Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Malta’s Eurovision Entry 2021

AndyH

Mar 10, 2012
Haha, yeah guilty as charged. Random I know, but with everything going on at the moment, a bit of light relief. :thumbsup:
Fav in the betting btw at 3/1

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Their 1998 entry was the best one of all. But Dana edged it.

Still not sure why Macedonia, the last country to vote, gave it no points. They gave 12 to Croatia, obviously.

I normally rally against conspiracy theories but Eurovision is a huge stitch up sometimes.

Be good to see [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] take on it.

As for this song, it is very targeted. Not for me, but it will do well.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Their 1998 entry was the best one of all. But Dana edged it.

Still not sure why Macedonia, the last country to vote, gave it no points. They gave 12 to Croatia, obviously.

I normally rally against conspiracy theories but Eurovision is a huge stitch up sometimes.

Be good to see [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] take on it.

As for this song, it is very targeted. Not for me, but it will do well.
Macedonia is full of Croats who vote for Croatia. Cyprus is full of Greeks who vote for Greece. That's how it works - not so much a stitch up, more an inevitable consequence of having a public vote.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Macedonia is full of Croats who vote for Croatia. Cyprus is full of Greeks who vote for Greece. That's how it works - not so much a stitch up, more an inevitable consequence of having a public vote.

Goes back before then though.

Although Eurovision was a lot more open before the Eastern Bloc came along.

The UK will never make the top 3 again.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Germany won it a year or two back. So it's not just about popularity.

UK has only made the top TEN twice in the last 20 years. Only finished above half way on three occasions. The last was 2011 (11th- possibly because Blue were the entry). It's very much about national popularity !

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
UK has only made the top TEN twice in the last 20 years. Only finished above half way on three occasions. The last was 2011 (11th- possibly because Blue were the entry). It's very much about national popularity !

Its also a lot to do about turning up with acts/music that people like, which is the main issue for the UK. I'm not a sucker for Eurovision in general but I know lots who is and none have ever said "wow, I really like the one from the UK".

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Its also a lot to do about turning up with acts/music that people like, which is the main issue for the UK. I'm not a sucker for Eurovision in general but I know lots who is and none have ever said "wow, I really like the one from the UK".

There is something in that, but if you look over the competition history you see a dramatic decline after 1998.

20 years to 1998- Top ten on 19 out of 20 occasions.
Since 1998- Twice.

If Charlotte Nilsson had sung 'Don't play that song again'....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The only way this will ever be a true talent contest is when the voting is "blind" [never gonna happen].

Anyways, I thought Brexit meant Brexit - such that we can stop having to pay for and be involved [usually as the laughing stock] of this façade

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The only way this will ever be a true talent contest is when the voting is "blind" [never gonna happen].

Anyways, I thought Brexit meant Brexit - such that we can stop having to pay for and be involved [usually as the laughing stock] of this façade

Ironically, the UK treating the competition with such mirth may be part of our decline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PfZPDsACt4

:laugh: Worth the watch.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There is something in that, but if you look over the competition history you see a dramatic decline after 1998.

20 years to 1998- Top ten on 19 out of 20 occasions.
Since 1998- Twice.

If Charlotte Nilsson had sung 'Don't play that song again'....

Sure, there is some "nepotism" in the voting. Balkan states voting for eachother, ex-Soviet states doing it, Nordic countries... and you and Ireland hugging in despair..

But if it was the only thing mattering, the same countries would win every year which is not the case.

Either way... its all shite. Eurovision music is shite.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Sure, there is some "nepotism" in the voting. Balkan states voting for eachother, ex-Soviet states doing it, Nordic countries... and you and Ireland hugging in despair..

But if it was the only thing mattering, the same countries would win every year which is not the case.

Either way... its all shite. Eurovision music is shite.

That's a myth. Ireland averages less than 5 points to us on average.

Malta are our best friends historically, even after Dom Mintoff chucked us out. [MENTION=13309]maltaseagull[/MENTION] will explain that one.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We use z rated acts to represent us. I guarantee that if we had Elton John or Ed Sheeran or Coldplay writing and performing, we would do a lot better.

I'm not sure we'd necessarily win but if you look back to when we did, it was generally when we had established and successful acts

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Correct. We used to be 'good' at Eurosong, but the last 20 or 30 years our results have been terrible. People always look for excuses: "Oh no one likes us because of Empire, defeating Napoleon, football hooliganism, the 100 years war, Thatcher, etc etc etc". (No doubt Brexit and vaccines will get added to the list this year.) However the truth is much simpler: Over the last 20/30 years the UK have performed really badly in Eurosong for one of three reasons:

a) The act is terrible.
b) The song is terrible
c) The act and the song are terrible

As you say, no one listens to the UK entry and says "Wow, I really like that!" Yes there is some nepotism in the voting, but no neutral will vote for bland rubbish.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I haven't seen any odds but, if I were a betting man, I'd be predicting an Iceland win this year. They'd have won comfortably last year, they're sending the same act (as are a lot of countries, UK included) again this year and I think they'll get it.

As for why the UK doesn't do well anymore, there is a political element but it's more than that. I watched the final of Melodifestivalen (the Swedish selection show) a couple of weeks ago and it emphasised the difference between their attitude to the contest and ours.

Theirs is a weeks-long process involving multiple public votes and a final which is basically a mini-Eurovision with international juries involved as well as the public vote so that, in theory, they get a song with appeal across Europe. It also attracts artists who are generally fairly well known in Sweden already whereas established pop acts over here wouldn't touch Eurovision with a bargepole these days and so our selection show (when we have one) is a load of non-entities singing songs that you've forgotten as soon as they finish.

If the BBC was serious about changing our fortunes, the Swedish model, and the consistent recent success it has brought them, would be the way to go IMO.

This is the UK entry this year by the way, not that it's been all that well publicised:

https://youtu.be/BMDGTsa_Qq0

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here