Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] USB Type C charging ports

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Does anyone else fine these prone to breaking?

first phone - charging port lasted 6 months, got a replacement and exactly the same happened. (now have a wireless charger)

Chromebook bought for daughter in January - already broken.

Are they utter gash or is it just me?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have multiple devices which use USB-C charging ports - phone, Chromebook, Macbook. I develop mobile apps, so I'm always plugging and unplugging the cable from my phone. I've never had a problem with them myself

My boss did have issues with the port on his Pixel phone though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
try magnetic charge cable, plug stays in socket so no deterioration from repeated pluging in/out.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Specific manufacturers seem to use really crap ones - HMD/Nokia come to mind. I'm not sure the standard is designed well enough either though.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I think they're better than the old ones.

I've got a Samsung S10 with 6 months left on the contract. Last week it started saying it wasnt fast charging and a message on screen saying to use the lead supplied with the phone.... but I am....

So it now takes 4-5 hours to charge it to 100% instead of 90m from nearly flat:tantrum:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
The one that came with iPhone lasted about 6 months.

I bought a replacement on Amazon for £12 that came with, allegedly, a lifetime warranty. I’m on my 2nd one within 3 months! To be fair they sent me a new one without question.

I was asked last week to test & keep an USB to USB-C adapter. Works well but I guess some charging speed will be lost.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

I've got a Samsung S10 with 6 months left on the contract. Last week it started saying it wasnt fast charging and a message on screen saying to use the lead supplied with the phone.... but I am....

So it now takes 4-5 hours to charge it to 100% instead of 90m from nearly flat:tantrum:

I have the same issue with the s10 plus, also no longer does data transfer so no connection with android auto. I tired cleaning as per online advice but made no difference.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

That could be the cable rather than the port. I had a similar issue a few months ago and bought a replacement cable. It's fine now.

I had to do the same with an iPhone cable too. It was twice the price of course. Thankfully it was all company expenses.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Will an iphone 5 SE support a wireless charger? I have endless problems where it wont charge unless I put a tiny drop of water on the charger and even then, maybe. It's stressing me out and Tesco mobile are really messing me about with an upgrade.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018

I had this issue on my previous phone (not Samsung).
It was caused by a software update and just required a factory reset.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The Mrs has a galaxy something, I've got an Xperia 1 and my PS5 uses usb-c and all have been great. No issues and charge really fast.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here