching some Newcastle fan channels on youtube since we beat them and quite a few of them are suggesting the reason Mike Ashley isn't going to sack Steve Bruce is because he wants to get relegated.

The reasoning behind this being that the football league new owner checks are nowhere near as difficult to overcome as the premier league ones and that he may have done a side hustle with potential new owners.

Therefore he is in a win-win if they stay up he gets the premier league profits if they go down he can sell the club for what he wants with more ease.

Personally, think this is a bit far-fetched but interesting to say the least.

Also it's quite crazy that they are convinced they're going down. There's still realistically 5 teams ( including us ) who could still take that final spot and there's still enough time for a great escape for West Brom although very unlikely.

I certainly wouldn't rule anything out.

But here's a crazy idea – why not sell the club to someone who's NOT completely dodgy in the first place? Therefore, the club stays in the PL and he also gets shot of it. And surely he'd get more money for a Premier League club than a Football League one? Therefore, he's happy, supporters are happy and the players are happy :shrug:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I certainly wouldn't rule anything out.

But here's a crazy idea – why not sell the club to someone who's NOT completely dodgy in the first place? Therefore, the club stays in the PL and he also gets shot of it. And surely he'd get more money for a Premier League club than a Football League one? Therefore, he's happy, supporters are happy and the players are happy :shrug:

Perhaps because no SANE person or persons would want to buy a dead duck in the first place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd have thought the large flaw in that is the different valuation on Premier League vs Championship club.

i offer a simpler theory, Ashley doesn't want to pay out any compensation for sacking Bruce, let him walk instead.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
i'd have thought the large flaw in that is the different valuation on Premier League vs Championship club.

i offer a simpler theory, Ashley doesn't want to pay out any compensation for sacking Bruce, let him walk instead.

I can't see Steve Bruce leaving of his own accord, he is that rare thing in football, a manager who actually supports the club he is managing.

If they do go down l can see him wanting to stay, and attempt to bring the club straight back up.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
An alternative theory I've seen says that Bruce wants to lose badly to get the sack and rake in £4m or so. Otherwise he'd quit.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I do like their anthem though.

Oh yeah the first traditional version sums them up perfectly

here's a few of the choice bits, alluding to smoking, drinking, womanising and possibly drug taking

Come here, my little Jacky
Now I've smoked my backey
Let's have a bit crackey (Drugs ?)
Till the boat comes in

Our Tommy's always fuddling,
He's so fond of ale,
But he's kind to me,
I hope he'll never fail. (he will)

I like a drop mysel',
When I can get it sly, (Thieving scum)
And thou, my bonny bairn,
Will lik't as well as I (advocating underage drinking)

Some fecking anthem....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What sort of a football forum would have wacky conspiracy threads all over it ???

In their defence, I have to say I've had some good nights out in strange half naked towns where no one speaks English :eek:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yep. I can't see anyone paying £350m for a Championship club and am not wholly convinced that the FL is more amenable to dodgy owners than the PL is - having seen some of the owners in the PL who have passed muster.

(it should also be pointed out that the PL didn't block the takeover, the Saudis pulled out because of the time it was taking)

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
this is feasible... maybe the deal's already done that the saudis will pay full whack as long as they can buy it by the end of the year... which can only happen if they are in the championship...

their wealth far outstrips the Emiratis and Qataris who own city and PSG... if only someone on here was an expert in these things

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What sort of a football forum would have wacky conspiracy threads all over it ???

In their defence, I have to say I've had some good nights out in strange half naked towns where no one speaks English :eek:

Well Newcastle is a great party town it has to be said, used to really enjoy away weekends up there back in the day.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Another more believable theory is Newcastles players aren't very good and have no self belief that they will stay up .

From around the 70th minute they were simply going through the motions and are already on the beach in sunny Skegness.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Always remember on the way to Stoke with a car load we stopped off at a motorway station for Breakfast and some toon was travelling in the opposite direction started speaking to us. He advised he was travelling to Brighton for a trial, can't remember his name think it started with George. He went onto say he'd been stabbed the night b4 lower back and then proceeded to show us. Weird. Think at the time one of the guys checked him out and I believe he was signed on schoolboy terms

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here