Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 22 WSL games to be shown live on BBC TV from next season

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Women’s football will get season long network TV coverage from next season.

I’m sure it will get an audience, but I do get the feeling that we appear to be constantly bombarded into almost being made to embrace women’s sport, be it cricket or football.

Whilst I fully support development of all youngsters to play any sport, I don’t really follow the Albion ladies team, am I in the NSC majority or minority on this?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I’m sure it will get an audience, but I do get the feeling that we appear to be constantly bombarded into almost being made to embrace women’s sport, be it cricket or football.

Whilst I fully support development of all youngsters to play any sport, I don’t really follow the Albion ladies team, am I in the NSC majority or minority on this?

Zero interest here but I am a dinosaur and I feel the same about women’s rugby. I don’t like cricket full stop :shrug:

It will, of course, have an audience and it’ll be interesting to see if it is big enough to get renewed.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

I like to see them do well. Don't follow closely but watch the highlights on the app.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

Jesus, are you so weak that you feel being exposed to a sport on TV will make you like it against your will? Exposure to golf, F1, basketball on TV does not make me like any of those tedious sports even a tiny bit. I'll look forward to watching the Albion women on TV, although I suspect we won't see much of them unless they are playing Chelsea, Arsenal, etc, etc...

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It's all the BBC can afford.

It's being pushed onto us and personally I have very little interest. i did go to the Women's international at the Amex out of curiosity but I felt the players lacked the power/speed of the men's game (shots were powderpuff, tackles lady like, goalkeeping farcical).

However, as I'm sure there is interest from others, I don't have a problem with it being on the BBC.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Needs a poll - 'Yes, I will watch it' or 'No, I won't watch it'.

FWIW, no I won't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve watched a lot of live Women’s Championship games this season via club youtube channels or on the FA Player which they select a game or two each weekend for........quite enjoyable. Standard is surprisingly high and no VAR or playacting.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Made to embrace"? I don't think so. It's not the old days with only three or four terrestrial channels where people would gather round the telly as a family, even if what was on was utter gash. There are literally hundreds of channels, on demand, Netflix, NSC and other social media as well as the radio and books. No one is forcing you.

I don't personally think there'll be a massive audience. If my daughter wants to watch our games then I'll watch with her as it's only fair, I watch all the men's games with my son. On my own? No interest whatsoever.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Brighton women’s team have improved massively over the last 4-5 years . I think the standard is actually quite high now .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Have dipped toes into a few games this season but the quality is so poor.

If there was big crowds watching then would probably be watchable though

Football is about history and the fans really. Football without fans just isnt the same.

If you can get the big crowds and passion the mens game gets then it would have a chance .

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Jesus, are you so weak that you feel being exposed to a sport on TV will make you like it against your will? Exposure to golf, F1, basketball on TV does not make me like any of those tedious sports even a tiny bit. I'll look forward to watching the Albion women on TV, although I suspect we won't see much of them unless they are playing Chelsea, Arsenal, etc, etc...

Jesus, do you need to be so angry?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
GT can you do the honours please, I am a techno dinousaur

82bd5575a64a233f1218e01c67036984.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Extra coverage is great news for Tony and the women's team. Pleased for them, and hope it grows.

Personally not interested in it it, and block it from social media, but don't get angry about it...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Don't really understand the issue with more football being available free on TV.

I'd rather be bombarded to watch Women's Football than Line Of Duty, The Circle or the Gemma Collins Podcast which is what happens now

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Good news. If it's on main TV I'll probably watch more often and if I enjoy it maybe I will start to follow the women's team more than I do now.

If I don't enjoy it then I won't watch it. I manage to do that with most of the shite being broadcast these days. I mean, Love Island Australia. Really? Why are we being bombarded with THAT kind of nonsense every evening?

You want to have the mans team on the big telly for free as well? Then talk to the money men. If the whole sport wasn't so greedy...

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Calm down dear, I was merely saying there has been a huge push to make the sports popular on TV and in the mainstream.

Case in point, pre lockdown I was at work and Harty Junior and I both received an email from the club stating "Injury concerns ahead of Everton clash", I thought it must be wrong because we weren't playing Everton that week, we'd beaten them a month or so beforehand, with the VAR penalty, it was only on opening the email I realised it was about the Albion's women team, I wonder how many other Albion fans did the very same thing?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Excellent. Our women's team is the most successful Brighton side ever, currently sixth in the table and this news means more focus, more money, more opportunity. Looking forward to going to some games when we're allowed.

Have never understood those people who write 'no interest' - it's a team in blue and white stripes called Brighton and Hove Albion playing football. No interest? Really? How do otherwise passionate Albion fans explain that?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Excellent. Our women's team is the most successful Brighton side ever, currently sixth in the table and this news means more focus, more money, more opportunity. Looking forward to going to some games when we're allowed.

Have never understood those people who write 'no interest' - it's a team in blue and white stripes called Brighton and Hove Albion playing football. No interest? Really? How do otherwise passionate Albion fans explain that?

Indeed. I haven't gone to our u23s for years, and I don't follow the kids or wheelchair teams etc. Bit if if an Albion team of any sort was on telly I'd give it a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here