Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's tactics against Newcastle?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If anyone finds an article or podcast explaining the wizardry that Potter performed with his tactics then please share it.

Myself, Steve Bruce and the Newcastle defence are still trying to work it out.

MOTD showed a graphic of a few occasions when Welbeck was wide left, Maupay was wide right, with Moder arriving late in the middle.
It was clearly a masterclass but it has still left me struggling to understand what the hell was happening and who was supposed to be doing what.

One highlight of the evening was when Dubravka took time to get treatment and the camera focused on Steve Bruce, Graeme Jones and the Newcastle players trying to fathom out who should be doing what.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
We basically played with just three defenders. No wonder Bruce got confused. Master class from Potter.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It was good to see him be proactive with his team selection, we knew Newcastle would just try to park the bus so we played a much more attacking system than usual, I know Moder/Gross were meant to be wing backs but they played more like wide midfielders or wingers most of the time because Newcastle are so negative we could safely play that way.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Amazing that we bring in a player who has never played left wing back before, and within minutes he's cropping up as our centre forward.

It's madness I tell ya.

Not sure he even played wing back tbh! Was kind of an inverted winger...I think! Bombing into the space made when Welbeck went wide, terrific stuff.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Match of the day for once did quite a nice break down or our tactics.

Having Maupay and Welbeck wide but cutting in left space for Tross and others like Moder to run into.

Quite original.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
What formation were we even playing? It seemed so fluid & changing every 10 minutes. Bruce must have been so confused, and each time he figured out what was going on it then changes again.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Bruce should have known because it was what he was doing a few weeks ago.i thought it was split strikers, with Trossard at number ten coming from a depper lying position. Difference to Bruce the dinosaur was that our wider midfielders were also encouraged to run through the gaps ahead of Maupay and Welbeck. I also thought it wasnt really wingbacks and more of an orthodox 4 man midfield. But then again I could be completely wrong.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Welbeck/Maupay close/narrow when ball is with our defence.
Central defenders therefore mark them
Then as we move up the pitch, the go out wide.
Central defenders either leave them (so W/M have space and can receive ball).
If central defenders follow/mark them, that creates space in middle for Gross/Moder who cut in. Then Newcastle have to work out who to mark Gross/Moder.
I suspect a better oppo/manager would have gone to 3 a the back (with assisting wing backs to mark Welb/Maupay) to deal with this, 4 at the back would not work well.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It was like we had a Dirk Kyut on each wing, playing in that wide striker role he once played for Liverpool.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If anyone finds an article or podcast explaining the wizardry that Potter performed with his tactics then please share it.

Myself, Steve Bruce and the Newcastle defence are still trying to work it out.

... Welbeck was wide left, Maupay was wide right, with Moder arriving late in the middle.

It was clearly a masterclass but it has still left me struggling to understand what the hell was happening and who was supposed to be doing what.

By my powers of deduction, I think I may have worked it out; Welbeck was wide left, Maupay was wide right, with Moder arriving late in the middle.

:thumbsup:

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
It reminded me of small sided games, where players are given positions but have so much freedom to drift and pop up wherever they want when we have possession.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said elsewhere I think it was something like:-

Sanchez in goal.

Dunk centre back

Bissouma deep lying centre midfield.

Now it gets a bit fuzzy.

Veltman and White - centre/wing back inside midfielders.

Groß and Moder inside forwards, from a wing back position.

Lallana halfway to box.

Wellbeck and Maupay winger centre forwards.

Trossard deep lying false inside centre forward.

All fairly straight forward. :facepalm:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I think the world and his dog knew Bruce would set them up defensively in a 4,3,3 and their approach would be ridiculously cautious, which probably helped with GP’s planning

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Match of the day for once did quite a nice break down or our tactics.

Having Maupay and Welbeck wide but cutting in left space for Tross and others like Moder to run into.

Quite original.

Bruce just didn't know how to deal with that

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not sure why people are so hung up on systems, but to my untrained eye it was a 3 4 1 2 without a central striker, the 2 strikers were told to play wide to pull their central defenders apart leaving space for the Number 10 (Tross) and the wide midfielders (Gross and Moder) to exploit the space in the middle, whilst nullifying the 3 Newcastle midfielders using a high, almost mob like press when we didn't have the ball.

Call it what you like. I thought it was great but it would probably only work against a bunch of overpaid donkeys intent on doing sweet fa with the ball. So for Newcastle, it was perfect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Newcastle set up looked familiar to me :wink:

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
As said elsewhere I think it was something like:-

Sanchez in goal.

Dunk centre back

Bissouma deep lying centre midfield.

Now it gets a bit fuzzy.

Veltman and White - centre/wing back inside midfielders.

Groß and Moder inside forwards, from a wing back position.

Lallana halfway to box.

Wellbeck and Maupay winger centre forwards.

Trossard deep lying false inside centre forward.

All fairly straight forward. :facepalm:

Yes that seems about right to me , in future we can just refer to it as the old 1-1-1-2-2-1-1-2 ! lol

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here