Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Could PPV resume after fans return to grounds

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A snippet from a Telegraph piece about Liverpool (here - doesn't seem to be behind a paywall - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...er-to-do-list-lobbying-pay-per-view-planning/) - is about what happens to games not selected for TV once fans return to grounds and UK broadcasting of the PL reverts to not showing all games.

This summer’s Premier League meetings must address the illogical arguments against the blackout and find an agreeable economic solution which satisfies fans’ needs and allows clubs to retrieve some of the lost revenues of the last 12 months. Going from the current situation where every game (in truth, far too many games) are available, back to one where it is only possible to see certain fixtures with a dodgy phone app makes no sense.

Liverpool have led the arguments when it comes to ensuring non-Sky and BT games - rare as they tend to be - are made available for a price. It’s a thorny subject because less globally popular Premier League clubs see it as a means of the wealthy cashing in so want the principle of collective profit preserved. One set of self-interest capitalists disagrees with another group of self-interested capitalists, allowing tribalist fans to pick a side and assume a non-existent moral high ground.

As one of the clubs which always claims the highest viewing figures - and in principle would generate some of the some of the biggest revenues - if more fixtures became pay-per-view, Liverpool are certain to be cast as profiteering bad guys should they push for permanent change.​

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
50% of the Sky/BT money is lumped in to a pot and shared out evenly between the clubs. The rest is paid for live games and league finishing position. If PPV is to return there needs to be a similar pot split between the clubs. An independent company needs setting up, one that can cope with the technology to stream all games. Remember, all games are covered by TV with full camera setup, so streaming wouldn't cost that much. The profits would then be split evenly between the clubs and maybe even have the lower clubs getting more than those at the top.
Under no circumstances can any club own their own TV rights.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It either needs to be PPV for all games, or for none.

There is no way I'm going to continue paying for Sky and BT every month with the knowledge that some months I'll have essentially paid to watch Chelsea vs Villa on BT/Sky only to have to pay additional money to watch us play away in a less glamourous tie. I'd be very happy to bin Sky and BT with the knowledge I could access a match pass for Albion games I couldn't attend and catch highlights on Match of the Day for everything else, but that would devalue the TV rights deal considerably.

I think, despite the protestations of pundits (who seem to be fed up of having to watch every game for their jobs), the only way forward is to continue to broadcast every Premier League game in this country. Why should being in the country that the games are taking place in hinder your access? The question is how? Do they go OTT Netflix style or do they open up the broadcasting deal to further inflate the income (it would potentially be a way to offset losses suffered from lack of crowds etc. for clubs)?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It either needs to be PPV for all games, or for none.

There is no way I'm going to continue paying for Sky and BT every month with the knowledge that some months I'll have essentially paid to watch Chelsea vs Villa on BT/Sky only to have to pay additional money to watch us play away in a less glamourous tie. I'd be very happy to bin Sky and BT with the knowledge I could access a match pass for Albion games I couldn't attend and catch highlights on Match of the Day for everything else, but that would devalue the TV rights deal considerably.

I think, despite the protestations of pundits (who seem to be fed up of having to watch every game for their jobs), the only way forward is to continue to broadcast every Premier League game in this country. Why should being in the country that the games are taking place in hinder your access? The question is how? Do they go OTT Netflix style or do they open up the broadcasting deal to further inflate the income (it would potentially be a way to offset losses suffered from lack of crowds etc. for clubs)?

Surely the answer is in renegotiating the broadcasting deal wit Sky BT etc.

All matches should now be televised. None should be PPV on a individual basis though

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
The problem I have with televising all games when fans are back is that we'll continue to have these stupid kick off times. It was bad enough before covid with having to travel back from somewhere up north for 17:30 kick offs let alone Sunday night 18:00 or Saturday night 20:00 kick offs! Presumably they'll have to bin off the mid week 18:00 kick off slot.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The problem I have with televising all games when fans are back is that we'll continue to have these stupid kick off times. It was bad enough before covid with having to travel back from somewhere up north for 17:30 kick offs let alone Sunday night 18:00 or Saturday night 20:00 kick offs! Presumably they'll have to bin off the mid week 18:00 kick off slot.

It is an unfortunate side effect of all games being on tv however if they take into account travelling distances for fans when picking live games and the kick off times it could work. However, I doubt whether any tv company gives two hoots about fans in stadiums.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The telegraph seem to think it bizarre that 3pm kick offs can't be televised in the UK. Perhaps they have fallen into the EPL marketing machine trap of believing that the only football is top flight football. The rest of the football tier is likely to suffer because of live tv shown at 3pm. Possibly not in the short term but over the long term it will be harder to attract new fans when they can watch top football on the box.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I really hope not, watching every one of our games this season has taught me that a break is really good when you’re a Brighton fan, I am a season ticket holder but I don’t feel anywhere near the frustration at the games as I do watching on TV.

It’s like some kind of Stockholm syndrome, the amount of games I’ve finished watching and declared I won’t be watching next time before storming out the room with frustration at watching us miss 47 open goals, only to not be able to resist mentally torturing myself again next week.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Surely the answer is in renegotiating the broadcasting deal wit Sky BT etc.

All matches should now be televised. None should be PPV on a individual basis though

My point put far more eloquently!

It seems like the obvious solution. Though the long term plan has to be OTT for the PL.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think PPV would be a real winner for just about any club with a worldwide following. And I don't mean double-charging those who already shelled out for a ST. I mean the Albion diaspora who don't necessarily want to hand money over to Sky for other stuff they're not really interested in. Even MOTD IMHO is best watched with pre-knowledge of the running order so you have to watch as little of it as possible

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I really hope not, watching every one of our games this season has taught me that a break is really good when you’re a Brighton fan, I am a season ticket holder but I don’t feel anywhere near the frustration at the games as I do watching on TV.

It’s like some kind of Stockholm syndrome, the amount of games I’ve finished watching and declared I won’t be watching next time before storming out the room with frustration at watching us miss 47 open goals, only to not be able to resist mentally torturing myself again next week.

Is this not less to do with watching it on TV and more to do with the sort of games there have been this season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here