Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay stats vs other PL strikers this season

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Maupay has now scored the same number of goals this season as forum favourite Danny Ings (8). And 1 less than Rashford and Aubameyang.

His shot accuracy (57%) is higher this season than Kane’s (47%), Bamford (51%) and Mane (50%).

And surprising of all... Maupay’s goal conversion percentage (19%) is only fractionally below Kane’s (20%).

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
He's gone through some serious dry patches this season but if he can get to 10 or more goals again this season then that's not a bad return. Next season we need another striker doing the same though.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
His shot accuracy is higher because he fluffs the ball at the keeper most of the time, the shot from that cut back that was blocked summed Maupays season up IMO.

Great finish last night but doesn’t change the fact he’s had a poor season, my eyes tell me that I don’t need stats to confirm that. Put Ings in our team he’d have scored 20 this season IMO. (If he’d been fit the whole time as Maupay has)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
His shot accuracy is higher because he fluffs the ball at the keeper most of the time, the shot from that cut back that was blocked summed Maupays season up IMO.

Great finish last night but doesn’t change the fact he’s had a poor season, my eyes tell me that I don’t need stats to confirm that. Put Ings in our team he’d have scored 20 this season IMO. (If he’d been fit the whole time as Maupay has)

I defiantly think we need competition for Maupay [emoji106] But is surprising how his stats aren’t quite as bad as other strikers when you compare them.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Maupay has now scored the same number of goals this season as forum favourite Danny Ings (8). And 1 less than Rashford and Aubameyang.

His shot accuracy (57%) is higher this season than Kane’s (47%), Bamford (51%) and Mane (50%).

And surprising of all... Maupay’s goal conversion percentage (19%) is only fractionally below Kane’s (20%).

Stats don't always tell the whole story though do they. Goals scored for doesn't take in to consideration minutes on the pitch and Danny Ings for example has had a lot of the season out injured.

I do actually think Maupay is quite clinical in front of goal and the goal yesterday was an example of this, but his main problem seems to be getting in to the positions where he can take a shot. At times this season its seemed to me like he is running through treacle when one on one with a defender and his first touch also often lets him down.

SCassidy

Dec 2, 2020
Furthermore, Maupay adds so much more to the team than goals. His flick to Trossard in the lead up to Welbeck's goal last night looked simple enough, but it required vision, composure and an understanding with Trossard which isn't easy to come by in strikers.

He works very hard, cares a lot, and winds up opposition fans and players. I for one absolutely love him.

But if you're reading this Mr. Bloom, you still need to invest in a better finisher if you want us finishing top 10. We are lucky to have Maupay, but he's not the answer to our woeful conversion rate.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Furthermore, Maupay adds so much more to the team than goals. His flick to Trossard in the lead up to Welbeck's goal last night looked simple enough, but it required vision, composure and an understanding with Trossard which isn't easy to come by in strikers.

He works very hard, cares a lot, and winds up opposition fans and players. I for one absolutely love him.

But if you're reading this Mr. Bloom, you still need to invest in a better finisher if you want us finishing top 10. We are lucky to have Maupay, but he's not the answer to our woeful conversion rate.

The thing is, a bit like another Frenchman with passion we had in our team, he wants to do more than he does and that gets in the way of him actually doing what he should.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Yes.

The above is an excellent example of why stats are less helpful that your own eyes.

I think he has had a poor season, though i'm delighted for him as I think that was the best goal he scored yesterday. The next few games for him are about convincing the club we don't need to go big for a replacement in the summer

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yes.

The above is an excellent example of why stats are less helpful that your own eyes.

I think he has had a poor season, though i'm delighted for him as I think that was the best goal he scored yesterday. The next few games for him are about convincing the club we don't need to go big for a replacement in the summer

Even if he does get another 2-3-4 goals this season, it doesn't paper over the cracks of many missed chances. Too many. We create quite a lot and have to convert more. Loan out Connolly and make a move for Ivan Toney. He will get double figures in a PL season.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Even if he does get another 2-3-4 goals this season, it doesn't paper over the cracks of many missed chances. Too many. We create quite a lot and have to convert more. Loan out Connolly and make a move for Ivan Toney. He will get double figures in a PL season.

You want to replace a Brentford striker who scored for fun with them for a Brentford striker who is scoring for fun with them? And the second one is guaranteed to be better than the first one?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes.

We definitely need more competition up front.

Here’s hoping we land a Nunez type.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

He has the ability to fluff the ball on target rather than fluff it wide?! :lol: the mans a genius!

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I am not his biggest fan but he has only scored 2 less than Watkins,£30 million and 70 grand a week! They have played the same number of games and same shot accuracy.

Not bad for a £16 million striker.He looks a different player with Welbeck alongside him.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He has the ability to fluff the ball on target rather than fluff it wide?! :lol: the mans a genius!

Have you not noticed his propensity for getting his shots on target but with no conviction?

I have felt sympathy for Maupay this season as it’s clear he’s had a confidence crisis, but 8 goals when we create the amount we have says it all. If you look at 8 goals for a team where we are as a whole it may not seem bad but we aren’t the usual team in that position, we’ve had like 80 shots in our last 5 games :lolol:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You want to replace a Brentford striker who scored for fun with them for a Brentford striker who is scoring for fun with them? And the second one is guaranteed to be better than the first one?

No...I don't.
I want to keep Maupay and play the two together. Use Welbeck tactically and see how Zeqiri and Tau develop ( although, not convinced about either ) Not sure Connolly is good enough, so let him have a season in the Championship and lets see if he can score regularly at that level.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Have you not noticed his propensity for getting his shots on target but with no conviction?

I have felt sympathy for Maupay this season as it’s clear he’s had a confidence crisis, but 8 goals when we create the amount we have says it all. If you look at 8 goals for a team where we are as a whole it may not seem bad but we aren’t the usual team in that position, we’ve had like 80 shots in our last 5 games :lolol:

Yes...we need to up the percentages.
We won't get extra goals from Connolly, Tau or Zeqiri so we need fresh blood.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Not defending his goal scoring - he’s not a good chance taker / finisher - just found your analogy funny. It’s a tough one as he offers so much and it seems his stats aren’t as bad as you’d think. We were in for Nunez so I guess we’d be prepared to go out for a striker if the right one comes up - I’d def have Maupay in my squad though and think he’s been a decent signing overall.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bloody hell. Poor old Tau had hardly played?[emoji38]

I think the muppets on social media who are South African have not helped our fans’ perception of Tau. They just irritate and go on about BHA from a one player perspective - they can piss off. Potter doesn’t seem to think he’s ready yet. Did look class against Man City but had very few chances since and didn’t look so good. Time will tell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here